Cold water shaving

jeepie said:
I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the cold water shaving pool, but I just can't do it. Every morning it's hmmm..... lovely hot water bath and relaxing shave or diving into a cold water bath for a nerve jangle!

Try rinsing your face in cold water - enough to cool the skin right down - after your hot bath.

That's the combination that ticks all the boxes. Hot water for maximum hydration of the hair and cold to firm the skin and raise the hairs a little.

Over the weekend I've had a couple of cold water shaves. Seems like a good thing, especially in warmer weather. I too can report less irritation but want to experiment further. I think a combination of hot and cold will be the way forward.

Happy shaving
Adam

Had a cold shave this morning and not as bad as I thought it might have been on the 2 day growth. Only real prep being the Proraso white pre cream and Arko soap over the top.

Still some irritation around Adams apple but even when using the alum block a few minutes after finishing there wasn't really any stinging like on previous shaves despite being some small nick's in that area too?

Certainly something to it.

I shave in cold water if I am using menthol based products, like Proraso pre-shave for instance or a menthol aftershave, the cold water seems to enhance the chill. Otherwise I will shave with warm water.

Decided to give the cold water thing a go this morning. Monday shave is one i look forward to as i don't shave Sat or Sun. Usually my best shave of the week. Cold water used from start to finish (Wickham Spice Trade has no issues lathering with cold water) and Monday is still a great shave. :D
Not sure it'll be an everyday thing but it was a great shave, Alum seemed to sting a lot less too, touch of Floid to finish off.
Lets see what the rest of Monday can throw at me....................

Have a great week BraveBlades! Must say I've switched completely to cold water shaving now and I love it. Even on a properly cold - about 2 degrees - winter's day like today!

Back
Top Bottom