I prefer the old shape as well.

Is it normal to run a business from Facebook?
So annoying missing out on updates for those of that don't use it.

Yep, i own an Alumigoose which they sold me with a S/S handle, a B3 and i've owned a B2, so much for brand loyalty
The email was pretty blunt, all sales will now be though outlets and heads/handles will not be sold separately
Tbh i'm in two minds whether i'll keep it when it comes back from the pass a round, if i do i'll get a titanium from Jürgen and get it anodised black

I had always thought this phenomenon was peculiarly British -

Me: "I would like to buy your goods in exchange for this large handful of money".
Them: " Money? Oooh... not sure about that guv. Bit tricky! Not sure we're set up for that sort of thing".

Seems to be spreading!

Yeah I bought a couch in a sale before Christmas. After doing the paperwork and arranging a delivery date...

The guy...''Payment by card I presume?''
Me...''Cash''
The guy...''Oh we don't like working with cash''
Me...''Yeah but I do'' and slapped the folding stuff on the table.

He wasn't impressed and got a Her from somewhere to observe the transaction.
Between them Him and Her counted the dosh twice each. Distinctly odd.

Yeah I bought a couch in a sale before Christmas. After doing the paperwork and arranging a delivery date...

The guy...''Payment by card I presume?''
Me...''Cash''
The guy...''Oh we don't like working with cash''
Me...''Yeah but I do'' and slapped the folding stuff on the table.

He wasn't impressed and got a Her from somewhere to observe the transaction.
Between them Him and Her counted the dosh twice each. Distinctly odd.

All comes down to one word..........WWWBanking. Apart from having to physically take the readys there, they get charged around 20% for working with cash!!

So you can't buy the heads seperately anymore?

Bollocks to them then.

The only reason I didn't buy a handle with my B3 head was I didn't like the handles they were offering.

I much prefer the Ikon SE handle I have on it.

I've now had an email about this from Mongoose. They'll be building an "interested" list, then passing it on to their selected outlets for confirmation, action of order etc. They don't say who these parties will be.
They estimate that the price will be about $US99, with shipping costs, to be determined by the sellers, on top.
By my calculations, with shipping, VAT and RM fee, it'll probably cost just shy of £100 for those of us in the UK. That's assuming there aren't further costs involved in the payment transaction.

Here's the email:-
Thank you for interest in the new AlumiGoose from Mongoose Razors - we really appreciate it. As you may know, the “working face” of the head has same great geometry as the stainless steel, but it is manufactured of lighter weight aluminum. We have done a little redesigning of the head to give it an even smaller profile and created a nicely balanced hex-shaped handle to go with it.

We are in full production of the AlumiGoose now, with inventory starting to ramp up. Unlike in the past, we will be selling the AlumiGoose through a couple of the online shops (as opposed to the direct Mongoose-to-Customer model we have been using). This will let you buy the razor, blades and any other shave-related things you need in one stop. We will take your name and email (please make sure we have your actual name and not an email nickname or first name only) for your interest in the AlumiGoose. As soon as we're ready for market (in the next several weeks) we will contact you, likely in conjunction with the selected vendors, with all purchasing information. Pricing is expected to be about $99 (not including shipping – our resellers will determine shipping).

Last edited:
Update as at 9th March, 2016.

As Mongoose had promised, and as a previous customer on their "Want to buy-please notify" list, I had an email today from Maggard advising that a limited number of Alumigooses(-geese) were available for purchase, with preference to those on the list. Only 1 per customer (enforced, and quite right too), and choice of black or silver/grey if you pulled out your digit, otherwise pot-luck. 48 hour deadline to reply/reserve/buy, otherwise back on the waiting list or adhoc purchase.
I've bought a black one (USD $99 plus shipping $28 plus HMRC/RM tax etc.-probably about another sterling £26).

Yet another strange way for Mongoose to conduct business. I have been down the road with them before. They have 2 USA vendors Maggard Razors and Straight Razor Designs. They chose to sell the Alumigoose through Maggard only at this time. I am on their list but received no email today about availability from Maggard. I guess I am all the way down on their list. The dreaded list. But both vendors have been re-stocked with the satin Mongoose razors with no site advertisement for the Alumigoose. I can't wait for iKon and Bullgoose Shaving to come out with their own SE AC razors probably end of year for next year.

Yet another strange way for Mongoose to conduct business. I have been down the road with them before. They have 2 USA vendors Maggard Razors and Straight Razor Designs. They chose to sell the Alumigoose through Maggard only at this time. I am on their list but received no email today about availability from Maggard. I guess I am all the way down on their list. The dreaded list. But both vendors have been re-stocked with the satin Mongoose razors with no site advertisement for the Alumigoose. I can't wait for iKon and Bullgoose Shaving to come out with their own SE AC razors probably end of year for next year.
Very odd, as I thought that all parties had now got this sorted out, administratively speaking. I guess that the Alumigoose hasn't been advertised, at least at MR, until the subscribed list has been dealt with. There was a limited number of razors in stock mentioned (don't have the exact number to hand at the moment). If the Kickstarter goes OK, which I hope as I'm a backer, then the Single Edge will presumably go on general sale this half, and there is another SE due from Razorock, which doubtless will be the usual buying stampede.
Edit
I've just seen a belated email from Mongoose, which says contact from MR will be in the order that we were put on the Mongoose list. I've been in touch with them more than once and going back to before the Alumigoose was even in production. They also say they're ramping up production and should be enough to go around without punters resorting to eBay or BST.

Last edited:
Very odd, as I thought that all parties had now got this sorted out, administratively speaking. I guess that the Alumigoose hasn't been advertised, at least at MR, until the subscribed list has been dealt with. There was a limited number of razors in stock mentioned (don't have the exact number to hand at the moment). If the Kickstarter goes OK, which I hope as I'm a backer, then the Single Edge will presumably go on general sale this half, and there is another SE due from Razorock, which doubtless will be the usual buying stampede.
Edit
I've just seen a belated email from Mongoose, which says contact from MR will be in the order that we were put on the Mongoose list. I've been in touch with them more than once and going back to before the Alumigoose was even in production. They also say they're ramping up production and should be enough to go around without punters resorting to eBay or BST.

If Mongoose would have just supplied Maggard & SRD with Alumigoose razors as they did with the satin Mongoose without a list this would go much smoother. I tried calling Maggard today but this is their early day to close so I will try Thursday. I want to know where I am on their list. I would also get free shipping in the USA because the razor is over $75.
Don't count on Razorock creating an SE (The Hawk). That I think was a teaser. Within a year iKon will have a Shavecraft SE and so will Phil @ Bullgoose.

Well, that's darn good. My Alumigoose left Maggard in Michigan at 5 p.m. on Wednesday 9th March. I opted for DHL Express International delivery, which was about $4 dearer than USPS. The razor has just been delivered to my door in East Anglia at 3 p.m., today, Friday 11th March. Less than 48 hours end to end, and no "extras" either.
Hats off to Maggard and DHL.

Back
Top Bottom