Have you found your best razor or are you still searching

Merkur 34c, no more searching or faffing around. And to think my late friend Ian told me to buy one of these first and instead I got a Superspeed then an EJ (which was admittedly my first choice for a while) and buggered off down the vintage Gillette rabbit hole for a while with a slight detour via a 1912 and a couple of Schicks. They may be as common as bums, not have an outlandish name or be backed by a hyped up kickstarter project and I couldn't care if they are made of Zamac, chrome-plated tampons or moulded crusty bat droppings, my 34c delivers every time and is so easy to use. I'm not ruling out trying a Progress at some point in the future and I may yet take the 'straight' leap but for now and the foreseeable, it's the 34c for me.

fatboy, aristocrat 46, gold black beauty, techs, new improved, haven't used my old type in a while.

Have a gem coming in the mail.

Its not what you think is bester overall, its whats best for the MOMENT>

I've narrowed it down to a few. That's better than expected really.

Blackland Blackbird, efficient and dangerous looking, a conversation starter for sure.

Cooper MonoBilt, a fairly rare American razor made in the early 1930's. A nice shaver, well constructed and over engineered.

Bigelow-Parkin, the razor design that inspired the Cooper Monobilt. A unique American design, and the smallest (full size DE blade using) razor. Also gives good shaves and is another fairly rare razor.

The Shake Sharps. An uncommon American razor, these use a DE blade in an SE style configuration. The first generation of these with the Bakelite frame are very aggressive. The second generation razors with a metal frame are very nice shavers indeed.

Gillette Fatboy. Doesn't give as nice a shave as the other razors, but it's a good looking razor. It combines balance and weight in a way that Gillette never quite achieved again (in my opinion).
Scratch the above. The British One-Piece Aristocrat tops all of them. Maybe not quite the same level of shaver as some of them, but it more than makes up for it in the looks department. It's got a nice hefty feel in the hand as well.

Back
Top Bottom