Claymore

Had the Claymore a week now and still loving it, still giving me the best of shaves.
My SOTD
The Claymore with a Feather pro blade (5).
P&B Denali applied with a Muhle 35K.
Fine American blend aftershave and some nivea balm.
And what a shave it was. Oh and this was after a haircut and shower. Felt as clean as the proverbial whistle!

Just received my Claymore yesterday and was going to save it for Feather Friday, but just could not wait, so the Claymore swapped with my favorite Weck Surgical Prep safety razor which was slated for Weck Wednesday. This is a massive razor! If you dropped it on your bathroom floor accidentally, you would probably need to replace the floor tile instead of the razor. I keep joking that the Rocnel razor looks like a sledge hammer with a blade on one end, but this one comes close. Finish is a little rough on the inside, but things fit well and the outside is finished well. I had trouble loading a Dorco blade and thought it was a defect until I used a Feather Pro and it fit perfectly.

First shave was more of a learning experience. although the top cap is rounded and not chiseled like the Mongoose, it was still domed rather high and so limited the angles a bit. Because of the weight of the razor, I went with no pressure and light touch and let the razor do the shaving. My first pass had a lot of audio feedback and so I adjusted to a shallower angle and it went a little smoother. When done with my first pass, I was amazed because it was so close that all I needed was touch up. I did a full second pass instead to see if I would get skin irritation. the second pass went well and it was an overall good shave. I know that it will get better with time and I look forward to getting to know the Claymore better.

I am believing that a shallower angle on the head like the ATT or El Jefe would probably work better. In fact, the Weck Surgical Prep has a head so shallow that it is there only to hold the blade, and that works out real well to get a close shave. Still, I am very impressed with the Claymore and am happy to own a quality Feather AC type safety razor at a reasonable price.

The claymore is still my daily driver I did have a change and used my ikon x3 the other day which I like but it only lasted for one shave and it was back to the claymore.

I have tried upping the aggression and got some super blades a good shave very close but as I've found with my last trial of these blades they are very sharp but dull very quick only getting 3 good shaves out of them then becoming very rough instantly on the fourth shave. So as the pro blades give me 6 very good shaves I will stick with these in the future for the Feather blades.

You might want to try a Feather Pro Super blade. It is considerably more aggressive. I can't use them myself but many do.
Hi Gobalm, I shave XTG daily with my Claymore with no difficulty whatsoever, I have tough bristles and thin skin (I'm 59 and this is common as you age) yet I get consistently close shaves with the Claymore, I have been using Feather Professionals and I'm getting 8 very good shaves from each blade, I have went 11 shaves with one just to see how many I could squeeze out without damaging my skin. Have you watched the video? Here I shave XTG: goo.gl/uWCEcd
BRIAN | EXECUTIVE SHAVING

Hi Gobalm, I shave XTG daily with my Claymore with no difficulty whatsoever, I have tough bristles and thin skin (I'm 59 and this is common as you age) yet I get consistently close shaves with the Claymore, I have been using Feather Professionals and I'm getting 8 very good shaves from each blade, I have went 11 shaves with one just to see how many I could squeeze out without damaging my skin. Have you watched the video? Here I shave XTG: goo.gl/uWCEcd
BRIAN | EXECUTIVE SHAVING
I have no difficulty with my Claymore. It;s the Feather Pro SUPER blade I'm on about. The blade dimensions and resulting exposure and angle are considerably more aggressive in Mongoose and Claymore alike and don't suit me although they suit some. The Feather Pro is fine for me and gives me no problems.

Hello chaps, just thought I would update you on my Claymore experience.
Now I have had over ten shaves with this razor, and I'm loving it.
I think mine was from the second batch, and I know some have had their problems but mine is fine, hence why the shave is so good, like most razors, getting the angle right is paramount.
Although ES say the Claymore is having the issues resolved and new version will be out, I don't really need it, but you know how we are....I think I'll get one, purely for research...all I can say is if they do manage to improve it, it'll defo be worth getting.

Although ES say the Claymore is having the issues resolved and new version will be out, I don't really need it, but you know how we are....I think I'll get one, purely for research...all I can say is if they do manage to improve it, it'll defo be worth getting.

Do you know what changes are being made and when this new version will be out?

Do you know what changes are being made and when this new version will be out?
The firm that made our investment cast Claymore's could not guarantee to consistently achieve the tight tolerances required. We were returning around 50% each time to them for a variety of quality control reasons. We have changed the design and we are working on a new investment cast version as well as a machine tooled version which will guarantee the tolerances we need for blade alignment, blade gap and finish.
A firm in north east Scotland is currently working on proto-types for us and we hope to make a decision on which one to go for next week and go into full production shortly thereafter.
I know how these matters work and there will be hiccups, I expect us to have the new versions sometime in mid-late December. Here's a preview of one of the proto-types (on 10th November) , note the wraparound head:https://www.facebook.com/Executive.Shaving.Company/

The firm that made our investment cast Claymore's could not guarantee to consistently achieve the tight tolerances required. We were returning around 50% each time to them for a variety of quality control reasons. We have changed the design and we are working on a new investment cast version as well as a machine tooled version which will guarantee the tolerances we need for blade alignment, blade gap and finish.
A firm in north east Scotland is currently working on proto-types for us and we hope to make a decision on which one to go for next week and go into full production shortly thereafter.
I know how these matters work and there will be hiccups, I expect us to have the new versions sometime in mid-late December. Here's a preview of one of the proto-types (on 10th November) , note the wraparound head:https://www.facebook.com/Executive.Shaving.Company/

Thanks for the additional info - interesting indeed!

The fact that I (and many others) got a good Claymore speaks highly of ES ensuring that the 50% returns did not get to us. As zeeco mentioned, I am totally satisfied with my Claymore and really not too interested in getting the later version, however I have been swayed in the past, and will wait and see what comes out.

Back
Top Bottom