Compare DE and cartridge smoothness

Compare DE and cartridge smoothess

• Total voters
TRXnMe said:

dodgy said:
For some reason I kinda thought more people would choose the cartridge option. Maybe that's because so many DE users say they don't look for a BBS result. So it's confusing to me, because of the very large percent voting DE.

Anyway, it looks like a DE does actually shave better than a cartridge for the very large majority. Heh, end up getting a smooth face........yet another use for shaving crap!! Who woulda thunk it!!

Martin

Don't believe the results 100%, you have to account for forum bias :)

There is a 'fiddle factor' to be applied to polls, for example in the UK British cars used to get better reliability results from owner polls than the garage polls would suggest were true (when we used to make British cars that is..).

The analysis of this phenomonon showed that people will be generous towards things they have a sense of loyalty towards, as such, this forum is alwyays going to vote for DE/SE/CT over those nasty cartridge / disposable razors.

Going by the results, and the expected bias I'd expect the truth to more 50:50

Now that was a good post. Made me consider some things in a different light, so thanks. If I understand you right, you think the voting was fixed, even though it was done with good intentions. Hah, skewed by Limey politeness and loyalty. I always forget about that polite quirk, being a Yanker and all.

Yeah, that sure helps clear up my confusion with the results.

Anyway, thanks for helping out.

Martin

I have mentioned adding a 'Chicago' option to the voting. Dead and banned members can vote too by proxy.

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Well I wouldn't have guessed the poll results and 55 members is a good amount to help with accuracy.

Looks like about 12% found the cartridge best for whacking whiskers, then 23% saw no real difference and finally 63% thought a DE gave the closest shave.

For some reason I kinda thought more people would choose the cartridge option. Maybe that's because so many DE users say they don't look for a BBS result. So it's confusing to me, because of the very large percent voting DE. I had thought (maybe incorrectly), that a cartridge would be much easier to shave with and still get a nice smooth face. Maybe not BBS, but maybe DFS, which is still very good. I did read about some people getting bad results from a cartridge, and I can see why they voted as they did.

Anyway, it looks like a DE does actually shave better than a cartridge for the very large majority. Heh, end up getting a smooth face........yet another use for shaving crap!! Who woulda thunk it!!

Martin

You have to allow for the human tendency to rationalisation.

This is our ability to create a rational explanation for something that we do not understand or is actually contrary to evidence.

One of the most striking examples is when a 'hero' figure (e.g. politician, film or music star) is shown to have behaved in some reprehensible manner. Many of the people who admire the person in question will rationalise away all evidence against their hero(ine) in order that they can continue to admire them and/or not have to admit to having admired a villain.

They will claim 'it's a mistake', 'it's biased reporting', 'people are jealous and make things up', 'they've got the wrong person', 'it's unimportant because they are a xxx, not a saint' - anything to avoid facing an unpleasant truth.

People invest a lot of time and money in DE/SE shaving and the last thing they want to admit is that, actually, a cartridge gives a better shave in less time and (assuming they don't waste money on Gillette's overpriced offerings) for a lower cost.

I know I felt rather let down when I discovered that a cartridge definitely did a better job for me - and I still use my DE once a week because I like shaving with it so much.

So I would guess that there are at least a few people who, in reality, get a better shave from a cartridge but deny the fact, even to themselves, because they simply prefer the whole experience of DE.

It's not about admitting it's a better shave; a good shave is more than just how close it is and ignore all other factors.
One factor being, as I said before, that the lift and cut method may seem close but leaves one susceptible to problems.

The fact that someone has read this thread and concluded "better than" illustrates precisely why many people may be reluctant to answer the specific question honestly.

Back
Top Bottom