DE Razor purchase choice

Hi

I am putting together a DE setup and have narrowed down choice of razor to the following:

• Muhle R89 - £25
  • EJ89 (smooth chrome) £20
  • Merkur HD 34C - £30
  • Gillette Rocket HD (as an outsider) £??

Have sensitive skin type but like a smooth finish. Any recommendations from the above? The good thing about the Merkur is the two piece construction and its reviews for closeness though the aggressiveness and short arm may be a concern.

Thanks

You will probably end up try them all at some stage but any of the choices would be a good start. My favourite out ot your choices would be the merkur by far. If you prefer a longer handle model you would be better suited by the Muhle or EJ.

Of your choices I would pick the HD 34C.

Look on any of the forums and this is consistently rated among the best DE razors to start (and stick) with.

I started with a Merkur HD and it was a great starter razor. Never tried any of the others on your list so unfortunately I cannot offer you a comparison.

The Muhle and EJ are both really nice razors and are finished to a high standard and either would be an excellent first choice.

The Muhle handle is particularly attractive so I would be tempted to go for this myself.

There's always other options such as a Gillette Tech. If you want to try one I'll happily PIF you the aluminium handled on in my sales thread.

I started with the 34c, a really great razor. Love the weight and the handle length is just right. I have this now as my 2nd razor as now using the Merkur Progress. You may want to consider this also.

Cheers,
Geoff

The Merkur 34HD was my trainer razor, built like a brick outhouse and it proved to be a great razor for me. I would not recommend any adjustable for 1st razor as it will just mean you spend time fiddling about adjusting it when it you need to get your technique right. Get a blade sampler pack and try to keep everything else the same for a month, that way you can concentrate on getting your shave right.
If you do get any issues just ask on here, plenty of help is available from the guys.

I also am a fan of the 34c; however, I'd add a caveat which is that, if you need a mild razor due to genuinely sensitive skin, then either the EJ or Muhle (which, as I understand have the same head) may be a better choice. In general I feel the Merkur is the better choice as it trains you to maintain proper blade angle and minimal pressure due to its more aggressive nature. As for the HD rocket, I love mine. It's less aggressive than the Merkur but still gives a close shave with good technique. Like the Merkur it's a hefty razor, and it's quite short-handled like the Merkur as well.

Thanks for the prompt replies chaps - decisions...decisions... :)

Will prob leave the HD Rocket for now. I have heard the EJ/R89 with Feather blades are a good combo and give a great close shave. HD 34C would help train technique better but how much more aggressive is it?

I am using a Wilkington Sword £4.69 cheap razor from Boots as a guide and would be interested how much closer/aggressive these would be?

Thanks again.

geezer said:
. I have heard the EJ/R89 with Feather blades are a good combo and give a great close shave. HD 34C would help train technique better but how much more aggressive is it?

I am using a Wilkington Sword £4.69 cheap razor from Boots as a guide and would be interested how much closer/aggressive these would be?

Thanks again.

Hi Nick,

Whatever razor you decide on, I'd suggest you skip the Feather blade for a while. It's not a good one to practice technique with, especially with a new to you razor that might be more aggressive than your only other one. The Feather won't forgive screw ups like other, more normal blades will provide for.

Many people never use a Feather blade for one reason or another and still end up getting great shaves. I only use em in a couple of my mildest razors and then they become magical. In most all my other razors that blade just isn't needed or preferred.

Your call of course,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom