Well I have just had my 4th shave. According to advice I changed the original Merkur blade out after the 3rd shave and replaced it with a Derby. I also used wilkinson sword shaving soap for the first time. All I can say is the Derby cut me to ribbons!! I literally had blood running down my chest from about 10 nics all over my face :confused:. I didn't feel them though and the end result, after the blood transfusion, was almost BBS. I found it quite hard getting the soap to lather though and didn't end up getting a great lather. I tried both brushes, bowl and face lather but it just wasn't up to the TOBS. Loved the scent though, reminded me of my Dad.

Onwards and upwards as they say. I will try with the TOBS tomorrow and report back.

Well I have just had my 4th shave. According to advice I changed the original Merkur blade out after the 3rd shave and replaced it with a Derby. I also used wilkinson sword shaving soap for the first time. All I can say is the Derby cut me to ribbons!! I literally had blood running down my chest from about 10 nics all over my face :confused:. I didn't feel them though and the end result, after the blood transfusion, was almost BBS. I found it quite hard getting the soap to lather though and didn't end up getting a great lather. I tried both brushes, bowl and face lather but it just wasn't up to the TOBS. Loved the scent though, reminded me of my Dad.

Onwards and upwards as they say. I will try with the TOBS tomorrow and report back.
Dude, ditch the Derby's - They're only useful as letter openers :p Get yourself down to Boots and pick up a pack of their DE blades, you will thank me for it. :) :)

Ouch.
I think there is a rule of thumb that says that as our technique improves, that which didn't work out well may well behave sweetly.
This might not apply to Derby blades.

Oh. Could you be using too much pressure (I think shaper blades have smaller tolerances, although I'm really just reiterating what I think I've learnt)

Thanks, I went to boots today but couldn't find their blades. Bought the Wilkinson and boots own brand soaps though.
I had no luck with that one in the ti
I don't apply any pressure at all. I just rest the head against the skin and let it do the work. Is this wrong?
No pressure sounds about right, but honestly its just time and getting a few shaves under your belt. I found I could watch as many videos as I wanted, and read as much stuff as ever, but things just naturally improved with time and practice. I would stick with the tobs cream for a while longer, it'll be easy to lather and that takes away something to worry about. Give it a month or so and you'll find what works for you dw :)

I don't apply any pressure at all. I just rest the head against the skin and let it do the work. Is this wrong?
Nope - I reckon that's correct.

My biggest `holding the razor` mistake has been the gently continuing the glide when I've met resistance, rather than backing off. Once I got over that tendency, I've had very few nicks (remember my sample size is low).

My biggest challenge has been creating good lather.. Still working on that one but achieving greater consistency and I've learnt that it's kinder on me to start again or add more cream rather than push through with watery or dry lather... Warm bowel means warm lather (nicer) and I've taken to leaving it in a small amount of hot water in the sink and rinsing the razor in the water to the side of the bowel (a grossly oversized "Wallace and Grommet" tea cup)

My biggest gain has been devoting time to working the lather into my stubble.

Apart from moving away from my starting blade (Derby) after a week or so and then loading a 7 o'clock sharp blade today, I've kept the kit the same throughout so I could gauge the technique variables (although it's been oh-so-tempting to experiment).

My biggest challenge has been creating good lather.. Still working on that one but achieving greater consistency and I've learnt that it's kinder on me to start again or add more cream rather than push through with watery or dry lather... Warm bowel means warm lather (nicer) and I've taken to leaving it in a small amount of hot water in the sink and rinsing the razor in the water to the side of the bowel (a grossly oversized "Wallace and Grommet" tea cup)

ROFLMAO:D:D:D:D Love the Wallace and Gromit shaving bowl. Brilliant!!!

On the subject of shaving bowls, I am trying to find something akin to this . The Captains Choice lathering bowl. Any ideas? The one thing that really annoys me about lathering is the incessant clinking on the side of the mug I currently use. Drives me nuts:mad::mad:. I know you can face lather but I want a decent bowl to finish of my shaving kit and one that is actually a pleasure to use.

I've no personal experience of it but from what I've read on this and other forums, if it's Wilkinson Sword shaving soap in the blue bowl it's awful stuff, only fit for the bin. The bowl's worth keeping for other soaps though.

Derby blades aren't for everyone, I'd try another brand. Hope it works out for you.

Regards,
Chris

Gaz - I have a selection (10 or so) of DE blades I can post out to you if you like which should get you started. PM me your address and I'll get them in the post this week [emoji4]

Thanks for the offer but I received a selection of blades this morning in the post. I will try them out first but will bear your offer in mind if I don't find one that suits☺

Back
Top Bottom