DE Razor purchase choice

I've been DE shaving for coming up to 6 months now, originally with a DE89 but I recently bought a 34C. I've tried the 34C with a Tiger (my favourite blade so far in the DE89) and it was the best DE shave that I've yet had. I've been underwhelmed with Astra SPs and Gillette Greens in the DE89 (though I'm going to try an Astra in the 34C next) but I like the Gillette Super Thins and Super Platinums (Black, Blue?). FWIW, I can now get a nick-free shave with both DE89 and 34C at least 9 times out of 10, though my Gillette NEW will give me the odd nip a little more frequently on a couple of tricky areas...

S.

Speedy's right, there just seems to be a bit of work on technique needed, the razor and the blade are all good enough, you're probably just being a bit hard on your face. Prepare for that bit longer, let the stubble get some good hot water on it for a few more minutes (stand in the shower longer) and just go that bit easier and nicks really shouldn't occur. A nick is usually just a sign of too much pressure and also rushed prep and therefore tougher hairs... no matter how tough hairs are, they all soften in enough hot water.

When I first had the 34C I found it was easy to overshave and end up a little tender but it will come, and it won't take long really. Just practice to get the muscle memory.

Did you want to try a Jagger DE87 for nowt? I can bung one in the post for you to try for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for that info everyone. Probably going over the same area too many times/much pressure and maybe some buffing would help. Will try to attend more to the area but maybe the following point has some part to play:

I asked about blade imbalance on another thread as noticed the amount of blade showing on each side of the razor can vary as one screws the head on the 34C down and have some play in the razor on an Astra and Gillette green that I tried early this morning so was considering maybe the blade isn't evenly aggressive one side compared to the other? Also thinking if there is play in the likes of EJ87/89 or R89 blades when in the heads too? :-/ Thanks for the offer @canuck - generous and tempting given the last point but maybe you could see if there is play or razor imbalance in that razor please? Thanks

If there's play or movement in the blade when the razor is assembled and ready to use, then either the blade or razor (or both) is faulty. The blade should be clamped firmly and held in a curved shape when the razor is assembled; any movement of the edges as you're shaving could be quite problematic.

Sorry Chris for any ambiguity, was meaning there is a little movement as screwing the head down but is firm once in place. Hope this makes more sense.

geezer said:
Sorry Chris for any ambiguity, was meaning there is a little movement as screwing the head down but is firm once in place. Hope this makes more sense.

Ah, well that sounds OK, though if the blade gap is noticeably larger on one side than the other it might be as well to see if you can return it or find out from some of our more engineering-minded members to see if anything can be done to adjust things.

Back
Top Bottom