Buying a used Gaggia Classic

I thought I should give you all a quick update.
The grinder arrived, eventually, a few issues with the courier, something about them being busy as it's Christmas. Bah Humbug.
So what started as just buying a Gaggia classic has escalated a bit beyond what I first imagined.

So far

Gaggia Classic
Replacement basket for both Single and Double shot.
Little jugs to fit under the portafilter
Milk foaming jug
Little Espresso Shot glasses to see what the Crema is like.
Iberital MC2 Auto Grinder
Stainless steel Tamper
Knock Out box.

Still to buy, Naked portafilter and replacement steamer wand.

I did my first shot today with freshly ground beans and it took 30 seconds. I think there was a bit too much coffee in the shot though so when I get the amount of coffee right I can work on the grind a bit more.

The coffee is fantastic, I'm very pleased with what I am managing to produce, I used to enjoy a trip to Costa coffee, but I think now that my coffee is probably better.

Here is my setup.

IMG_0171_zpsa35d9c87.jpg

You look pretty set. I had a Gaggia similar to yours. Later upgraded to a Faema. My grinder is a Mazzer. Pic of my set up attached here.

Just had my double shot. Now for a shave!

[attachment=6235]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356030165.993513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356030165.993513.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 51
Very similar to my setup. I have a carezza machine which is pretty much the same and I have an mc2 on the way. It takes a lot of fine tuning to get these grinders on song, but when you do, your tastebuds will thanks you. Best way is to weigh what you're grinding in.

I use small digital scales.. Zero them out with the portafilter empty, and then fill till I have 18g in the basket. With 18g and a correct tamp, you should get a double ( 2x 1oz) in about 25 seconds. If its too quick try a harder tamp or a finer grind. If its too slow, try a lighter tamp or a more coarse grind.

The rest is experience

Good luck

Looks like you are well and truely sorted...I find an excellent use for an old (or new) boar brush is as a group head cleaner, just reduce loft by half and trim flat.

Today's lesson, decent coffee beans make all the difference.

I've had the grinder for about 10 days and until today have been using some coffee beans that I got in the Supermarket. I've got through 2 bags so far, and gradually I am getting the grinder dialled in.

Today I opened a fresh bag of Brazilian Coffee from Happy Donkey. They seemed to grind much better, the shot poured much slower as well, with much better Crema. The coffee is much stronger, but also a lot smoother and with much more flavour.

Today's coffee has been my best so far.

For a long time I used to buy Lavazza or Vittoria beans from the supermarket and thought that this was great. I quickly realised the immense improvement in the flavour, crema and body of coffee made from freshly roasted beans.

Some people go to the extreme of sticking to a specific window period when the coffee beans are at their best. If I recall correctly this starts about 2 weeks after roasting and lasts 2-3 weeks more. Something to do with carbon dioxide release from the beans. After this period the beans are viewed as stale. Ground beans become stale very quickly - within minutes they say.

Some of the places I purchase beans from actually have the roast date written on the packet. I cannot really get too carried away with this as I usually buy 2-3kg of beans at a time (in 4-6 separate 500g bags) for convenience. My wife and I get through this quantity every few months.

Other things that I've learnt make a big difference are - keeping your machine and coffee machine parts clean, heating things up well before making your coffee (machine, glasses), tweaking the grind for the particular beans, loading the right amount of coffee. Getting it all perfect can sometimes be a challenge, especially when you have a new batch of beans.

Currently suffering without my usual coffee (as well as all my shaving gear supplies) on holidays, needing to use a stovetop espresso maker. No crema with these but still a reasonable coffee even if the beans were ground a week earlier.

gustare il vostro caffe!

John

Lose the beard said:
Today's lesson, decent coffee beans make all the difference...

Today I opened a fresh bag of Brazilian Coffee from Happy Donkey.

Today's coffee has been my best so far.

Lose the Beard,

the beans are as important as the razor blade when making good coffee. My experience is that Happy Donkey beans are not the best (do they have a "roasted on" date on the bag?)

Try visiting coffeeforums uk

For good espresso you should use beans no older than 4-5 weeks (you can freeze them without damaging them). Illy and Lavatzza could have been roasted many months ago!

I usually get my beans from londiniumespresso.com but there are lots others. I only mention Londinium because, bizarrely, he turned me onto DE shaving about 2 years ago!

regards, Paul

My beans of choice are the cachoeira from hasbean. I also like the extract classic espresso blend from extract roasters. The cachoeira is sweet, chocolatey and shuns the thinking that espresso needs dark roasts. Hasbean tend to use medium roasts to develop lovely complex flavours that taste of more than burnt coffee.

I found the happydonkey beans that came with the grinder to be a bit too dark for my tastebuds. Both the extract and hasbean offerings are much more my taste. The hasbean beans have the advantage of a reasonable postage rate. On,y £1.50 for a standard bag.

I think I have nearly got the grinder dialled in. This mornings double shot took just over 20 seconds to pour. I have been adjusting it finer ever since I got it, and finally I think I am about right.

Am in London next week, and as our office is in Covent Garden I may have to pop into Monmouth coffee and pick up some beans, apparently they are very good.

If you are in London try the Algerian Coffee Shop in Old Compton Street. They are an old family run shop and have a great selection of coffee. And if you find one you like they deliver as well. Plus they are a very friendly knowledgable bunch...))

Back
Top Bottom