budget DE shaving, times are hard!...

hi gents, my 1st post :)

havent been DE shaving for too long, glad to find this site -i have registered for b&b site, but many of their members wont post items beyond the states.

was wondering if any of you have tips for budget shaving?

my biggest investment has been an ej de89 razor. apart from that, i have only bought a 50 pack of derby extras working out at 10p each. i use palmolive shaving sticks, fantastic value & quality these, only 49p each from wilkinsons & asda, tesco do them for 99p each.

i have been face lathering, using the sticks direct to my face, but just managed to cadge a ramekin from the kitchen cupboard (thank you wifey), so will be trying that as a nice sized ceramic lathering bowl on my next shave :)

would love to come across a nice slim adjustable 1967 (M) with chrome handle, preferably quarter one, as this is my birth era, this will be next investment....

anyhow i'm waffling now, so as said, does anyone else have any budgeting shaving tips? :icon_razz:

Bestshave for blades can be good. £13-14 for 300 Shark SS usually including delivery (comes from Turkey)

Home Bargains for Real Shaving Co shaving cream and balms for £1.29 each.

Hi & very welcome S/Man. 1st tip for economising ; DO NOT peruse the buy, sell, trade section.
At some point consider a single edge razor, inexpensive, blades tend to last longer imo & the quality of shave is excellent.
Since you already know about the Palm Olive sticks you're ahead of the game already. At 99p in our local Morrison's they have just got to be a quality buy.
Enjoy the learning curve.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:
Hi & very welcome S/Man. 1st tip for economising ; DO NOT peruse the buy, sell, trade section.

Avoid the Acquisitions threads and maybe even the Shave of the Day threads as well. I keep seeing things I want. Help! :icon_confused:

Hi

A Wilkinson's brush for £4 from a supermarket, a razor for a tenner. Palmolive soap sticks or cream, blades at less than 10p easy to find, and an after shave for a fiver or less. You can spend very little to achieve a decent shave.

That's not we all end up being about. We spend as much as we can afford, and probably more, on many of the creams, soaps, brushes and razors and go way beyond our basic needs.

The best way to save money is by staying away from shaving forums.

Welcome to TSR!

Welcome...

I don't think a lot of people on this forum manage to "budget shave", just so much stuff to try ;)
I'll have a look when I get home for an M1 Slim adjustable, might have one. (not sure on the date codes of the ones I have)

Send me a PM as a reminder, I'm fairly forgetful these days ;)

Max

thank you guys for your warm welcomes :) i take your points tho, i can see how the hardware & software of DE shaving can become addictive purchasing :)

at this point in my life tho, i expect there are worse ways to spend my time than shaving forums talking about my favourite new hobby (ex-chore!) & worse ways to spend my money than shaving gear :)

FrenchBlade said:
Welcome...

I don't think a lot of people on this forum manage to "budget shave", just so much stuff to try ;)
I'll have a look when I get home for an M1 Slim adjustable, might have one. (not sure on the date codes of the ones I have)

Send me a PM as a reminder, I'm fairly forgetful these days ;)

Max

thank you Max, you must have quite a collection & very kind of you to look :)

Tips. Read up 1st. Look at all of the sites and see what people are buying and using. Don't get suckered into the 'oh that's cheap' and then never use it.
This is an excellent site to see what people from all walks of life are using. You'll be surprised that, other than the brushes, most are sticking to a few basics.
Read. Used what you now have. And wait to buy once you're sure what you want.

Shaving semantics first - budget, bargain, cheap, etc all mean different things to each of us. Personally I've read the forum for a while whilst looking around when shopping. I then bought the absolute cheapest acceptable of everything - Horsehair brush £3, Lord razor £4, Palmolive stick 49p, Alum block 59p, Blade sampler £5, Witch Hazel 98p, Castor Oil 99p, Aloe Vera gel £1.90, Aftershave 80p.
Since then I spend money to reasonably improve my enjoyment while taking advantage of bargains ( eg 29p per 100g Bulgarian Shaving Cream). It is cost effective to buy £18 per 100 Feathers, as half a bottle of Lidl Scotch is over £7 which is necessary to numb my senses everytime I use a 6p Lazer blade + the Claret!!
The 80p was a waste I think, should have spent more.

Lloyd

Godrej is one of the cheapest and best shaving creams available, it's Indian so if you are lucky enough to have any Indian grocers near you then look in there for it. It's usually £1-2.

Similarly you'll find smallish alum blocks in the same shops for £1, there is no better underarm deodorant. And obviosly it's also great for stopping cuts and nicks.

Back
Top Bottom