Cold water shaving

joe mcclaine said:
Your pores must be well knackered after all that malarkey.

Open, close, open, close, forget it.

Don't know if they actually open and close depending on water temperature but it just seems to make sense to apply alum after cold water, then rinse the salt off with warm then apply after shave balm after that.

Johnus said:
Confused (;/( you pore the cold water where??
Isn't it easier to just set the water at luke warm at the Fawcett??(1!?

Just use the faucet natural room temp to cold water. In wetting, rinsing between passes, cleaning razor etc. no towels or softeners or shower or steam before. Keep beard tight for easy killing

First cold water shave:

10 minute warm shower
FH Canadian Tech/Polsilver SI
Kent H8 face lathering QCS Vostok
WTG/ATG passes
Alum
Alcolado Glacial splash

A very enjoyable shave. No irritation & nice & smooth. Lovely face freezing rinses also :)

I have been solely cold water shaving post hot shower for just over a year now, find it reduces any burn and thus leaves my skin feeling less irritated.

I know I've posted this in another cold/hot water thread recently but, anyway, here goes (with working):

1) Wash face with soap to remove oil so that hairs can absorb water to the max. (Not a big production number, just wet face and rub in a little liquid soap from a dispenser.)

2) Shower, playing hot water on face from time to time. (If shower and shave become separated I uwave a small towel and use that to heat beard. This hot water is absorbed into the beard much better than cold.

3) Rinse face with cold water so that beard stands up and skin is harder and more resistant to abrasion.

4) Shave. (You get there in the end!)

This may seem a bit of a palaver but it actually only takes an extra thirty or so seconds compared to just using hot or cold and the results, for my skin/beard at any rate, are well worth it.

I've never found that the temperature of the water makes any difference to me. I shave using cool water if it's a warm day and use warmer water in winter (my bathroom has no radiator and I'm not sure I could handle cold water shaving in a November bathroom). I think just making sure your face is wet when you shave is the key. My routine is:

Fill sink with water, either warm or cool
Face lather
Shave (two or three passes)
Splash face with whatever water is in the sink (used lather, stubble and all)
Dry face
Aftershave

Job done!

Vetinari said:
I know I've posted this in another cold/hot water thread recently but, anyway, here goes (with working):

1) Wash face with soap to remove oil so that hairs can absorb water to the max. (Not a big production number, just wet face and rub in a little liquid soap from a dispenser.)

2) Shower, playing hot water on face from time to time. (If shower and shave become separated I uwave a small towel and use that to heat beard. This hot water is absorbed into the beard much better than cold.

3) Rinse face with cold water so that beard stands up and skin is harder and more resistant to abrasion.

4) Shave. (You get there in the end!)

This may seem a bit of a palaver but it actually only takes an extra thirty or so seconds compared to just using hot or cold and the results, for my skin/beard at any rate, are well worth it.

Yep that's what I did but SORE face ensued, after a couple of days I was down to only a couple of places with rash but every time I did the cold water thing putting alum/aftershave on was excruciating.

I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the cold water shaving pool, but I just can't do it. Every morning it's hmmm..... lovely hot water bath and relaxing shave or diving into a cold water bath for a nerve jangle!

Don't !! It just another one of those left wing Environmentalist plots to have you give up using fossils fuels!!
Don't give in!!

Been cold water shaving, after a hot shower, this week and really enjoy it. Will be cold from now on. Totally converted[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Baking hot today in the South and no time to shave yesterday so awoke groggy and sweaty with a heavy stubble on. I felt really grubby and a cold water shave appealed.

Cold water shaved and gotta say it was pretty darn marvellous. I just used Old Spice afterwards - no balm at all and i've never done that before...... There may be something in this?

Back
Top Bottom