D R Harris Lavender vs Cyril R Salter Shaving Soaps

Been enjoying reading your findings on both soaps Boycie. I like DR Harris and enjoy the Windsor, Marlborough and Arlington scents, to me they are good solid typically British soaps. Funnily enough I find Proraso more drying on my face, horses for courses I suppose. My favourite Lavender soap or cream is Castle Forbes so I doubt if I will be in the market for CRS. Thanks for the review though. Also thanks to Brian for his input on the ingredient list

Been enjoying reading your findings on both soaps Boycie. I like DR Harris and enjoy the Windsor, Marlborough and Arlington scents, to me they are good solid typically British soaps. Funnily enough I find Proraso more drying on my face, horses for courses I suppose. My favourite Lavender soap or cream is Castle Forbes so I doubt if I will be in the market for CRS. Thanks for the review though. Also thanks to Brian for his input on the ingredient list
Thank you Neil. Interesting point about the Proraso dryness. Perhaps lends some weight to Nav's comment regarding the reaction to each of us? Castle Forbes Lavender is beautiful. I have an unused tub I'm saving that I enjoy the occasional sniff of.

I was curious about the CRS but after this review I don't think I'll bother. I'm sure it'll be fine but I have a kilo (litre?) of 3P and am very happy with it, plus loads of Arko sticks, and I'm revisiting some vintage soaps I had forgotten about till recently.

Appreciate you sharing your opinions
I'm a huge 3P fan and also have the large block - currently in the fridge, much to my wife's chagrin

I have to pee in the fridge. I don't know what 3P is, but I have 2P in the fridge. It's Patum Peperium and I will have to start spreading it thickly on toast if I'm to finish it in any reasonable amount of time. It says to use within three weeks of opening but I'll have to ignore that because it's already been longer, and I won't throw it away.

That marzipan smell however...

hYpDW5e.gif

I have to pee in the fridge. I don't know what 3P is, but I have 2P in the fridge. It's Patum Peperium and I will have to start spreading it thickly on toast if I'm to finish it in any reasonable amount of time. It says to use within three weeks of opening but I'll have to ignore that because it's already been longer, and I won't throw it away.
This post had me in tears of laughter.

Fine work my friend.

@Boycie83 Interesting they are both Parfum (fragrance oil)., which may make marginal difference to the fragrance to the nose.
Neither are true Lavender (i.e. Lavender Essential Oil).

Hi there Brian,

You are exactly right when it comes to scent having various interpretations and nose pounding differences. Any frag using FO is gonna be a crapshoot as to what's hoped for or close to it. Even 'one note' frags like sandalwood and lime or pick one can be a blend of who knows what

Seems to me a true lavender EO done in a single note version's the way to go if lavender is your deal. I've always heard in the past that AOS uses only one EO in some products like lavender but no idea what's up now.

Plus Brian, as you know, there's a bunch of different kinds with note differences, just like real sandalwood will vary. And if you members like lime then get just lime and nothing else in the way.

Yes everyone, slide gently down the fragrance huffing hole.

Martin

Last edited:
I was curious about the CRS but after this review I don't think I'll bother. I'm sure it'll be fine but I have a kilo (litre?) of 3P and am very happy with it, plus loads of Arko sticks, and I'm revisiting some vintage soaps I had forgotten about till recently.

Appreciate you sharing your opinions
I have both the CRS and 3P and I prefer the former. However as you have a load of 3P, I quite understand your point.

Never tried 3P soap but have the pre shave and it seems to be pretty good.
The 3P Pre/Post is excellent stuff if your skin is a bit on the dry/tight side before a shave. Or after an iffy result the day before. If I get carried away during the daily rasp and find a touch of irritation afterwards, then three is the magic number.

Actually, three really is the magic number - beating the Hibs 3-0 in the league and within three weeks, knocking them out of the cup 3-0. @Mike Smart will verify the facts for anyone concerned. I only wish we could play them every week…but then standards would inevitably drop so perhaps it’s best not.

Sing along with Gairdner, “Three is the magic number…”

That’s THREE.

Back
Top Bottom