Buying a used Gaggia Classic

I'm afraid you'll need a good grinder now, or buy i a coffee shop, pre ground from reg shops doesn't work with this machine. However you'll get much better coffee and very close to pro machine coffee :)

We have a local coffee shop about 5 miles away where we can get fresh ground coffee, so that's not a problem. I'm sure it won't be long before I get a grinder anyway:)

Do I need to specify any particular grind or will they know what to do.

Thanks

OK,

Small update

I have a coffee grinder on route now as well.

This one Gaggia RI8121/60 MM Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder

I know it's not the best, but I imagine it will do the job for now. Off to buy some beans later :)

I don't know that grinder, but most burr grinders can be a problem for the classic... Check out homebarista.com, much and very good info there.

I've just read some more reviews and think you could be right.

The burr grinder does seem a bit too inconsistent. I'll see how I got get on with it, if it is rubbish I will send it back and get a better one.

I found the link for home-barista in an earlier thread and have been reading there today. Some seriously impressive stuff, and I have just discovered how complex this coffee making malarkey is.

Lose the beard said:
Having doubts about the grinder now.

Would I be better off just leaving it in the box and ordering one of these instead.

http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0865-iberital-mc2.html

Yes :)

... or try and get a used pro model on Ebay.

Thanks Mikael for the confirmation.

The Iberital MC2 Grinder has been ordered from happydonkey, (I'm too impatient for ebay)along with a replacement double basket as the one supplied nowadays with the Gaggia classic is designed for use with easy serve espresso pods and doesn't work so well with ground coffee.
I got a couple of espresso shot glasses as well so I will be able to study the results of my attempts at being a barista.

First espresso made and drunk.

I've tasted better but it was pretty good. I used Lavazza Espresso ground coffee that I got in the supermarket yesterday, which will have to do until I get my grinder.

I'm impressed already, so is the wife, which is handy.

Lose the beard said:
First espresso made and drunk.

I've tasted better but it was pretty good. I used Lavazza Espresso ground coffee that I got in the supermarket yesterday, which will have to do until I get my grinder.

I'm impressed already, so is the wife, which is handy.

If you have a Costco/macro membership they sell big bags of Lavazza for £3 which are £12 in supermarkets.

I have the same set up.

Yes I got rid of the pressure basket and the black widget underneath and the standard double basket works really well.

In fact for the money it was a major upgrade. You should get a properly ground and tamped shot out in about 15 to 20 seconds.

Ive tried pre ground from the shops it didn't work. The Iberital is a very good bit of kit.

Try Happy Donkey beans they are very good. You will find that from bean to bean you will probably have to alter both the timer and the grind setting on the Iberital. I have just had some beans that were like twice as hard as the Lavazza ones I was using.

I changed the steamer arm too.....
http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hdr0001.html

This makes MUCH better foam...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for that Tim. I'm not over worried about the steamer arm as I tend to drink Espresso or Americano, I'm not a lover of milky coffee.

I have some beans coming from Happy Donkey along with the grinder and the replacement basket, I should be in business on Tuesday hopefully.

Update so far, I'm not going to sleep tonight, too much coffee sampling today.

Me and the Mrs have both sat down with a nice Americano, made in a normal size mug, using a double Espresso shot in each. We have been drinking filter coffee for years but think this is the best coffee we have ever made at home, nice and strong but no bitterness at all.

Can't wait for my grinder to turn up next week, along with some beans.

Back
Top Bottom