BIG Scents

Nothing like, to me ... BG is heavy on the citrus and lemon up top, almost making your tongue fizzy while the floral notes simmer behind and charge through once that first fresh blast has died down. Yes, powdery, which is perhaps why there is the likeness to baby powder, but it's the biggest poof of powder you'll experience. It's LOUD!

Hai Karate is not necessarily subtle, but it's less so ... more like the grind of heavy metal than the orchestral blast of BG. Actually, BG is probably more like an orchestra tuning up! It's all over the place, but kind of hangs together :D

I bought some Grey Flannel from the BST section & quite like it. My wife says it reminds her of her grandad, though, and doesn't want me to wear it. It's not that she thinks it's unpleasant, just that she doesn't want me to smell like that. I'd say it's quite an old smell.

Bryan, if you aren't sure, I can find a small bottle & send a sample of the AS.

Appreciate the offer Celtic but it's a toss-up between Grey Flannel and Ted Lapidus and Ted so far is winning
Looks like an order for Ted Lapidus and Halston Z-14 is winging its way to All Beauty

Anyone seen Grey Flannel in the shops?

I'm not in the same class as most of you fellas when it comes to discernment, descriptive acumen and the ability to tell a bass note from a double bass ....but I kinda know whether I like something or not (although even that has been rendered doubtful given I've changed my mind on several in the other, cheapies, thread).

Have bought several Vetivers blind (Encre Noire, Bourbon, Guerlain) on the strength of your recommendations and been really pleased. The Havana, the Issey Miyake, Man Cobalt, Cedar Wood, Agua Colonia, Driftwood...all bought blind as I couldn't see them locally (remember I'm in the middle of Devon). Ditto the Florida Water and Pinaud Clubman....bought blind but both fine (the Florida especially).

In fact ditto almost everything...soaps, razors, balms etc etc...as, apart from the kindness of members loans or samples, there isn't the opportunity to sample most of the stuff. I must have been either fortunate - or easy to please - as almost everything has been fine for me. Admittedly, Quorum, Old Spice etc didn't do it for me personally but almost everything else is great.

(Thanks again for advice and assistance)

But, re. the Beene I've heard it spoken of and it's not hugely expensive but if there's a retailer that anyone knows of then I'll look out for it....mainly to satisfy curiosity.

Ta.

Stan,

I'm quite happy to send you a sample of Grey Flannel. I've not seen it in any shops, but it can be picked up at a modest price if you like it. There comes a point where you want to be sure, though, rather than buying blind.

Hey James...that's a kindness. How about I send you a stamped Jiffy bag and a little vial thingy?

I'll send you a PM and you can let me know. Something tells me I'd like it but, as you say, I'm feeling like I'd like to be sure having been so sure with the Quorum and been proved so wrong.

Also remember how wrong I was with the Standard razor...sold it within hours of receiving it and now wished I hadn't.

Ta muchly.

Back
Top Bottom