I'm also fairly new here... 3 weeks into using a DE (why did I think it was four), which means I'm only a little ahead of the curve of either you, @GaryH or you @Rottie and I'm thoroughly immersed within the start of the journey.
This forum's friendly and wise * members have been a font of advice and the forum is a veritable archive of lore.
I think you'll be very happy here.

wise: * there is worrying propensity for obsessive acquisition relating to all things shaving. This appears to be virulent.

Sounds like you found this forum at the perfect time and that you are starting off with a good range of products. I agree with @Nico1970, take some time with the products you have right now before moving onto others. Welcome!!

Another couple of tips for you, @GaryH - Don't skimp on the prep stages, pre-shave :)
What I do to prep is I fill my sink with hot water, then leave a flannel, my shaving bowl and my razor in the water for a few minutes, then I put the clean, hot flannel on my face and leave it on there for a couple of minutes, before mixing the lather in my shaving bowl and begining my shave :)

Another tip is to make sure you moisturise your skin with a post shave balm, like this to replace some of that lost moisture, especially after using the Alum block. :eek:

Another couple of tips for you, @GaryH - Don't skimp on the prep stages, pre-shave :)
What I do to prep is I fill my sink with hot water, then leave a flannel, my shaving bowl and my razor in the water for a few minutes, then I put the clean, hot flannel on my face and leave it on there for a couple of minutes, before mixing the lather in my shaving bowl and begining my shave :)

Another tip is to make sure you moisturise your skin with a post shave balm, like this to replace some of that lost moisture, especially after using the Alum block. :eek:

Thanks for this advice. The shaving kit I received for Xmas included a brush, mug, pre-shave scrub, shaving gel and post shave balm. My pre-shave prep is soak brush and razor in sink while I take a shower, use the scrub, lather and shave and then use the alum and balm. I am certain that there are better products out there but feel obligated to use it as it was a gift. I don't use the gel as I don't think it is designed for wet shaving. I use TOBS Sandalwood cream instead.

Thanks for this advice. The shaving kit I received for Xmas included a brush, mug, pre-shave scrub, shaving gel and post shave balm. My pre-shave prep is soak brush and razor in sink while I take a shower, use the scrub, lather and shave and then use the alum and balm. I am certain that there are better products out there but feel obligated to use it as it was a gift. I don't use the gel as I don't think it is designed for wet shaving. I use TOBS Sandalwood cream instead.
If you want a very good shaving soap to try, Morrisons are doing Palmolive shaving sticks for 25p :) Absolute bargain price and a widely liked soap :)

TOBS, T&H and a Razorock synthetic brush, are you sure your a beginner ;)

I think you have hit a sweet spot with your start up set.

My advice? Take your time, enjoy the journey and don't feel the need to splash the cash just yet you're off to a great start.

Welcome aboard.

Gaz,
Welcome to TSR. Straight in with full blown addiction, excellent! Saves time, immediately down the rabbit hole. You're setting out with some good gear.

All sound advice above. Get to know the direction of your beard growth, it's different for all of us. You didn't mention in which direction you're making your shave passes but I'd advise against going against the grain (ATG) until your skin is more used to it. Take your time with each shave (it's not a race), work on improving your technique with the gear you have and don't get disheartened by the occasional setback.

Good move to leave the gel alone, in my experience they actually dry the skin. In addition to Palmolive - well regarded - I also recommend Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream (I know, I thought the same initially). You hardly need to use any, so should last for years, it lathers like a demon and at £8.00 for a 200ml pot is an absolute bargain.

You're starting a lifelong, fascinating journey. Enjoy!

Regards,
Chris

Gaz,
Get to know the direction of your beard growth, it's different for all of us. You didn't mention in which direction you're making your shave passes but I'd advise against going against the grain (ATG) until your skin is more used to it. Take your time with each shave (it's not a race), work on improving your technique with the gear you have and don't get disheartened by the occasional setback.

Good move to leave the gel alone, in my experience they actually dry the skin. In addition to Palmolive - well regarded - I also recommend Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream (I know, I thought the same initially). You hardly need to use any, so should last for years, it lathers like a demon and at £8.00 for a 200ml pot is an absolute bargain.

You're starting a lifelong, fascinating journey. Enjoy!

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I have shaved with the grain and across both ways as viewed on "Nick Shaves" on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5euWQtQNAKmUtZlI2dhvuYP4iEDkAOq4
He has a series of 16 videos for beginners which I found really useful when doing the research.

Thanks for the advice re the creams. It looks like I will be spending some time in the local shops shortly lol:);).

You really don't need to use alum on your face. A much milder astringent is witch hazel - it performs much the same function as alum without the burn. If you get nicks and need something to stop the blood flow then have a styptic pencil available - this is much the same as alum.

I find a splash aftershave also helps and certainly use a balm if you need one. I've tried using balm first then A/S and vice versa - I tend to go with balm last nowadays but that could change next week. Just find what suits you.

Gary,
I think you mean a lot of time in local shops. Although I've been disappointed with the lack of DE shaving supplies in the local shops in this area, frankly.

Youtube vidoes from Mantic59 and The Sharpologist web site are also good for tuition, reviews and advice but it sounds like you've made a good start on your own.

Regards,
Chris

By the way - if you need 16 videos to learn how to shave, you may need to reconsider. It's a pretty basic function involving a brush lather and sharp blade - don't overthink it.

By the way - if you need 16 videos to learn how to shave, you may need to reconsider. It's a pretty basic function involving a brush lather and sharp blade - don't overthink it.

They are all pretty short videos lol. I just found them useful when doing the research. I have watched Mantic and the sharpologist as well along with many many others. I am, quite frankly You Tubed out!! Time for a shave me thinks;)

Back
Top Bottom