BIG Scents

pjgh said:
I like Quorum, Eucris, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, largely because they are heavy on the oakmoss which is like catnip to me
What else?

Oakmoss is a favorite note of mine and I have two frags in the rotation with it being predominate in both.

Look at the base notes in these and try imagining the drydowns. You should huff each one. Older bottles can be better, but more cash.

Here you go:
http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Givenchy/Xeryus-861.html

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Jacomo/Jacomo-de-Jacomo-3804.html

One of my staple smells that always gets replaced is Joop Homme, and it could fit your bill.
I was given a sampler bottle before it was being sold and have been hooked on it ever since!! Big BIG smell and lasts absolutely ages after applying. It one of those "after 6 hrs in the office a small splash of water on your face and it smells like you just splashed another dose!" kinda smells*

http://www.theperfumeshop.com/fcp/product/mens-fragrances/joop/homme/7245

*disclaimer - what works for my skin clearly doesn't work for everyone

Cheers, pal. Another one to try out when I hit the Frag shops next ...

... the Royal Mail man arrived with this:

23w1n55.jpg

Mmmm ... vintage :D

"Neuilly Cedex France" on the base, which puts it a more recent vintage between: 1999-2007 ... I think ... Vinny?

Dodgy Marv, that kind American gent, sent me a sample of Jacamo de Jacamo and the old Xeryus, IIRC. I grew to love that Xeryus - BIG and manly. It tipped my hand to order a 'smells like' clone from Scent from Heaven but they are as chalk and cheese however, there is a Xeryus Red, I believe, so it may be a clone of that instead.

As to the Violets, I was going to suggest Trumper's Ajaccio Violets but I note Geofnay already has. I haven't tried it though. I do detect a violet accord in Paul Smith London EDT which can only be had in 30ml bottles these days but is a great summer scent. In general and probably due to having a fondness for the garden, I tend to love most things with a rose, violet or lavender scent unless they are to artificial or chemical-like. For example, I hate chocolate fruit creams but adore rose & violet creams (especially the latter) and get quite silly over Turkish delight.

A bottle of Halston Z14 arrived for my birthday today. I reckon you would like that Paul. I gave my dad a bottle of Kouros I had for years late nineties I reckon. I'll have to have a look when I go round there next and see where it was made.

pjgh said:
Happy Birthday, Steve!

Z-14 is on my list. It reads like a sweet Quorum ... much as I'd imagined the rather disappointing Quorum Silver should have been.

I'm going to need a bigger cabinet ...

Thanks. It starts off quite sweet, ends up nice and certainly lasts.

I also got a bottle of Pal Zileri Cuoio which reviews said smelt like Eucris, but I can't see the comparison. Quite nice but not as nice as Eucris.

Appreciate it might be a YMMV question. Putting an order away from all beauty for either Ted Lapidus Pour Homme or halston Z-14.
If you had to pick one what would you go for? Both I believe big scents but never tried them

Geoffrey Beene is another maybe

I've not tried either, but I have Geoffrey Beene ... and it's LOUD!

Ted Lapidus Pour Homme is an odd one, since I have memories of Ted Lapidus, which is entirely different to "Pour Homme". I think it'll be BIG, but in a modern way. The original in the '80s styled bottle appears a much larger scent altogether. Halston Z-14 is still on my list, yet to try it.

Back
Top Bottom