Hi all. I am new to safety razor shaving. In fact I had my first wet shave yesterday! OMG, brilliant, was my reaction. Yes I did nic myself the first time and im sure will do many more times, but i have now got the bug and there is no going back lol.
The reason I decided to go down the safety razor route was that I received a Ted Baker shaving mug and brush for Xmas. This made me think about upgrading my old Mach3. I thought that there must be a better option out there, I just fancied a change.
I started researching alternatives such as subscription services (Harrys, DSC and Cornerstone) and various other cartridge offerings. During my research I kept coming across the term safety razor, time and time again. This intrigued me and it wasn't long before I started looking into them. I was then astonished to see that the razor looked exactly like the one my father once used when I was younger. I thought this can't be right! Surely the technology of today has easily surpassed that of yesteryear. I then realised that some advances in technology are there for one reason and one reason only......Profit!!

So I decided to take the plunge and invest in a Merkur 34c razor with an alum rock and a sample pack of blades. After watching many YouTube videos on shaving creams etc I opted for Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and separately ordered some samples of Truefitt & Hill (I am still waiting for these). One thing led to another and I realised that the brush I got with the Ted Baker set probably wouldn't be up to much, so I started researching brushes. I have now (accidentaly or not ;)) ordered two new brushes, a razorock plissoft and a men-ü black pro (again I am awaiting delivery of these). Both of these brushes are synthetic and do not brake the bank at around £15 each Inc delivery.

Hook, line and sinker I hear you say!

Seriously though, any pointers, tips and general advice would be welcome ☺

Thanks for reading.
Gaz

Welcome along Gaz @GaryH :)

The best advice is - take your time getting used to the gear you've invested in. Resist the temptation to buy loads of other stuff - it is the road to ruination...:oops:

Good luck on your journey though!

Well I've just completed my 2nd shave:). A few more nics but nothing the Alum block couldn't handle! OMG that Alum burns!!! Is that normal? I apply next to no pressure on the blade and do 3 passes. Maybe its just that I am new to this and I need to learn the correct technique and also my skin needs to get used to the new razor.

Well I've just completed my 2nd shave:). A few more nics but nothing the Alum block couldn't handle! OMG that Alum burns!!! Is that normal? I apply next to no pressure on the blade and do 3 passes. Maybe its just that I am new to this and I need to learn the correct technique and also my skin needs to get used to the new razor.
Hi @GaryH
here's a little light reading, re: Alum blocks and their usage. :)
Also, I would suggest that for the first few weeks or so, you don't do a full three pass shave, but limit yourself to a two pass shave, as your skin needs to get used to being shaved so closely and invariably there will be some irritation.

Get yourself some sample blades and try a few shaves with each one in turn, so you can decide which blades suits your face and your razor body the best. It's all about trial and error, so expect it to take a little while, before you find your sweet spot. :)

Hi @GaryH
here's a little light reading, re: Alum blocks and their usage. :)
Also, I would suggest that for the first few weeks or so, you don't do a full three pass shave, but limit yourself to a two pass shave, as your skin needs to get used to being shaved so closely and invariably there will be some irritation.

Get yourself some sample blades and try a few shaves with each one in turn, so you can decide which blades suits your face and your razor body the best. It's all about trial and error, so expect it to take a little while, before you find your sweet spot. :)

Thanks for the advice and the link. I guess its the anti bacterial properties that make it sting. I have a sample pack of blades already, but I am initially using the blade that came with the Merkur. The blades I have are 10 Unbranded, 10 Derby ad 10 Feather. From what I gather the feather blades are probably going to do me some damage so I will avoid using them for a month or two. Can you suggest some other blades that may be worth a try?

@GaryH - Just to add to the above advice in my previous post - Try if possible to shave every other day for a week or so. That's what I've done since I got my Parker 65R, last Saturday and I find that resting the skin for a day or so between shaves helps to ease any soreness or irritation from the previous shave and allows nicks to heal :)

Thanks for the advice and the link. I guess its the anti bacterial properties that make it sting. I have a sample pack of blades already, but I am initially using the blade that came with the Merkur. The blades I have are 10 Unbranded, 10 Derby ad 10 Feather. From what I gather the feather blades are probably going to do me some damage so I will avoid using them for a month or two. Can you suggest some other blades that may be worth a try?
Hi again :)
I'm no expert on blades, by any means, as I've only been using my Parker 65R for a week, but what I have personally found in that time, is that the Derby blades, for me, at least, tend to be a little on the tuggy side, so I had a shave with some Boots own-brand blades (10 pk @ £2.49) and they were night and day different quality. :) YMMV

Hi again :)
I'm no expert on blades, by any means, as I've only been using my Parker 65R for a week, but what I have personally found in that time, is that the Derby blades, for me, at least, tend to be a little on the tuggy side, so I had a shave with some Boots own-brand blades (10 pk @ £2.49) and they were night and day different quality. :) YMMV

Thanks for that. It seems we are both newbies to wet shaving lol. I have found this site that allows you to pick and choose 2 blades from a variety of suppliers. https://www.bobbyshave.com/collecti.../build-your-own-sample-pack?variant=865642347

Back
Top Bottom