First and BEST gig EVER.

First gig - when I was 11 I won tickets to 'The hitman roadshow' at the playhouse in Edinburgh featuring such talented heavyweights such as Big Fun and The London Boys and more importantly for an 11 year old boy - Kylie! Best gig has to be The Rolling Stones at Hampden in 2007 closely followed by Kings of Leon at Murrayfield 3 yrs ago.

Would like to see Killers live

I think (bit hazy on this) my first gig was Ozric Tentacles at Club Dog. Best gig is a toss up between Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason at Wembley Stadium or Hawkwind at Acid Daze Finsbury Park.

Who am I trying to kid? Hawkwind was the best ... and probably nothing on the planet will ever compare. I found a bootleg of it on Youtube recently and I was moved. :blush:

Chris.

Not really a gig, but Radiohead used to practise in our local village hall before they were Radiohead. Me and my mates would loiter around outside listening.

First gig probably average white band with squeeze as support.

Favourite was when Budgie came on blew up there amps after about 2 seconds, so Argent came on early and played for 3 hours, brilliant.

Best probably Queen at Maine Road in 1980's doing the kind of magic tour.

I had diarrhoea at wireless last year, came out of the porta-loo with stronger thigh muscles than when I went in, opened the door to a pretty girl holding her nose, had to use the line 'the guy before is a right asshole....left shit everywhere' snoop dog/lion/man was good though

First gig was RHCP at Slane. They were amazing and it was free, which was nice.

Best gig was, Toss up between Oxegen with The Who headlining or Foo Fighters again at Oxegen. Both brilliant in their own way and neither were bands I'd ever really has any real interest in.

Good times!

My first gig would have been at the original Marquee in Wardour Street about 1977 - band called 999 (the only 14 year old in a room full of bouncing punks... scary), but best gig ever...? Either Pink Floyd at Earls Court performing The Wall (it was the first night... 1979/80??) or Roger Waters's own band doing the same at the O2 a couple of years ago - which to be honest, was probably better.

Bubbling under PF for best ever gig is the diminutive wonder that is Prince; seen him many times, but Earls Court in 1992 was a stunner.

Having said that, in equal bubbling status would be the incomparable Frank Zappa - pick a gig, any gig... that man never disappointed (RIP Frank)

Motorhead's been mentioned a few times here & I've lost count of the number of times I've seen them - 1st time was Hammersmith Odeon 1978 supported by a very nervous Saxon (ironically the last time I saw them about 4 years ago was in Cambridge, supported by... Saxon)

Been good looking through this thread - in the 1970s/1980s I virtually lived at either Hammersmith Odeon, St Albans City Hall or The Marquee; halcyon days of heavy metal, progressive rock & cheap tickets...

First gig was Alien Sex Fiend in a tiny club in Cardiff around '86 or '87

The best was the whole of Glasto '00, 100,000 tickets sold and an estimated on site of 250,000 (which of course spoiled it for everybody else...who the f' "everybody else" is in this situation is not clear). I badly cut my knee climbing the fence on the Saturday morning, only to be told that 200 yards away a crusty had driven his bus through it and people were just walking in :icon_razz:

It was the first year of the dance tent (iirc) and the sound systems were allowed to go on until morning. I Just about remember the Chemical brothers and for some reason I'm convinced Pulp played, but having checked I just discovered David Bowie headlined! must have missed him for some reason :angel:

pjgh said:
Not that grubby little place by the train station?

I chuffin' love ASF! Loudest gig I've been to was ASF in Swansea (another grubby little place by the train station) - I couldn't hear for a week!

A Square Club sort of place?

aye

TBH I was never a huge fan of ASF, but an older friend's band had supported them on a German tour so they did a freebie for them at the local punk/shoe gazer/psycho billy club ("indie" having yet to be invented).

2 weeks later PWEI played to promote the Beaver Patrol album (first incarnation), which may well be my second favourite gig.

gazza said:
First gig was Alien Sex Fiend in a tiny club in Cardiff around '86 or '87

Alien Sex Fiend? Bloody Hell, that's a name from the past - a mate was a major fan & I went along to a gig in the late 80s early 90s; blisteringly loud, I hadn't a clue what the **** was going on onstage (but to be honest, I don't think Nik Fiend did, either) & they played for so long, the venue's management switched the PA off in the end just to get them off stage.

Still releasing music ...

... although the last couple of releases is starting to sound like The Cramps did in their later recordings. Great, but perhaps a little tired. If you want a big slab of modern Fiend, find a track called 'On a Mission' recorded at DracFest. What a noise! Like TG in parts!

Back
Top Bottom