BIG Scents

I know I can google for "80s Powerhouse Scents", in fact ... have, and while it is useful, it's not quite all the way there in terms of helping me find my next big scent.

I like Quorum, Eucris, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, largely because they are heavy on the oakmoss which is like catnip to me but more specifically because they have another note which is as strong and so defining for the scent.

I'm rather into floral soaps at the moment - so, rose, violet, lavender and so on. I like that I can pick up on these in an EDT as well as perhaps go via a fleeting aftershave with that same floral note.

I'm after something BIG, heavy and violet. Violet, not violent. Geoffrey Beene? On paper, it looks perfect and it's cheap as chips! Lavender, perhaps Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. I've got rose covered with Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme.

As an aside, I tried out a number of select scents today and discarded most as being a but light. I went after a few violets and they all pretty much just disappeared after a few minutes; Dior Fahrenheit, for example.

In terms of strength, I found Chanel Antaeus very much to my liking but it lacked that "something else" I'm after. I also found it just a little light, curiously, whereas I find Kourous (tried before) too strong - perhaps I overdid the spraying that day.

So, something between those two with a secondary strong floral note - violet would be great. To go back to the beginning, Quorum, Eucris and Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme are three I very much like. I think Chanel Antaeus will be in my collection before long, just because. Ralph Lauren Polo, too, largely because I have a gorgeous chypre from Russia: Novaya Zarya.

What else?

James Bromley - strong floral
Yilday Turkish tobacco cologne - very strong Violet
Mont Blanc and Guerlain Ideal - vetiver and oak Moss
Others:
Paco Rabane Invictus
CF 1444
Prof blightys grapewood aftershave

James Bronnley, I have already - good call. It's quite a regular mid-week. The Yilday sounds great! Tobacco & Violet - just up my street.

Ideal has almonds up there. I hate almonds, but I'll take a note and see if I can spot it next time I hit Debenham's. Mont Blanc's don't "look" heavy enough in the right places, but I'll keep an open mind ...

Thank you for the suggestions. Yilday search now on ...

pjgh said:
Ooh, that looks like a right good pong! In a good way :D Cheers!
PM me your address and I'll send you some Yilday.

I did find the Mont Blanc quite light but somehow it still lingered. Another shout out would be for aqua di gio and A&F fierce

Tom Ford Noir outstanding scent.

Top notes: Italian bergamot, verbena, caraway, baie rose (pink pepper), violet flower.

Heart notes: black pepper, nutmeg, Tuscan Iris resin, Egyptian Geranium, Bulgarian Rose, Clary Sage.

Base notes: Opoponax, amber, Indonesian patchouli, vetiver, civet, vanilla.

Oud - if it ain't got aoud, it ain't got big hits - you need oudh, plenty of aoudh!

Have you used Fragrantica or Basenotes yet? Try oud once and your bank account soon depletes, as if by magic. Be warned!

More ideas ... much thanks, chaps.

Indeed, Carl, Fragrantica is a super resource for not only ascertaining how the frag is structured but which notes really shout out. Ones where Oakmoss and something else scream out above the others seem to be what I like most. Oudh, I do like ... M7 Absolute? Lovely stuff :D I'm not big on musk, but oudh works out well for me.

Big and violet ? its not for me personally but Invictus covers both
those requirements.

on a side note (geddit), if you like Fahrenheit but find it doesn't
last, then Milton Lloyd cosmetics do a erm "tribute" called
"the man cobalt" which is spot on for scent and has legs like
Cyd Charisse.

Back
Top Bottom