BBS - Good name for a shaving soap??

henkverhaar said:
Yeah, yeah, just make fun of it. The time will come that you also need all the help that you can get, when changing flies for the umptieth time, searching for that elusive imitation that the randomly rising grayling will take with the reckless abandon that is the hallmark of Norwegian ladies of the lakes...

Not going to happen here any time soon - fish gives me the dry boak.

henkverhaar said:
soapalchemist said:
I still don't understand why you need to watch TV while fishing?????

'cause fishing is really boring? ;-)

They're reading magnifyers -- hateyes. I have multifocals, but for really close work, I still need the magnifyers.

Henk

Ah, now I understand; it's so you can see what you're doing when you have to get those tiny fish off the hook. :lol:

Tewdric - are those the names that sum up expensive quality item to you??

Sharon: it rather depends on which identity you wish to promote: Nanny with her silly soap, or the more mysterious and authoritative Soap Alchemist. Frankly I'd run a mile from the former as a potential purchaser, after all, if you're bloody minded enough to seek out traditional shaving products, you've probably got Savile Row and Jermyn Street on your mind, not soap which comes in a box with a clown on it.

So, I'm assuming that you're going with Soap Alchemist. As so often I find myself in broad agreement with Sir Prize (who positively reeks of sophistication), so "Formulation No. 1" or "Shaving Soap No.1" would be strong candidates; also "Best Quality Shaving Soap" or "Superior Shaving Soap". If you want to play up the alchemy thing, why not "Gold Brand", or even (god help us) "The Philosopher's Soap", in a wrapper tricked out with arcane symbols. But you'd probably do best to go with something understated and classy.

Arrowhead said:
Sharon: it rather depends on which identity you wish to promote: Nanny with her silly soap, or the more mysterious and authoritative Soap Alchemist. Frankly I'd run a mile from the former as a potential purchaser, after all, if you're bloody minded enough to seek out traditional shaving products, you've probably got Savile Row and Jermyn Street on your mind, not soap which comes in a box with a clown on it.

So, I'm assuming that you're going with Soap Alchemist. As so often I find myself in broad agreement with Sir Prize (who positively reeks of sophistication), so "Formulation No. 1" or "Shaving Soap No.1" would be strong candidates; also "Best Quality Shaving Soap" or "Superior Shaving Soap". If you want to play up the alchemy thing, why not "Gold Brand", or even (god help us) "The Philosopher's Soap", in a wrapper tricked out with arcane symbols. But you'd probably do best to go with something understated and classy.

I wish you hadn't said you'ld run a mile from 'Nanny's Silly Soap' when I've just gone and bought the domain name!!! Still, myterious and authoritive sounds good to me. Of course, the grandchildren may never forgive me. But business is business, and that's a lesson they aren't too young to learn - the hard way. :twisted:
I'll just have to have the NSS name in very small letters.
Funny you should mention gold....I'm planning a soap (not shaving soap) with frankincense, myrrh and real gold flakes in it for Christmas. Don't think it would work for shaving, although then again, the gold is so soft, I don't suppose it would blunt your razor.
I can of course only concur with your opinion of Sir Prize.

I think a Sir Prize Appreciation thread might be in order: Fido, PigCat and I have all had one.

Surely none of these sites pay homage to our man of means and taste . . . .

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.anton-group.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.anton-group.com</a><!-- w -->

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.antongroup.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.antongroup.co.uk</a><!-- w -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sirprize.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sirprize.net/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8GOYCW7r_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8GOYCW7r_I</a><!-- m -->

sorry, I meant this <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=33&t=790</a><!-- l -->

I have to agree with SirPrize and Arrowhead - 'Simple and understated' fits best with the mentality of the customer base. Especially when you are making hand-made products.

That said, Mama Bear and Honeybee Spa are both rather 'cutesy' brands and are fairly successful - maybe we're being overly critical!

Honest, straightforward labelling never hurt a boutique business, and whilst coming up with a brand name is always fun, I would suggest that a good reputation amongst loyal, repeat customers might be a far more important factor! (i.e. name it "satan's snot" for all we care - those of us who've tried it will still provide positive feedback to prospective purchasers) ;)

By golly Neo, I think you may have it! Satan's Snot has a certain ring to it, no?? A littly chlorophyll extract for a green tinge, the consistency of Henk's when it's been wet a few times, and I could be onto a real winner....if only ten year olds shaved. :lol:
I know the name shouldn't matter, and probably doesn't once it's been tried, but I think when someone is wondering whether to buy for the first time, then the name and packaging do have an influence.
I do quite like Soap Alchemtist; but is it simple and understated?

I think Soap Alchemist is fine, distinctive but not daft. Neo is right that the name really doesn't matter as much as word of mouth recommendation, after all, covering your face with Mitchell's Wool Fat does not sound a particularly enticing prospect: it's the reputation which sells it. How do you intend to package the soap, by the way?

Been watching this one with interest. I agree with Andy's last post. Word of mouth is important, but grabbing the attention of new possible customers is also important. I do think you are onto a winner with Soap Alchemist, it has that traditional ring to it, refined and not too over the top. Alchemy at it's basest was attempting to transform base metals into gold, perhaps this could be used as a marketing line,"Transforming what most of us once treated as an expensive, time wasting, sometimes painful experience into an indulgent, pleasurable ritual harking back to a golden age"
Sorry, I came over all luvie there :oops: :oops:
Showed the thread to my wife, she is a shopper' s shopper. She thought Soap Alchemy was A1, your website name and current trading name, not so good, sorry! I really wish you well.

Darn! Maybe I should have done this consultation BEFORE buying the domain name. I've certainly had mixed reactions to Nanny's Silly Soap Company; some people really like it, but it has to be said that many don't.
I was already thinking 'Soap Alchemy'; as opposed to 'The Soap Alchemist', it has the advantage of being shorter and easier therefore to fit onto a small soap label.
Sir Prize, what do you think of 'Soap Alchemy'. I think it has a nice ring to it, and sums up the whole process which is taking simple natural ingredients and turning them into something else by means of a chemical reaction (all in a days work for Dr. Henk of course, but it still gives me a thrill).
May have to change the website title on home page to read something like 'Nannys Silly Soap Company incorporating Soap Alchemy Gentlemens shaving soaps'???
All further comments welcome.

rangers62 said:
"Transforming what most of us once treated as an expensive, time wasting, sometimes painful experience into an indulgent, pleasurable ritual harking back to a golden age"

I thought that was what wet shaving was all about! Or is it just to do with getting a closer shave??

Back
Top Bottom