DE Razor purchase choice

Don't believe you'll go far wrong with the 89 shaving head whichever manufacturer you buy it from. The Muhle will give you a very nice, smooth shave with no fierceness and is, my view, a more forgi9ving razor than the Merkur.
The 89 will also "grow" with you as your technique develops.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

On the 34HD which was my first razor - after a few months of putzing around with vintage Gillettes went back to HD with a feather in it last week - and it is an exceptionally efficient tool got some really great shaves - but a momentary lapse in concentration and I cut my chin first time in months and months - so good for learning but can be unforgiving...

Thanks again guys.

Looks like the logical step is Muhle R89 with its better handle and then perhaps get the Merkur 34C in the future.

Got the EJ89L (lined chrome) as my first DE. Nice razor, no problem with the grip. A good first buy and I usually get a very good shave from it. After 10 months of using it I've come to the view that I'd like to try a more aggressive implement. Also have the Wilkie Classic, bought as a travel razor. It'll give a decent shave but, for me, is much too mild...so it's now not used other than being tucked away as an "emergency spare".

There are so many variables I don't think one razor can be better than another really, its all down to personal preference.
I started with a Merkur Futur, which I was told was quite aggressive, I didn't find this at the time, but now I have used a few older Gillettes I know what mild really means.
I have a selection of razors, ranging from an aggresive ICON classic through to a very mild Gillette Tech, neither of which I use as one is too aggressive, the other too mild.

I find with a razor that is too mild or too light I tend to use too much pressure and too many passes required resulting in razor burn, so a bit of aggression is required for me.

My personal favourites are the Merkur Progress and the Gillette Adjustable (Fatboy).

I have a heavy beard, so need a fairly aggressive razor, I also have quite sensitive skin so need to remove the beard in as few passes as possible.

Just to update I opted for the Merkur HD 34C which arrived today and loaded with a Derby blade. Early days but nice quality and very close shave. It is small but nothing I wasn't aware of.

Thanks all :)

Good choice with the 34c. I started with this and still use every few weeks.
Once you get your technique sorted I'd suggest getting a blade sample pack as there are some great blades out there!
Cheers,
Geoff

geezer said:
Just to update I opted for the Merkur HD 34C which arrived today and loaded with a Derby blade. Early days but nice quality and very close shave. It is small but nothing I wasn't aware of.

Thanks all :)

Good deal,

Now don't change the razor or type of blade for at least two weeks. All you're looking to do is develop some technique and muscle memory right now. After a couple weeks you'll have developed a reference point for the next blade you try, and you'll be better suited to seeing which one is gonna fit you best.

After a couple weeks things start going along faster and this goofy 'hobby' really starts getting to be fun.

Martin

Agree with the above but don't stick with a blade that doesn't suit you. I tried the derby and just knew it wasn't right in my razor (EJ89) for my face. BTW, I've not found the EJ89 too slippy at all but I doubt you'll need one now you've got the Merkur.

Enjoy mate, let me know how you get on, when I was choosing it was a close one between the Merkur and the EJ for me!

The 34C HD was my first razor, I've had maybe a dozen or so different models and makes and still own 4 other razors but that Merkur is the one I keep going back to. It's a good choice, no other razor is as efficient in my view.

Now you have one you won't need a Jagger 8X, I have the 87 and it's very pretty but just too benign on thick stubble. Not bad for touch ups mind you, and they do look fabulous, the finish is flawless. I'm considering doing my head with the Jagger it's that mild, shame not to use it.

Once you've got your technique sorted with the Derby blades, try a sample pack as previously suggested - not only will you be able to try a variety of blades, but it's likely that you'll benefit more from better blades than the Derbys (i.e. almost all of them) than you would if you hadn't first sorted your technique with the Derbys.

dantheman said:
Agree with the above but don't stick with a blade that doesn't suit you. I tried the derby and just knew it wasn't right in my razor (EJ89) for my face. BTW, I've not found the EJ89 too slippy at all but I doubt you'll need one now you've got the Merkur.

Enjoy mate, let me know how you get on, when I was choosing it was a close one between the Merkur and the EJ for me!

Well just thought I'd revisit this post and all the helpful posts.

Think I am getting my technique sorted and trying different blades but don't know why I am getting quite a few nicks and cuts mostly around the chin area. Am starting to think maybe the Merkur is a little too aggressive for my skin... Just finished using the Astra SP blade and didn't have the best time. The Gillette yellow looked ok first day but the other days I recall a few nicks. Going to try a Gillette Green and see how that fares. Have Gillette SP (blue) and super thin as well as Tiger to go.

Maybe the R89/EJ89 would be best for my soft skin but the hard stubble on my chin would pose a problem if too mild.

Your technique will improve over time and you will get less nicks and irritation. Main thing to remember is no pressure! let the razor do the work and make sure your lather is giving a good cushion and glide. Gillette green's are very forgiving as are Personna, either of those blade would be less likely to bite like the Yellow's and Astra.

Back
Top Bottom