bloody weather

Have some strong tea or coffee n relax bud!..here in Los Angeles, CA...it rained and hailed cats n dogs...but it made up for the beautiful sunshine!

B

Pedro luckily enough I was off yesterday, meant to be working backshift today but it is looking VERY unlikely that I'll make it in.

I have NEVER seen anything like what was happening in Lanarkshire yesterday, at 4pm they reckon there was not a single road moving.

SWMBO went out to work at 8am yesterday and still isn't home. Motherwell to Airdrie.

You guys are really getting it bad up there.
I've got family in Edinburgh and talking with them on the phone they, like you are pretty p****d off with conditions.
Hopefully it'll ease up soon so hang on in there, stay warm, and look forward to Spring.
regards, beejay

Of course this is brought about by a total of about 30cm of snow falling in Glasgow & Edinburgh... here we had 75cm before it snowed again yesterday and dumped another 10-15cm on top.

People are still getting around here, but as soon as they hit "civilisation" (ie. Edinburgh bypass) the morons have no clue how to act in the snow and the roads are gridlocked.

hunnymonster said:
Of course this is brought about by a total of about 30cm of snow falling in Glasgow & Edinburgh... here we had 75cm before it snowed again yesterday and dumped another 10-15cm on top.

People are still getting around here, but as soon as they hit "civilisation" (ie. Edinburgh bypass) the morons have no clue how to act in the snow and the roads are gridlocked.

There is quite a difference in population densities between the central belt and the borders as well HM.

The Edinburgh bypass and most of the other strategic roads in the central belt are too full at rush hour, there is no redundancy in the system, and then add heavy snow into the mix and it is a recipe for disaster.

It actually made me quite glad I was unemployed yesterday and did not have to commute to/from work.

Well I've been on the phone to my work and because im on a 2-10 shift, they wanted me to wait and see if the bus services come back on, which they have.

Now I can understand business sense and for them they are losing money if someone isn't there however they won't pay me if I dont go in.

I couldn't give 2 shits about being stuck on a bus for 4 hours trying to get to work but I do give a shit about finishing work at 10pm and finding out that all the busses are off again.

Unfortunately, my work don't seem to care about how Im getting home, only about me getting in.

andyjreid said:
Unfortunately, my work don't seem to care about how Im getting home, only about me getting in.

Yes, that normal.

Seen some of the pictures on the News, and it's unbelievable up there.

We had a weird ice shower yesterday. Little crystals of ice floating around in the air (no, not snow) eventually covering everything in a thin 'dust' of ice/snow. Never seen anything like that before.

Ian

Adam D said:
There is quite a difference in population densities between the central belt and the borders as well HM.

I don't disagree - but conversely with less dense traffic the perceived need for clearance (by the council) is also less so people get used to driving in less favourable conditions...

Adam D said:
The Edinburgh bypass and most of the other strategic roads in the central belt are too full at rush hour, there is no redundancy in the system, and then add heavy snow into the mix and it is a recipe for disaster.

People need to plan, unlike the forecasts the roads people were using, the BBC & ITV weather forecasts for yesterday morning were getting bleaker and bleaker throughout Sunday - so sensible people would have got up considerably earlier to make their journey or make the decision not to make it.

People also need to be aware what constitutes a necessary journey - in lots of cases they have no clue (the same people that dial 999 when they run out of phone credit probably), I hear from lots of people in the central belt that were moaning that their 10 minute drive had turned into 5 hours. If it's such a short trip, walk, it's not rocket science.

It's an interesting debate HM.

In the present economic climate presenteeism is more of a problem than absenteeism and as Andy has noted before his employer only really cares about staff getting into work not getting home, which is quite callous in my opinion, but quite common place unfortunately.

I hear what you are saying about the walking the 10 minute drives, but I am quite sure those that got caught on the motorway network could not have walked into work. This then raises the issue of whether or not people should be commuting long distances to work in these austere times and with rising petrol/diesel prices.

For most of the year it is fine, but get a significant snowfall like yesterday across a heavily populated area whose transport infrastructure is creaking at the seams and you have a big problem.

Thankfully snowfalls like that are infrequent, but there in lies one of the problems with dealing it, i.e. given how infrequently such an event occurs why spend money on planning to deal with it?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newsthump.com/2010/12/01/im-so-important-i-simply-had-to-make-this-journey-insist-stranded-mid-level-executive-pricks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://newsthump.com/2010/12/01/im-so-i ... ve-pricks/</a><!-- m -->

Satire, yes? Close to the truth? For sure.

Back
Top Bottom