Claymore

I had my very first shave this morning with the Claymore.

It was very comfortable 2½ pass shave, close and absolutely no skin irritation, cuts or nicks.

No trouble finding the right angle. I used a KAI Captain Titan Mild blade and had no trouble shaving the whiskers.

I like the weight, balance and feel of the razor and that it has a sort of unpolished industrial look.

Compared to my Feather DE (with KAI or Feather DE blade) the Claymore is a little bit more aggressive.

A very nice SE razor which is perfectly priced.

I had my second shave with the claymore this morning.
In the first shave i used a Feather pro guard. Not as close a shave as i expected a bit disapointed.
This morning i used a Feather pro blade. Still not really as close as i want.
The direction of the growth of my whiskers under the jawline is sort of all direction.
I guess i am doing something wrong.
The size of the head of the claymore seems to be a bit big to have a decent XTG pass under the jawline and further down. With a DE or a SE like a Micromatic or Ever Ready I don't have any issues in that area.

Some advice is needed as i am not parting with this SE razor for now. Not untill i tried every last thing ;-)

I had my second shave with the claymore this morning.
In the first shave i used a Feather pro guard. Not as close a shave as i expected a bit disapointed.
This morning i used a Feather pro blade. Still not really as close as i want.
The direction of the growth of my whiskers under the jawline is sort of all direction.
I guess i am doing something wrong.
The size of the head of the claymore seems to be a bit big to have a decent XTG pass under the jawline and further down. With a DE or a SE like a Micromatic or Ever Ready I don't have any issues in that area.

Some advice is needed as i am not parting with this SE razor for now. Not untill i tried every last thing ;-)
You might want to try a Feather Pro Super blade. It is considerably more aggressive. I can't use them myself but many do.

I'll echo the comments regarding the feather pro super blades.
My first three shaves with the claymore were with the pro and were excellent. Smooth, very close shave and no irritation at all. Very impressed, I think the quality of the razor is very good for the price and love the weight and balance of it.

My pro super blades arrived yesterday so gave one a go. Blimey these are sharp. They are a step up from the pro blades, effortless but more aggressive. The shave I had today was exceptional though.

Whether I'll be able to use a pro supers everyday will be the test or whether they are just a touch too aggressive. I will find out.

I have been very impressed with the claymore and using both sets of feather blades has made me realise what a step up they are from pretty much every DE blade I've used. The DE razors are already gathering dust, an excellent achievement from ES especially at the price.

The Pro Super Blade is More Aggressive because it has More Blade Exposure..Its a Wider Blade & Its Also Thicker that the Feather Pro..Bearing in Mind these were Designed for the Artist Club & Not for a Safety Razor..In My Books the Feather Super is Blunt by Comparison..The Feather Pro is by Far the Sharpest Current Blade Available Today..A Lot of Folks Just Cannot Handle it..:D

Billy

I am currently using a Feather Pro Super and agree they are great with more blade exposure. However, I am going to order a pack of Kai Sharp Blades which I used before in my Mongoose razors with great success. To me they gave a very close smooth shave. Not sure how they will do in the Claymore but only one way to find out. I don't think Kai is making this blade anymore going all out for the Mild version. A US seller on eBay has some left so I will order from them.

Hello Guy1307, try another shave with The Claymore, most users are reporting a close shave after 2 passes. The size of the head shouldn't be a hindrance, watch the video here, I shave XTG under my jaw with no difficulty:
goo.gl/uWCEcd
In you case, maybe three passes will shave you closer? Alternatively, try the Feather Super blades.
Brian
Thanks for the update Brian. I did try a super this morning and it went all well. 3 Passes and I am a happy chappy.

Just had my first shave with the Claymore, now I have been shaving with my Edwin Jagger for over 6 years, partnered with personna blades it has always given me a good shave, but I decided it was time for a change so I opted for the Claymore.

Out of the box I thought blimey it's got a bit of heft to it! it's got an industrial feel.
I used the pro blades as prescribed and everything else was what I normally use.

I automatically put it to the face at the same angle as my EJ, but that didn't work, but a slight adjustment got it gliding smoothly and it was so easy going down from the sideburns, because of the wide head it covered so much of my face with ease, it actually gave me a false sense of security, and when I got to the neck...nick..ouch, this needs a bit more respect on the sensitive areas, I'll have to do a few more shaves before I'm proficient around the neck area.
One area I was really impressed with was under the nose, I often have problems trying to get this area smooth, but the Claymore was good with short strokes leaving this area smooth.

I am sure once I have had 5-10 shaves my self and my face will get used to the Claymore and I will certainly enjoy trying to master it!

Back
Top Bottom