BBS - Good name for a shaving soap??

Gentlemen,
Once again I call on your assistance and expertise in all matters shaving related. Now that I am within sight of selling what I hope will be a good product, I need a name for it. I am sticking with my name of 'Nanny's Silly Soap Company' for the overall name for all my soaps. For one thing I've bought the domain name now <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nannyssillysoap.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nannyssillysoap.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> and the .com one :)
However, I thought (mindful of some negative comments about the 'tweeness' of Mama Bear's soap labels, decided that I would just put Nanny's Silly Soap Company in small letters on the label, and use a different name in big for the shaving soap - this is of course if I ever get as far as professional looking labels etc.
So I'm toying with the idea of BBS and then the name of the scent. What do people think? Any other suggestions welcome. I like BBS as I think it's a bit of fun; but might it alienate the gentleman of more refined and discerning tastes - who is of course my target market??

While BBS is a recognized acronym in shaving forum circles, in the shaving community at large, it may not be so. In fact the first thing that comes to mind when I see the BBS acronym is bulletin board system.

I would opt for something with lather in it. Lathermeister shaving soap?

Or something French? Savon de ...

Anyway, I don't think a fancy name is the most important issue here. You already have a brand/trade mark name. Your label should clearly state that it is a shaving soap, and may somewhere refer to the fact that, unlike many 'artisanal shaving soaps', it is actually made to a true shaving soap formula. That should probably do the trick.

I fail to see anything objectionable about the expression "Billiard Ball Smoothness".
It is redolent of leather armchairs, brandy & the odour of a good Havana, and the anticipation of a convivial evening with the chaps in the billiard room.

No.

If you call a soap BBS, I suspect that customers will see that as a claim to it's perfomance and not as merely a fun name for a product. I know that sounds stupid, but quite a lot of people are, and having worked in/managed a technical support department that deals with end users for the past 6 years, I know that you have to be VERY careful with these things.

Ian

henkverhaar said:
Anyway, I don't think a fancy name is the most important issue here. You already have a brand/trade mark name. Your label should clearly state that it is a shaving soap, and may somewhere refer to the fact that, unlike many 'artisanal shaving soaps', it is actually made to a true shaving soap formula.

+1. Very good advice. Henk's 'Lathermeister Shaving Soap' has a nice ring to it.

How about: 'Old-School Shaving Soap'....'For a damn fine shave!'

As to lathermeister....too German sounding; I think I might as well play on Englishness, as I am half English, and am based here. Or Irishness........ Shamrock Shaving Saop!? Leprechaun Lather? Now I'm getting as silly as Revo :)
Old School........a bit too exclusive maybe, has some unfortunate connotations that might put some people off?

I don't know what's wrong with just giving it your own surname and then calling it "Blend No. #".
You know the sort of thing - " So-and-so's Special Blend (or formula) No. #"
Simple, plain and dignified.

Back
Top Bottom