Gillette Super Thin (Thai)

Another great call from HM.
If there was only one DE blade in production, (steady the buffs) and it was this? I think I would be quite happy. There I've said it! Cathartic or what?

Regards

I've been trying the super thin platinums and I can't tell any difference to the normal super thins.
These are great blades, really smooth. I see Jason (dridiot) doesn't have these in 100s any more. :(

Pete

I was kindly sent a couple of these to try by Fido. I had been using a Red Personna previous to trying these and my first shave was somewhat raw, mostly because I did not remember my usual mantra New blade - Use Tabac (or other very protective soap). Also it was in an aggressive razor. Overall the first blade was a bit of a mixed bag, by the third shave my skin had calmed down a bit but I was not sure if these blades were for me or not.

I then used another one last week, this time the first shave I used Irisch Moos with a Merkur HD and plenty of prep. This gave a really good shave with only a little irritation, I don't think I have found the ideal razor for them yet but they are indeed good blades. I tried other less protective soaps after this and found them to be equally as good, perhaps that first shave was just a oddball or perhaps they are a little sharp first use, Feathers are the same for me, first shave is a bit raw but then they give excellent shaves.

In terms of sharpness I think these are on par with something like the Kai blades. Did we all get these from Jason? Meaning he has the Thai ones? I am not aware of anyone else selling them on this forum.

Thanks you very much for the chance to try these Fido, much appreciated.

Pete said:
I've been trying the super thin platinums and I can't tell any difference to the normal super thins.
These are great blades, really smooth. I see Jason (dridiot) doesn't have these in 100s any more. :(

Pete
The supply situation hasn't improved, as far as I can see.
I wonder if there are some production/distribution problems.
N.

Any opinions about the vietnamese version of these ? I use and like the Thai's ,was thinking of stocking up and cames across the vietnamese ones or should I wait until dridiot gets his stocks back ?
(I had a look on B&B but it left me none the wiser the usual YMMV).

Damian Murphy said:
Any opinions about the vietnamese version of these ? I use and like the Thai's ,was thinking of stocking up and cames across the vietnamese ones or should I wait until dridiot gets his stocks back ?
(I had a look on B&B but it left me none the wiser the usual YMMV).

I've tried both and think they are the same blade

Pete

Was kindly Piff’d a few of these by Fido (thank you) and have used one this week. Was pleasantly surprised to find it gave a smooth, comfortable consistent shave right through to the fifth shave (dont want to push it any further).

My blades of choice in order are.
1) Iridium Super
2) Yellow 7
3) Red Personna

I would put the Super Thins between the Iridiums and Yellows.

Shame there so bloody hard to get hold of in larger numbers.

On the bay

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-X-Gillette-Super-Thin-Rasierklingen-TOP_W0QQitemZ360167909930QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Beauty_Rasur_Rasur?hash=item53dbae2a2a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-X-Gillette-Su ... 53dbae2a2a</a><!-- m -->

RB73 said:
Shame there so bloody hard to get hold of in larger numbers.

As I understand it, a huge proportion of the Thai Super Thins we see in the West come via Singapore and they're experiencing difficulties with supply there. If you want something similar (if not the same) try the Vietnamese Super Thins (available on eBay, shipped from Vietnam - in fact the ones Tony has linked to)

Back
Top Bottom