BST Discussion

So people aren't allowed to try to assist when someone has a question about an item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Steve

If you don't mind, I'm going to move this discussion over to 'Feedback' but, generally, the only posters on a Sales thread will be the seller, interested parties with questions and the buyer. Perhaps we could continue, if you wish, over on 'Feedback'.

Thanks.

I would very much like to open up the debate on this. I've liked to call this forum home for a number of years now and recommended it to many along the way. I'm finding that harder these days as the forum seems to have changed for the worse with many of the old posters no longer being active.

If you remember this forum was born from the "other" forum and was set up as somewhere fun where people didn't need to be mindful of over moderation.

I understand the rule for not posting GLWTS etc but surely there needs to be some common sense shown by the moderation team on this rather than appearing like the equivalent of traffic wardens where people fear posting on threads.

My posts on the BST was simply to try to assist someone that had a question that the buyer could not respond to.

I've seen other posts removed of late and think this isn't helping the cause. Surely if a seller does not like a post they can report it to the mod team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just felt that a possible buyer asked a question I couldn't answer and fly3k could, literally answer the question for the benefit of the seller and a potential buyer asking a question.
I understand there has to be rules for the bst to retain its purpose but there has to be some level of communication allowed between the seller and potential buyers. This was the first forum I ever joined about a year or so ago but I have to say this type of smothering of communication can't be a good thing for the forum to retain the interest of its members and grow the membership.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I have to agree with fly3k and his suggestion that this be spoken about to a wider audience of members. Moderation is essential but I definitely feel on this subject its remit has overstepped itself to the detriment of the membership it should be helping not driving away. Maybe I'm being a bit too sensitive but this claustrophobic feel is not what I enjoyed in the beginning or was led to believe this forum was about.

I find the rules on BST a bit heavy handed compared to what they used to be. We never got told what the problem was. I didn't see one. Maybe @fly3k could add a poll this thread? Are BST commenting rules too strict now? Yes or No?
I have a new and unused brush on the bst and a member asked if it had gel tips. I explained I didn't want to put the brush to water in an effort to make it more desirable to a buyer. Fly3k has the identical brush and posted a pic of what the knot looked like wet in an effort to answer the members question. The posts were then removed.

I have a new and unused brush on the bst and a member asked if it had gel tips. I explained I didn't want to put the brush to water in an effort to make it more desirable to a buyer. Fly3k has the identical brush and posted a pic of what the knot looked like wet in an effort to answer the members question. The posts were then removed.

Personally, I'd reply to that post, thanking the poster (fly3k), while quoting the post. Would the moderators remove or edit my own post on my own thread as well? What's the policy?

I find the rules on BST a bit heavy handed compared to what they used to be. We never got told what the problem was. I didn't see one. Maybe @fly3k could add a poll this thread? Are BST commenting rules too strict now? Yes or No?
AFAIK it was unnecessary and in some instances repeated negative comments on a handful of BST posts a few weeks back. Locking the delinquent posters out of BST for a fortnight or more would certainly be more equitable than a 'collective punishment' and probably focus minds a lot better too

AFAIK it was unnecessary and in some instances repeated negative comments on a handful of BST posts a few weeks back. Locking the delinquent posters out of BST for a fortnight or more would certainly be more equitable than a 'collective punishment' and probably focus minds a lot better too
Banning people from BST for a fortnight would be a bit harsh as well. A PM and deletion of the negative comments would suffice IMHO...

Banning people from BST for a fortnight would be a bit harsh as well. A PM and deletion of the negative comments would suffice IMHO...
That's another thing, there is no pm or explanation as to why posts are deleted. This is particularly confusing when the deleted post are innocuous at worse. It leaves holes all over the post as well.

I think the deliberate introduction of stricter application of rules is bound to produce a certain sense of being 'stifled' but it is being done for good reasons. If a comment such as 'This is not good value' is to be removed, as it should be, then why should 'This is a bargain' be any different? They are both comments on value for money. Additionally, we are, in effect in out host's 'house' when we post here and should respect the relatively few rules which have been set up simply because we are guests.

The BST is not the place for 'mini-reviews' on sales items and we have a large number of places where very open and virtually unmoderated discussion can and does take place.

If anyone wants to assist with additional information about a sale then why not PM the OP or put a little review in the 'Reviews' section to which the OP is welcome to refer? This keeps BST clean and simple and prevents BST threads becoming general discussion to the detriment of Seller and Buyers alike.

I would not encourage a 'poll' on this subject as it will not, in itself, change anything. Open discussion, such as this, is useful however.

We want to keep BST simple and minimalist and take discussion, reviews etc to where they best belong.

I think we would all agree that a Sales post should involve the buyer and the seller (master of the obvious!). The question is how much it should involve others. The only other valid input I can see is a potential buyer seeking extra information or clarification while considering a purchase. That information should come from the seller.

Edit - Although I agree that, in an ideal world, everyone would receive a pm with details about why a post was removed, the amount of work involved is excessive for part time volunteers. Hence the rule having the 'without notice' rider.

I still feel the current rules don't differentiate between a positive, relevant comment by a member from a negative and unnecessary comment that should be rightly removed as it wouldn't contribute to the purpose of the thread.

Back
Top Bottom