Have you found your best razor or are you still searching

I tried quite a few razors, including injectors, single edges, and modern (Pils, iKon, Tradere, Weber, etc.) and vintage (Gillette) double edges, and I finally concluded that for me, with the vintage blades that I use (primarily Wilkinson Light Brigades) and my style of shaving (deliberate, not rushed but not really leisurely either, 3 passes, using my off-hand to support the one holding the razor because of a slight tremor), the Feather AS-D2 is best for giving me close, smooth and comfortable shaves without nicks or irritation. I have one stock razor head and one cerakoted black, and I alternate them with a rotation of various custom handles from Delta Echo and Triad Razors, giving me a different appearance and feel in my hand each day.

I have tried many, but I have to say my favourite is the Gillette Heavy Tech. A close second would be the Gillette British Flare Tip Rocket. Either of these paired with an Astra SP or a Gillette Silver Blue.

I had to think about this thread for a while before declaring my verdict.
My favourite DE is razor is the Merkur 45 bakelite razor.
My favourite SE razor is my British made Ever-Ready 1912
My favourite injector razor is the Schick N3
My favourite straight is the one that used to belong to SWMBO's late father (I only have one straight :p)
If I could only keep one razor of each type those would be my choices, but I wouldn't be happy.
Amazingly those are some of the cheapest razors I've ever got. None of them cost more than 20 quid. I bought the 1912 for 8 quid at a local antiques market.
If I'd have to pick one of those as my only razor it would have to be the 1912, but I wouldn't be happy at all. I love variety.
The original question was if I found my best razor. Based on the above, the answer has to be NO.

With my Slim Adjustables, Fatboys, Standard Razors, Parker, 26C, Muhle R41, Mongoose, Aristocrats, and Schick injectors, my razor needs are fulfilled. All future purchases are just to satisfy a collector's urge, or, in some cases, just curiousity. Truthfully, I could exist with only my Slim Adjustable with some Astra SP blades and be quite happy shave-wise.
Of course, having said all that, I've got 5 more razors presently inbound from various retail & auction sites!!

I've been watching this thread for a while, and thinking about it. I have lots of favourites, but no single razor stood out, until this week.

I bought a Gem OCMM from @Fergiebilly and now that I'm using Connaught blades, I have realised that it's exceptional. To put this in context, I have several Wolfmen, several Mongeese, various ATTs, various slants, various SE razors, various vintage Gillettes.

There isn't even a close runner-up. If I had any sense, I'd sell everything, stop reading these forums, and be happy with my OCMM shaves. We all know that will never happen though, but it now seems utterly illogical :)

I've been watching this thread for a while, and thinking about it. I have lots of favourites, but no single razor stood out, until this week.

I bought a Gem OCMM from @Fergiebilly and now that I'm using Connaught blades, I have realised that it's exceptional. To put this in context, I have several Wolfmen, several Mongeese, various ATTs, various slants, various SE razors, various vintage Gillettes.

There isn't even a close runner-up. If I had any sense, I'd sell everything, stop reading these forums, and be happy with my OCMM shaves. We all know that will never happen though, but it now seems utterly illogical :)

If you do decide to sell your hardware Simon, I will enjoy the flurry of BST purchasing ... in particular the Wolfmen. :D

My current favourite DE would have to be the polished blackbird with a feather blade. I've been getting closer and more comfortable shaves with it than my S1 or Wolfman razors. Doesn't have the class or incredible finish of the wolfman but shaves a tad bit closer and smoother.

Back
Top Bottom