Gillette Super Thin (Thai)

A while back I spotted someone (I think it might have been Teiste actually) on one of the shaving boards who was using these daily as part of his daily routine. This lead me to two thoughts - either it was all he could get or that they were worth a try. Some research lead me to eBay where for the princely sum of US$14 per 100 I had some shipped to me.

The first shave, I thought there were no whiskers being cut - there was no cutting noise at least - but whiskers were still ending up in the sink. Totally uneventful shave - but a totally awesome result. The next 5 (yes count them - five!) shaves were just as uneventful as the first - until right near the end of the last one when there was a bit of resistance. Still for a blade that cost so little, it gave me more shaves than any other blade I've tried to date.

Thinking it might be a "rogue" blade, I tried again - same story - 5 totally uneventful shaves and the last (sixth) one tugged a little on the last strokes of the last pass.

I commend them to anybody to try (you can get smaller quantities but pay more per blade of course).

Fido said:
Thai? Are these on Ebay right now from Hong Kong or Singapore?

I got mine from dridiot (he's on here and on eBay) - a gentleman to deal with both ways.

Definitely Thai (the distributor address on the packaging is P&G Thailand) - or there are Super Thin Platinums which are Vietnamese (which I've not tried because I'm told they're no different, yet slightly more pricey than the Thai ones)

I too can vouch for the great shaves these blades give. I have had 5 shaves from the current blade & it is good for number 6. I doubt it is a just a razor combo thing either as HM used Gillettes, I use a Merkur.

Interesting...are these blades noticeably thinner or more flexible than standard blades?
I also noticed there is a platinum coated version...has anyone tried that one too?

antdad said:
Interesting...are these blades noticeably thinner or more flexible than standard blades?
I also noticed there is a platinum coated version...has anyone tried that one too?

I think the Super Thin is just an old brand name that Gillette still uses in some countries.
Look at the different brand names at the bottom of this article.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bonseydesign.com/info_links/case.htm">http://bonseydesign.com/info_links/case.htm</a><!-- m -->

Thats what I was going to ask, are they all different blades that are still made by the same companies or is it the same blades repackaged into different locally known branding?

The article is not that clear but given the experiences of myself and other people here it seems there are differences in the blades although that may keep changing as Gillette shuts factories and switches production around the world. For instance the Silver Blues used to be Czech made but now made in St Petersburg and some say the blade has worsened as a result of this change.

This makes it harder to find a blade you like and know that you are getting the same blade again when you order more.

Well the word I have had from inside is that all of Gillette's DE production is (or is going to be - because it wasn't clear how far down the road the program was) rationalised to two locations worldwide - St. Petersburg for Europe, Africa and Asia and Manaus for the Americas - if you look at the packaging etc for the Astras, the Superthins - they're pretty much identical down to the placing of the glue dots on the blades.

What does appear change is the performance (and presumably the specification) of the blade.

I wonder how many of the Gillette blades are the same thing but in different boxes. I know that a few people who have tried the Iridiums say how close they are to the new Gillette Platinums and as you say the Super Thin platinum are the same as the Super Thin stainless.
If making a blade out of thinner stainless will make Gillette more money, then yes they probably are thinner. :lol:
Now I'm going to dig out my micrometer just to check.

Here's a little something that I think makes a nice 1000th post...

I got a digital microscope for my wee lad's birthday (they're doing all about creepy crawlies at school so a bigger than usual interest in small things in the house)... thinking if he doesn't want it, I do.

Attached are a pair of pictures at 10x and 60x of the edge of a Gillette Super Thin.

[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Attachments

• G-ST-10.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 359
  • G-ST-60.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 359
Finally got round to trying the super thin blade. These are great blades, really smooth and sharp (although they don't feel so when you are shaving).

I've got some of the super thin platinums as well, it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Back
Top Bottom