Compare DE and cartridge smoothness

Compare DE and cartridge smoothess

• Total voters
discodaz said:
voted for DE because cartridges clog up too easily for me resulting in a crappy shave and razor burn.

I used to find this with canned goo, but when I switched to decent soaps, the problem disappeared

Shemen Zait said:
Leslie145 said:
Use DE about 80% of the time & the M3 cartridge the rest - get really good shaves with both. I prefer to use the DE, but if I'm in a hurry, I know I'll get just as good a shave with the M3 (it's a nice one to use, too - I have the EJ nickel plated M3)

I quite fancy one of those tarted up Mach 3 handles, something weighty sound nice.

It was that which started me on this journey - SWMBO bought me the EJ razor/brush/bowl set as a gift with C&E sandalwood soap & all of a sudden, I loved shaving... the EJ handle is nice & weighty, beautifully made and a joy to use.

Then I found B&B, then here, then...

I used to go one pass wtg with a mach3, I now use a 37c and probably get a similar result with a sharp blade in it. I can get closer with a DE as I wouldn't use a cart for three passes.

Well I couldn't shave everyday when I used carts, used be every 3 days or so and then clogging would shorten the blade use and nearly always used to get razor burn. this was one of the reasons I never shaved in the morning, as you could see the redness by the time I got in the office.

I've not had any irritation for months and no hint of razor burn and shave everyday so for me it would would be DE.

It's been nearly 2 years now since I swapped and the carts got given away and I've no intention of purchasing them again to find out if they were as bad as I remember.

Think I hey about the same with de or cartridge.
But de shaving is much more fun and as stated above the stubble seems to come back a lot slower after a de shave.

My very occasional cart shaves are now much improved since I moved to DE, with the much better technique and kit that comes with that. But I still find they don't get me as smooth all over as a DE, especially areas where the greater precision of a single blade really helps, like under the nose and beneath the sideburns. That said, when a quick 1 pass is required then the cart likely gives a better result.

I still have some KoS carts in the cupboard so in all fairness I should try one with my DE prep routine in order to see if it makes a difference. Because I have no idea, really which would be smoother nowadays.

shavecraft said:
My very occasional cart shaves are now much improved since I moved to DE, with the much better technique and kit that comes with that. But I still find they don't get me as smooth all over as a DE, especially areas where the greater precision of a single blade really helps, like under the nose and beneath the sideburns.

What you should try would be the Sensor. The very thin head profile makes it much easier than a DE to maneuver around tight areas. Great sight lines make sideburns a snap, Plus, the Sensor gives a nice shave. Not only that, but you don't have that weird handle angle like with a M3.

Maybe take a look at those in the store sometime.

dodgy said:
shavecraft said:
My very occasional cart shaves are now much improved since I moved to DE, with the much better technique and kit that comes with that. But I still find they don't get me as smooth all over as a DE, especially areas where the greater precision of a single blade really helps, like under the nose and beneath the sideburns.

What you should try would be the Sensor. The very thin head profile makes it much easier than a DE to maneuver around tight areas. Great sight lines make sideburns a snap, Plus, the Sensor gives a nice shave. Not only that, but you don't have that weird handle angle like with a M3.

Maybe take a look at those in the store sometime.

Cheers mate, got the Excel. I agree it's a pretty decent cart, probably my favourite of the ones I've used. The simplicity of the Sensor carts is preferable to the Excel's, but I'd have to order them online rather than grab them with the groceries.

I've just purchased a 5 blade cartridge system to try out following Dipesh's recommendation and have mixed views on it.

It really struggled to give an efficient shave on my face and felt quite 'tuggy' in use - I had to finish off with a DE in the end. I did have a few days stubble, so that may have accounted for the 'tugginess'.

It was a different story on my head though, where it was as smooth as silk and shaved as close as a Straight and was very comfortable in use.

So yes, a cartridge can be much smoother than a DE and I'll certainly use one on my head again. :)

I went from Electric (remington wet or dry triple rotary head- worked very well but new blade capsules cost more than the whole razor did!!) to a disposable cartidge 3 years ago (gillette mach 3 I think) I used a proper brush and soap (not fizz in a can!)

