First and BEST gig EVER.

Hi lads,my first gig ever also happened to be my best,November the 6th (tuesday) 1973,Newcastle Odeon THE WHO,they did 3 nights, the first night Townshend smashed 1 Gibson SG and a Gibson Les Paul,the 3rd night he smashed another Gibson Les Paul,Moons drums were also demolished on these nights, sadly I saw them on the second night (no smashed gear):icon_mad: the amplification was on scaffolding on both sides of the stage and it went all the way up to the ceiling,I have NEVER heard a LOUDER rock band in my life,and I have seen ALL the big names including Led Zeppelin (1975) I have seen The Who 8 times over the years,just as recent as June this year,they are still an amazing band even though 2 of them are now sadly dead,and they are close to 70 years old.F*****G amazing.

Sam.

geordie sam said:
Hi lads,my first gig ever also happened to be my best,November the 6th (tuesday) 1973,Newcastle Odeon THE WHO,they did 3 nights, the first night Townshend smashed 1 Gibson SG and a Gibson Les Paul,the 3rd night he smashed another Gibson Les Paul,Moons drums were also demolished on these nights, sadly I saw them on the second night (no smashed gear):icon_mad: the amplification was on scaffolding on both sides of the stage and it went all the way up to the ceiling,I have NEVER heard a LOUDER rock band in my life,and I have seen ALL the big names including Led Zeppelin (1975) I have seen The Who 8 times over the years,just as recent as June this year,they are still an amazing band even though 2 of them are now sadly dead,and they are close to 70 years old.F*****G amazing.

Sam.

My experiences don't really match that, but here we go. My first concert was Sting in 1984 at the NEC not long after he had split from The Police. Three concerts are vying for the sobriquet of "best". Paul Weller at Finsbury in 1998, REM at NEC in 2007 (I think) and Mumford & Sons at NEC in Dec 2012. All superb for different reasons and I couldn't split them. Sorry

Jon

First gig was a band called 'Gun' at the Leadmill in Sheffield.

Best gig was either the Pixies at Sheffield City Hall (on their Trompe Le Monde tour) or PJ Harvey at the Octagon Centre.

First gig was adam and the ants at the glasgow apollo in about 82 or thereabouts. Best gig was probably qotsa on the songs for the deaf tour at the barrowlands or the prodigy on the fat of the land tour again at the barrowlands

First gig was Motorhead at the Victoria Hall in Hanley on 24th October 1980. I was 12, and it was stunning. As you can imagine, I'd never experienced anything like that before. The local paper did an article on my experience HERE.

The best gig (and there have been many good ones) was again at the Victoria Hall, and the band was Big Country, probably around 88 or 89. Everybody was really into it and were singing and bouncing around all night. I managed to catch Stuart Adamson's guitar pick (RIP Stuart). We went to The Albion for a pint, went back to the venue and the band came out and chatted to us and signed stuff. Just a wonderful evening.

Ian

my first proper gig (im not counting local ones) was either michael schenker group or kiss at newcastle city hall in 1982, they were around the same time and i cant remember which one was first. the best was between beck at leeds festival last night of his midnite vultures tour, and calexico at shepherds bush empire, both 2000.

First: Iron Maiden at the Apollo, Oxford, 1986 (aged 16).
Best? Hmm, difficult. Probably Brooklyn Funk Essentials at the Knitting Factory, Noo York, 1997. Their music wasn't my favorite, but the atmosphere from the enthusiastic crowd in that little old club was amazing.

Fleetwood Mac at The Cave Bars at Bournemouth. This would have been early 1968 , I think.
Very professional - two hours late and pass the amps over the packed audience's heads to the stage via side door and transit van.
Awsome gig
Line up - Peter Green - lead guitar/vocals
Jeremy Spencer - slide guitar/ vocals
John McVie- Bass
Mick Fleetwood- Drums
Rock Trivia:
Mac's deputy drummer was a very young Bournemouth lad called Carl Palmer, later of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. At one of the three Mac gigs I saw, Carl played alongside Mick Fleetwood on a second set of drums so they could cover some Cream numbers after the interval. Green, McVie and Fleetwood had been through John Mayal's Bluesbreakers, Clapton replaced Green and JMB made the Beano album before Clapton teamed up with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce to make - Cream

Best gig - Cream Reunion Gig 2007 Royal Albert Hall, some joker offered me £2,000 for my ticket.

I went to many at Eric's in Liverpool, John Cooper Clarke, The Specials, The Human League(before the girls joined) to name but a few but one of the best was Ultravox with John Foxx, before Midge joined.
Not to sure on the year but would have been 78 or 79.

Best Gigs in recent years was the IOW Festival, with Muse and Kasabian the stand out bands, and Muse at Old Trafford a couple of years ago.

Crossroads said:
Fleetwood Mac at The Cave Bars at Bournemouth. This would have been early 1968 , I think.
Very professional - two hours late and pass the amps over the packed audience's heads to the stage via side door and transit van.
Awsome gig
John McVie- Bass
Mick Fleetwood- Drums
Rock Trivia:
Mac's deputy drummer was a very young Bournemouth lad called Carl Palmer, later of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. At one of the three Mac gigs I saw, Carl played alongside Mick Fleetwood on a second set of drums so they could cover some Cream numbers after the interval. Green, McVie and Fleetwood had been through John Mayal's Bluesbreakers, Clapton replaced Green and JMB made the Beano album before Clapton teamed up with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce to make - Cream

Best gig - Cream Reunion Gig 2007 Royal Albert Hall, some joker offered me £2,000 for my ticket.

That would have been great....Peter Green is one of the best guitarists I have heard.

My first gig was the Stranglers at the spa at Bridlington. a good night from what I remember

fozz77 said:
Crossroads said:
Awsome gig
John McVie- Bass
Mick Fleetwood- Drums
Rock Trivia:

That would have been great....Peter Green is one of the best guitarists I have heard.

My first gig was the Stranglers at the spa at Bridlington. a good night from what I remember

Bit late to this post, but I saw Blodwyn Pig at the Cave, that would have been around the same time 1968. They were a great live band

Back
Top Bottom