Claymore

I don't think the Claymore was designed to be a challenger to the ATT. However the thread is to discuss the Claymore and people who have one, their thoughts. Turns out to be a comparison thread between the Claymore and very expensive ATT SE which with all intents and purposes appears to have lost its way.
Totally agree. I have owned both. There is no comparison and nor should there be. It's like comparing a Mondeo with an Aston. Both do the same thing getting you from A to B and both use the same fuel but they are not in competition.
As I said earlier the ikon and razorock will be the direct competitors.

Thats funny Purbeck, when I was writing the post, I was thinking of cars in comparison, just like you say.

Each member on the board will have their own preferences as to what they like, and like to share their opinion which is great and knowledgeable for every one as it serves the purpose. You can apply to just about every aspect of life from Cars, Coffee, Mobile Phones, Mac's PC's, Cigars, Whisky to name but a few.

Have you received yours yet George?

I agree and I am all for standing up and being counted. Pretty new to the forum, and the art of DE and SE shaving (9mths). However, I don't think I would purchase a ATT or Mongoose due to cost.

I feel and see the difference in comparison to a cartridge razor v DE/SE, but I'm not qualified in any way to comment on comparison with the higher tarriff gear. I felt the thread was loosing its focus.
No not yet Paul. And what's been said about the cars is right but what's not been said is the Mondeo driver knows his car is not an Aston, his car does a fine job but he would still love the Aston.
The Aston driver might be surprised by the fit and finish of the Mondeo and the price difference is shocking but does the Aston driver won't the Mondeo, does he fuck he's got an Aston.

The man with the Aston will always have to keep up appearances, and if things go awry what will the neighbours think when they see him driving a Mondeo!

Had my second shave last night with the Claymore, and took my time by getting a feel for the curves on my face and the angle of the razor. Again the Claymore was taking broad sweeps and the 2 pass was enough to get most of it off with some touch ups around the lower neck and jaw. I don't have conventional hair growth mine grows in different directions, especially on the neck. So I have to be careful and get it right or I end up like Freddy Kruger.

A quick inspection this morning has shown there is hardly any bits missed and as soft as the baby.

Last edited:
What you've said about the Mondeo and the Aston is true, but they are still bound by the speed limit. An Aston driver might have a car that does 220mph, but he'll never be allowed to experience it. I don't know how this applies to razors, except that the Mondeo and Aston will arrive at point B at the same time, and the Claymore and SE1 will probably give identical shaves. Every thing else is superfluous.

I think the last car analogy should be YMMV lol
Mondeo is factory built in large numbers, Aston uses more bespoke parts and is put together by hand. They both do pretty much the same job but the Aston is hand finished and more luxurious and as a result - twice the price.

Now whisky - the Claymore is like a Highland Park.... Mongoose more Glenmorange... o_O

Had my first shave this morning with the Claymore.
And I can honestly say that it was one of the best shaves I've ever had. For me Brian has cracked it with this one.

There are a couple of different opinions about the fit and finish of this razor. To me it's priced perfectly because from having had one it's not a Mongoose or from having had ATT DE razors it's not up to the standard of either of them.

But for me shaves far better than I got from any of them. I'm not just happy because it's cheaper I'm happy because it's a better shave.
In two passes I was bbs and that's a rare thing for me. It would of been a bad day to shave for me with only a day and a half growth which normally leaves me sore faced.

But not with the Claymore I had no irritation at all. In my opinion any razor will give you a good shave with three days growth when you've got a bit of leverage and the hair has softened up a bit. But when it's short and like rubbing your hand over a wire brush it takes a good razor and the Claymore is.

This will stay with me now it's a keeper. My only fault for me, a bit of knurling on the handle it's not slippery but I do like to know I've got hold of it.
My favourite handle is the OSS.
So if you thinking about one stop and just get it. Very good in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom