EDC

Was able to pick up my little white whale in terms of pocket knives this weekend - the CRKT Van Hoy 5120 snap lock (which is the smaller one of the models).
It's been discontinued for a few years so finding one in like-new condition for $40 was a great find :)

2n66ejb.jpg

Here's the knife I bought - it also came with another CRKT knife called "Full Throttle" that I know nothing about. It seems to have a little bit of wear on it but seems like a nice enough knife. Especially being 'free'.

Will see when I receive them this or next week.
2djcg0j.jpg

Update: Found this video on the 'Full Throttle', actually looks pretty neat:

Last edited:
Was able to pick up my little white whale in terms of pocket knives this weekend - the CRKT Van Hoy 5120 snap lock (which is the smaller one of the models).
It's been discontinued for a few years so finding one in like-new condition for $40 was a great find :)

2n66ejb.jpg

Here's the knife I bought - it also came with another CRKT knife called "Full Throttle" that I know nothing about. It seems to have a little bit of wear on it but seems like a nice enough knife. Especially being 'free'.

Will see when I receive them this or next week.
2djcg0j.jpg

Update: Found this video on the 'Full Throttle', actually looks pretty neat:

Some nice knives there. Good job you don't have the stupid knife laws we do in the UK.

Until they brought them in, I had a nice selection of Gerber, Boker and other lock-knives,all with short blades, to carry around. These were a real treat after the usual non-locking English penknives, which closed on my fingers many times during heavy use.

There's an old saying here that you can't go wrong carrying a bob(a pre-decimal UK shilling), a pocket knife and a piece of string.

Some nice knives there. Good job you don't have the stupid knife laws we do in the UK.

Until they brought them in, I had a nice selection of Gerber, Boker and other lock-knives,all with short blades, to carry around. These were a real treat after the usual non-locking English penknives, which closed on my fingers many times during heavy use.

There's an old saying here that you can't go wrong carrying a bob(a pre-decimal UK shilling), a pocket knife and a piece of string.

I've read the California knife laws - down to county level - a few times and I am still a bit confused but the quick and dirty key take-aways for where I live are;

In your home:
- You can collect and own any knife,

Out in public:
1. Carry any type - or size - of manually opening folding knife, either openly or concealed,
2. Openly carry any type - or size - of fixed-blade, single-edged or double-edged,
3. Carry any auto knife if the blade is shorter than 2-2.5 inches.
4. "Concealed" knives (in canes, etc) are not allowed.

* The above differs a bit from county to county

Last edited:
I've read the California knife laws - down to county level - a few times and I am still a bit confused but the quick and dirty key take-aways for where I live are;

In your home:
- You can collect and own any knife,

Out in public:
- No switchblades
- Generally a 3" blade limitation (differs by county)
- No 'concealed' knives (in canes, etc).

Similar in many ways to here. Home=same, switchblades ( flickknives ) banned here since 1950s, ditto blade length limitation. Swordsticks etc also by implication illegal.

The big difference is that folding but lockable blade knives within length bounds were OK until a few years ago. Then a judge ruled that a fixed blade was in effect equivalent to a sheath knife,and thus illegal.

Woke up this morning and noticed it was rather frosty. A great opportunity to fire up the Whitby Hand Hand/Pocket Warmer. Filled it up with to accommodate a 12hr burn cycle to break it in, then the usual routine kicks in.

The reading in the car this morning as I set about removing the frost.

IMG_20161205_081813.jpg

So, the wee purchase that got delivered yesterday one day ahead of schedule came in handy.
IMG_20161205_080241.jpg

Jumped in to the car and drove to work with roasty toasty hands. Filled at 6am and its still going strong.

These were a real treat after the usual non-locking English penknives, which closed on my fingers many times during heavy use.

How exactly do you use a knife in such a manner that it closes onto your fingers? I've heard this a few times and am genuinely baffled as to what you'd be doing with it to cause that.

How exactly do you use a knife in such a manner that it closes onto your fingers? I've heard this a few times and am genuinely baffled as to what you'd be doing with it to cause that.
Generally it's a result of carelessness or haste. I've never managed it when just cutting down flat onto something, but it's happened to me a few times when I've been using the knife point to precisely cut something, or in making a hole in, for example, thick sailcloth.

You're OK as long as the pressure is upwards from the edge, thus pushing the blade tang against the spring in the "locked open" position. If, through the blade tip slipping or binding in the material, the pressure suddenly translates to the back of the blade at the point end, it acts as a fulcrum to close the blade. In the event that your grip on the handle encircles it, including the recess, then the first thing the closing blade edge usually meets is your fingers.

On some knives I've had, the length of tang against the spring when supposedly locked is pretty minimal, and, depending where the spring central rivet is, and the strength of the spring, not much pressure is needed to close the blade, which is always done by pressure on the back. The worst knife I ever had for this was a British Army clasp knife from the Second World War, which had a ferocious spring, and a tang worn away by use and thus not very good at holding the blade open; but pretty effective at slamming it shut with little back pressure.

Woke up this morning and noticed it was rather frosty. A great opportunity to fire up the Whitby Hand Hand/Pocket Warmer. Filled it up with to accommodate a 12hr burn cycle to break it in, then the usual routine kicks in.

View attachment 22480

So, the wee purchase that got delivered yesterday one day ahead of schedule came in handy.
View attachment 22481

Jumped in to the car and drove to work with roasty toasty hands. Filled at 6am and its still going strong.

Great! What method did you use to light it?

View attachment 22480

View attachment 22481

a) something's wrong with your temperature display it's like there's a minus sign in front of the temperature,
b) so how did you like the hand warmer? :)

a) something's wrong with your temperature display it's like there's a minus sign in front of the temperature,
b) so how did you like the hand warmer? :)
Yeah that's typical temp in Scotland. It may get colder as the season progresses.

The hand warmer was just phenomenal. Topped up and the first burn lasted 9hrs. After a couple of uses I should get 12hrs.

Yeah that's typical temp in Scotland. It may get colder as the season progresses.

The hand warmer was just phenomenal. Topped up and the first burn lasted 9hrs. After a couple of uses I should get 12hrs.

Great stocking stuffer item. Now I'm really curious to get mine. Temperature here dropped to 11C today.

Back
Top Bottom