Blatant enabling!

I'll put this under "Pre-shave" because showering is. A fairly recent enablement from SOTD was Aleppo soap - I'm too curious for my own good. Anyway, turns out Aleppo soap is an olive oil and lye soap with laurel oil as an added extra - and all the wonderful properties of the soap are due to the laurel, it is claimed. Yes - this is Aleppo in Syria, where they have been making this soap since so long ago no-one knows. As it is about the laurel, I bought three cakes of one with a whole lot of laurel in it - 15% as I recall.

Three huge, unwieldy, knobbly cakes of soap duly arrived and one went into the shower with me the next morning. Lather? Oh yes! Smells a bit laurel-ey, naturally. Unwieldy great lump is my main criticism - but that is never mind! The thick, rich lather is to die for - sudsy head to toe and dripping off me. All well and good, rinse off and dry myself.

Then, after one shower, my skin felt different - silky smooth and supple just like a TV ad, and I'm a hairy beast. This effect seems to be cumulative! I'm a silky smooth hairy beast these days. And here comes the shaving forum bit - if you've stayed with me this long - my shaves are smoother, easier, closer. Shaving has noticeably improved and the only thing to change is my shower soap.

SWMBOs would love this stuff for what it does to skin. You would love this stuff for what it does for shaving - and her skin, perhaps.

I just Googled 'Aleppo soap' and took my pick. T'ain't that expensive, either.

Reminder: I have a water softener installed. Would have to be worth a go with hard water. Hang on - kitchen sink! Yes - it works fine with very hard water.

Maybe I'm not pregnant, after all - my coffee tastes have changed since I started using Aleppo soap. Weird!

i got mine from ebay

i saw a seller with a 50% laurel oil soap. i may have to go back for that

the seller i bought from suggests it can be used as a shave soap so i'll be giving that a go too :)

Back
Top Bottom