Executive Shaving stopping their 10% discount...

Just got their email notifying that their 10% discount will be stopping on the 18th October, so you've only 2 days to use it...

""The Bad News
Due to constant misuse, we have to announce that from 5pm on Friday the 18th of October, we will be suspending our generic 10% discount codes indefinitely.
We have had to take this action due to the constant misuse of these codes from their intended purpose.""

I got this. That's a shame, I have only ever used the forum discount code and one code that was sent to me as an introductory offer. You've got to respect his decision if people are taking the piss.

I don't know if forum codes count as generic or how it has been abused? Maybe they will come on and tell us.

Received this email today and thought it was shocking. If ES issue a generic, unconditional discount code and people use it as such, how on earth is that customer misuse?

I read the email and it simply felt like they were blaming customers for using their code.

The fact of the matter is that from their standpoint, having emailed them about this, the discount is no longer sustainable from their profit perspective... so instead of emailing customers and saying "you've being misusing our discount code" they really should be pointing the finger back at themselves and say it's been a bad business decision and issuing a communication that effectively states the the discount is being discontinued as it's unsustainable... not blaming paying customers.

It states generic 10% discount codes so I'm guessing it's across the board and not just a TSR one ? As they may have discounts in other ways and for other forums/promotions

I emailed them about this and here is their response:

The discount codes are now up on some rogue websites on the internet.
We have measured sales that used the discount code and a lot were for one-off orders. We were not rewarding our regulars, instead we were subsidizing one time buyers.

The financial reality is we were 'giving away' far too much in discounts and subsidised shipping charges, for the business to remain viable we had to take these steps.

I hope you understand our situation.

jb74 said:
I emailed them about this and here is their response:

The discount codes are now up on some rogue websites on the internet.
We have measured sales that used the discount code and a lot were for one-off orders. We were not rewarding our regulars, instead we were subsidizing one time buyers.

The financial reality is we were 'giving away' far too much in discounts and subsidised shipping charges, for the business to remain viable we had to take these steps.

I hope you understand our situation.

I'm assuming it was Brian that emailed you? I've had several dealings with them, and their customer service has always been excellent. It's just a shame they can't verify their potential customer by offering a loyalty type code on your purchase receipt. Still, I'm sure they've gone over different scenarios. At the end of the day, it's their business, and they've every right to run it as they see fit...

More info -

We are currently speaking with three web developers with a view to launching a brand new website in summer 2014.
Part of the job spec is to create a customer loyalty scheme whereby customers accumulate points each time they buy which can then be redeemed at a time that suits them.
You're absolutely right, the current discount scheme is poor, we know that and we're addressing it.
Thank you for your input.

I have no issues with the business reasoning behind this decision, I just think the handling of the communication was dreadful... they're effectively blaming people for using the discount code... bizarre.

This is worrying from many points but I am only going to highlight the fact that this implies a very small margin on which ES operate. That worries me as to how a company can still remain solvent based on these economic times.

I really wouldn't like to see less online shaving shops/companies. In fact, I'd prefer more of these. ES is a great place to shop as are many others.

This is Brian Mulreany, Sales Director at Executive Shaving, I use the user name Gerry (my middle name) to lurk - never to post.
The 10% discount code for The Shaving Room (TRS12) remains exactly as it is, it will not be discontinued until summer 2014 when our new website will hopefully be launched. We will at that time, replace the existing discounts system with a fairer method of rewarding our regular buyers. The facts are, we appreciate our regular buyers and want to encourage them to keep on using us as their number one choice for their shaving and grooming gear. Recently however, we have noticed that a lot of buyers using the yipee2010 discount code buy once only, we suspect that they have found this code by doing a Google search for 'executive shaving discount code'. We would rather reward our regulars with a 10% than one-off buyers. We have the widest online selection of safety razors in the world and we stock a wider range of shaving and grooming items than any other independent UK online shop. To maintain the stock levels we have and continue to service our customers as we do, we need to make every penny count or frankly we will not be around in the future to keep you guys supplied.
I am always available to talk on 0141 880 3040 or email me on brian@executive-shaving.co.uk if you want more info.
Trust me, our aim is expand the company, grow our customer base and maintain a good relationship with our customers.
Brian

It's a shame that the codes are stopping, however loyalty points work perfectly well on other shaving product sites so once Christmas is over it should be a case of business as normal.

Back
Top Bottom