Fatboy Fair Price

Thanks for your replies, I'm just contemplating whether to buy one or not, even if the plating is ok ish, I might consider getting it re plated

I paid £35 for one from bigduncan some time ago. Had it replated in gold for I think £30. I also have an original plating nickel one. Like having the two different coatings and doesn't look as 'bling' as I feared it might. In fact it looks the nuts!

Dave.B said:
Correct me if im wrong but im sure the fatboy was made between 58-61 63 would make it a slim adjustable that you would be after...

+ 1 Good Fatboy with some plate loss 40-60 usd, I would say, but it depends on the market at the time, as many has said. Less for a Slim though (only Gillette made that year, I think).

Here's what happened, I purchased what I thought was a Fatboy for £31 but it turned out to be a Slim built in 63, which wasn't a problem for me as it was in nice condition, I pointed this out to the seller and told them very politely I hasten to add about the mistake but not to worry just refund me £7 and I'll be happy,they said, no send it back and we'll give you a full refund, so I replied, how about a refund of £5? they replied the money has been refunded to your Paypal account we'll send you some extra for the postage. I replied I wish you had consulted me first about refunding the money as I was about to say too you,to save messing about lets just leave it as it is, I've paid £31 and I'm happy with it. Obviously there was a lot more conversation in these message exchanges, all very polite and cordial but I did learn about the history of where it was purchased and so on and also that I was dealing with an older couple but they wanted that Razor back at all cost, then it dawned on me, so I said to them I believe that your husband has a sentimental attachment to the razor, am I correct? they replied Yes he did and he wished he had never advertised it.
So the result was one very happy old couple who got their Razor back (I think he bought it on honeymoon) and one very happy TSR member for making an old couple very happy :icon_biggrin:

I'd have been happy with the slim as I believe they are just as good as a Fatboy, so I've been told, I was tempted to try it before I sent it back but I just couldn't bring myself to do so :angel: :icon_lol:

Mixed in there is a very moving story my good man,it just shows you that to some people an old razor is nothing more than old tat,
but to some,they are treasured items, and that is a very important lesson to remember when bidding for that elusive razor on eBay, touching story with a happy ending.

I think once they refunded me without telling me and they were sorry for the mistake I knew it meant something to him, but at least I've got first refusal should he decide to sell, they told me to keep some blades they sent as well, they were Gillette blue in a plastic case still sealed but I sent them back as well,most probably could have got £5 -£10 for them.

Back
Top Bottom