Currently eating....

What are you eating....

Most of the time Lidl Fruit and Veg is a lot better than our local Tesco. I've complained about Our local Tesco many a time! just to get the reply our staff constantly monitor the quality. Which is total crap, I could go in there anytime and find sub standard items. We tend to buy our meat from either Morrisons or our local butcher, again better quality than Tesco. The thing about Lidl is the better quality at a more reasonable price. We don't go In there unless we are in Barnstaple though as it's a 20 mile or so round trip.

RE: What are you eating....

Working at home today, so something simple for lunch.

Cooked up 7 dry cured rashers that come from a local farm a few miles down the road. No other bacon allowed in this house anymore.

Plan was to eat 4 now with some toast, and have a sarnie with the others later.

No fresh bread... so ate the lot in one go.

Ribeye steak in the fridge for the supper tonight.

Pig Cat said:
Winding my way through Matzah crackers, cheddar cheese and green tomato chutney

Shalom, non kosher kitty,

Matzah eh? Now you're talkin!! Being a Chosen One, the secret of making a great Fried Matzah has been handed down from mother to son. Some days there's just nothing else that quite hits the spot like that dish does.

Sorta labor intensive with soaking the matzah and then wringing it out before frying in butter till sorta toasty. Then the mixed up eggs are added and coat the matzah as they cook. Season and serve hot. Oh yeah, adding diced bologna or salami.......dat's an option.

Oy mamacita,

Moishe

dodgy said:
Matzah eh? Now you're talkin!! Being a Chosen One, the secret of making a great Fried Matzah has been handed down from mother to son. Some days there's just nothing else that quite hits the spot like that dish does.

Sorta labor intensive with soaking the matzah and then wringing it out before frying in butter till sorta toasty. Then the mixed up eggs are added and coat the matzah as they cook. Season and serve hot. Oh yeah, adding diced bologna or salami.......dat's an option.

Hmmm...fried matzah is a regular lunchtime snack for me too. Now I was taught by my father to soak broken up matzah in boiling water, squish it out and then mix with egg and plenty of salt and pepper. Then it should be fried in butter. It sounds like you leave your matzah in sheets. Dat certainly is an option!! But surely if you add ham to it, the whole thing will just explode in to a blasphemous puff of smoke?!

Pig Cat said:
dodgy said:
Now I was taught by my father to soak broken up matzah in boiling water, squish it out and then mix with egg and plenty of salt and pepper. Then it should be fried in butter. It sounds like you leave your matzah in sheets. Dat certainly is an option!! But surely if you add ham to it, the whole thing will just explode in to a blasphemous puff of smoke?!

What I do is to break up the matzah and soak in cold water for a few minutes. The idea is to soften up the crackers a lot, but to still leave some slightly firm texture after the water is squoze out.

Takes maybe 5-6 minutes of doing the butter saute to get the matzah coated and lightly toasted and hot all the way through. From there I will mix up a few eggs very well and pour em in the pan....two eggs for 5-6 matzah sheets.
Stir and continue cooking till the eggs are firmly coating the crackers. Normally salt's the only seasoning for this delicate dish. Tasty!

dodgy said:
Pig Cat said:
dodgy said:
Now I was taught by my father to soak broken up matzah in boiling water, squish it out and then mix with egg and plenty of salt and pepper. Then it should be fried in butter. It sounds like you leave your matzah in sheets. Dat certainly is an option!! But surely if you add ham to it, the whole thing will just explode in to a blasphemous puff of smoke?!

What I do is to break up the matzah and soak in cold water for a few minutes. The idea is to soften up the crackers a lot, but to still leave some slightly firm texture after the water is squoze out.

Takes maybe 5-6 minutes of doing the butter saute to get the matzah coated and lightly toasted and hot all the way through. From there I will mix up a few eggs very well and pour em in the pan....two eggs for 5-6 matzah sheets.
Stir and continue cooking till the eggs are firmly coating the crackers. Normally salt's the only seasoning for this delicate dish. Tasty!

Similar to my recipe then, but I chuck it all in at once. It's quite nice to know somebody outside my own family who cooks this. :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom