BST Discussion

Hiya,

Jeeez Louise that's a lot of reading. It was so much that I skipped around getting here. See if I get the gist of things or not and sorry if I say what some others have already.

First though, I would like to address the rumor of all the Mods receiving from Boab a full size body pillow with his face on the head. Yes, kinda like the one James Franco has. Ok, on second thought I will do that later.

By and large the Mods do a nice job of policing the yard with minimal hands on stuff. Maybe I do notice a little more cleaning up the forum's act recently. Maybe a little more proper at times, since it's been mentioned.

The BST situation usually runs smooth enough with little controversy or drama, and what helps is some leeway regarding people other than the buyer/sellers posting in the threads. Makes sense to me keeping that option open on case by case situation.

Not having a hard and fast rule takes more work and the Mods are the guys getting stuck doing that. One thing I can't call these guys here is lazy, but on some other forums I think that's the main reason for no talking inna BST thread. The people running the place don't wanna be bothered having to think about stuff. Once again, that's not the case here.....seriously.

I mean if a post is obviously a helpful thing then why not let it stand? If not then make it go away. Easy enough to figure out in most cases. C'mon babycakes, swing like ya usta!

Martin

Last edited:
A case by case basis could mean a lot of reading for Mods and as it would be a judgement call, feathers would still be ruffled.

The 'chat' in BST was getting heavier and heavier, as in more and more, and oft times lead to fights. Self-regulation wasn't working to the extent that the long standing rule was being ignored by a significant minority.

Exercise self-regulation again and this becomes a non-issue. I can't think of a point raised here that wouldn't be better dealt with by PM to the OP, except that doesn't allow grandstanding, which, incidentally, is the main cause of current observation of the rule.

All imo, of course.

Fyi, I don't read many BST threads. I keep an eye on the number of posts in the thread. Shouldn't be many.

Alrhough I think a lot of replies in BST threads can be pointless, it never bothered me, so I'm not fussed with that.
Where as I've seen quite a few things over the past few months being advertised at daft prices. If the membership is going up, that means they trust the people here and probably think that its an acceptable price.
In the past when I have been unsure to my own pricing, I stated that people should let me know if its unreasonable, which is a learning curve. So for some one to reply to a thread and state that the price seems steap, in my opinion, is not rude but helpful to everyone looking. If they were to pm the op, some one may offer to buy the item at said daft price, which could have been avoided. Obviously an item is worth what some one is willing to pay, but its nice to help.

Alrhough I think a lot of replies in BST threads can be pointless, it never bothered me, so I'm not fussed with that.
Where as I've seen quite a few things over the past few months being advertised at daft prices. If the membership is going up, that means they trust the people here and probably think that its an acceptable price.
In the past when I have been unsure to my own pricing, I stated that people should let me know if its unreasonable, which is a learning curve. So for some one to reply to a thread and state that the price seems steap, in my opinion, is not rude but helpful to everyone looking. If they were to pm the op, some one may offer to buy the item at said daft price, which could have been avoided. Obviously an item is worth what some one is willing to pay, but its nice to help.
The solution is, as Hunny said a few posts ago, to PM the seller. If you get inaction or an abusive reply then report the Sales post and the PM. The problem with open posting arises when an observer thinks a price is too high but the seller does not. This type of situation has, all too often, ended up in an unseemly and public slanging match.

There have been instances previously where a seller has posted a "for sale" thread and snide comments have been made (either about the price, the origin, previous perceived selling practices,...) - the original poster then responds in kind... provoking a reaction to the reaction...

Let us be clear we are talking about a small minority of posters who are either unable or unwilling to exercise self-restraint here. So should we have two classes of member? Those members that are allowed to post/read in BST (still subject to a posting policy that uninvited "ripoff" or "bargain" or other posts that fall into the ones I mentioned above are disallowed) at all and those members that are not?

The solution is, as Hunny said a few posts ago, to PM the seller. If you get inaction or an abusive reply then report the Sales post and the PM. The problem with open posting arises when an observer thinks a price is too high but the seller does not. This type of situation has, all too often, ended up in an unseemly and public slanging match.

Can I ask, Paul, if the situation were clear-cut, such as someone asking more for a used toiletry product than it costs to buy new, would that be something mods would act upon if they were PM'd? In that situation the seller is out to pull someone's trousers down so PMing them directly wouldn't likely change their attitude I'd guess.

Try a PM to the seller and if that doesn't work, to a Mod. That said, BST is a market place and it is incumbent on a potential buyer to exercise due diligence - or not. Newbies do not have access to BST for a while after joining - time to get the hang of things before dabbling their toes.

Last edited:
Can I ask, Paul, if the situation were clear-cut, such as someone asking more for a used toiletry product than it costs to buy new, would that be something mods would act upon if they were PM'd? In that situation the seller is out to pull someone's trousers down so PMing them directly wouldn't likely change their attitude I'd guess.

Caveat Emptor must surely play a part here?
I rarely spend any money without a quick search on t'internet to make sure I'm getting a fair price

What does 'Caveat Emptor' mean
A neo-Latin phrase meaning "let the buyer beware." It is a principle of contract law in many jurisdictions that places the onus on the buyer to perform due diligence before making a purchase.

Understood, gents, I was wondering because previous posts implied that mods would intervene in some circumstances though it's not clear what those circumstances might be. If it is a case of sellers charging what they want with no comments allowed, that's obviously the site management's business, but I'd suggest it needs to be made crystal to new users, preferably by a floating banner saying caveat emptor at the top of every BST page!

Without wishing to speak for Hunnymonster and Boab, I can't see them being very tolerant of a seller who was clearly trying to put one over on other members.

I wonder, however, if it is a real problem. I have seen a few sales post where the pricing was a bit high and, to my recollection, the items have not sold until reduced. I really think most people check very carefully before concluding a private sale and most know that caveat emptor is almost invariably the rule for all private transactions.

I'm sure we can leave this to Owner/Admin to decide if further warning is needed.

Back
Top Bottom