Got on well with it, but kept cutting myself for some reason, sometimes quite badly. I took the plunge and bought a 34C.

What a difference- much closer shaves, no irritation and naff all cuts and nicks. Actually find it quicker now with practice.

I hadn't shaved since Friday am until about 3 hrs ago (60 hours) I used a shavecraft 101 (bought off here- many thanks) OC 1st pass, CC 2nd and 3rd pass with a feather blade. Face lathered, took all of 3 minutes, BBS finished. No irritation, blood or discomfort. Lovely.

Took longer to clean the basin.......

Hiya,

Well I wouldn't have guessed the poll results and 55 members is a good amount to help with accuracy.

Looks like about 12% found the cartridge best for whacking whiskers, then 23% saw no real difference and finally 63% thought a DE gave the closest shave.

For some reason I kinda thought more people would choose the cartridge option. Maybe that's because so many DE users say they don't look for a BBS result. So it's confusing to me, because of the very large percent voting DE. I had thought (maybe incorrectly), that a cartridge would be much easier to shave with and still get a nice smooth face. Maybe not BBS, but maybe DFS, which is still very good. I did read about some people getting bad results from a cartridge, and I can see why they voted as they did.

Anyway, it looks like a DE does actually shave better than a cartridge for the very large majority. Heh, end up getting a smooth face........yet another use for shaving crap!! Who woulda thunk it!!

Martin

Sorry Martin, only just saw this. Not here as often as I used to be.

Cartridges (sensors) now give me the closest shave, with the help of a couple of passes, proper soap and a brush I'm getting shaves from a sensor that I never used to. I still use a DE a couple of times a week because I like it, but a 2 blade cart is getting me as smooth or a little smoother than anything else that I own, if I'm honest.

I'll go and vote now.

The problem with the cartridge system is, as per their adverts, the first blade lifts the hair out the follicle and the next blade(s) cut it, then it drops back below skin level.

So yeah it's super smooth as the stubble is beyond reach, but now your follicle is at risk of getting clogged resulting in an ingrowing hair. I've a big hole in the middle of each cheek as testament to this. That was my original reason for being drawn to a single blade.

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Well I wouldn't have guessed the poll results and 55 members is a good amount to help with accuracy.

Looks like about 12% found the cartridge best for whacking whiskers, then 23% saw no real difference and finally 63% thought a DE gave the closest shave.

For some reason I kinda thought more people would choose the cartridge option. Maybe that's because so many DE users say they don't look for a BBS result. So it's confusing to me, because of the very large percent voting DE. I had thought (maybe incorrectly), that a cartridge would be much easier to shave with and still get a nice smooth face. Maybe not BBS, but maybe DFS, which is still very good. I did read about some people getting bad results from a cartridge, and I can see why they voted as they did.

Anyway, it looks like a DE does actually shave better than a cartridge for the very large majority. Heh, end up getting a smooth face........yet another use for shaving crap!! Who woulda thunk it!!

Martin

Don't believe the results 100%, you have to account for forum bias :)

There is a 'fiddle factor' to be applied to polls, for example in the UK British cars used to get better reliability results from owner polls than the garage polls would suggest were true (when we used to make British cars that is..).

The analysis of this phenomonon showed that people will be generous towards things they have a sense of loyalty towards, as such, this forum is alwyays going to vote for DE/SE/CT over those nasty cartridge / disposable razors.

Going by the results, and the expected bias I'd expect the truth to more 50:50

If anyone is really not happy about that ^^ POV I could, if I was @rsed, dig out thhe research from the internet, alternately folk could simply google "opinion poll bias factors"

PS, I voted DE, I use a twin blade disposable system when I travel, Gillette Blue, but despite carrying a good soap (Palmolive) and brush (vintage badger) I can't get quite the same close shave with the disposable.

My daily driver is a Gillette Slim Adjustable, set to 9, with either a 7 o'clock yellow, Astra SP, Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue or Vokshod blade. I used the 7 o'clock this morning at 06:00 and as I type this at 20:00, 14 hours later, my chops still feel adequately smooth, I've felt worse immediately after a Mach III shave than I do now!

My best DE result comes from a Gillette New Model Long Comb, with a Feather blade, that will keep me smooth for over 36 hours!!!

Back
Top Bottom