Hair clippers

I have the Nicky Clarke ones in your photo. They are not bad - the one advantage is that they are cordless and you can use them in the shower!

I also have a pair of babyliss mains from Argos from years ago, they seem a lot more powerful and stronger. The one thing I found about the Nicky Clarke ones were the grades were one out. So what most other clippers would be a grade 2 would need a grade 1 on the Nicky Clarke.

When they go bang I'll most probably buy some pro Wahl ones - every barbers shop I go into (for the kids not me!) use them so they must be pretty good. Plus the savings you make from doing your one hair will be for the little bit extra for pro ones.

We've had 4 sets of clippers the 1st was Wahl and the 4th was the 5th will be too. The 2nd was Remmington and was OK and the the 3rd was Phillips and was given to us, I think it did 4 cuts before I replaced it as it was crap.

Wahl Super Taper Hair Clippers - £44 from Amazon inc delivery. Order placed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I lead a sheltered life - I'd never heard of Wahl. Thanks TSR! Another issue resolved. On to the next one - new flagpoles. But I don't need any help with that.

Flag poles. Best one I ever bought was from a Scrap Metal Yard! You can have them made to order from old cast iron water pipe! The weld the pieces together so they have a tapered look, and will even put a primer coat on them. Last forever.

If you go with the caste iron you can use it as for clothesline too. Patriotic and Energy Conserving too! Mine has ivy growing up it so it's Decorative too! (took four guys to stand her up!)

And that was 40yrs and one wife ago.

Thanks again for the advice. This arrived today - it won't have much of a challenge with my hair, but I look forward to its first outing.

Wahl.jpg

I'm now looking for a new set of clippers as my philips set is finally wearing out and a replacement cutting head is already half the price of a new unit.

I'd be interested to hear of any special offers you may know of at the moment, and recommendations for models to consider.

I trim the hair as short as possible with the clippers, using no guard, as I like to get it really close.

Don't need loads of attachments. Just want something solid which will last for decades. Mains powered as portability is not needed.

Over to you chaps.

Well you're right to go with something mains operated as cordless sets lack power, I'd go for something made by Wahl, and intended purely for barber shops rather than the home, maybe something like the Super Taper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Super-Taper-Hair-Clipper/dp/B000GI3V1G

Being a pro set with a heavier motor it will last you ten years plus. I bought a cheap (£20) home set about 4 years ago and it lasted a year thanks to a weak motor. I use mine a lot, maybe once every week or so.

(EDIT: I see the super taper were already recommended in this old thread, making me look like an old parrot!)

Back
Top Bottom