Injectors low down

Just received a nice minty I1 with white handle from the US. I'm looking forward to trying it out in the morning with one of these "chicks" (Chinese Schick blades). Really enjoying this bunch of little toys which are cheap as chips yet each type gives a different, but still smooth, shave. Would like to work my way through the alphabet with them, from type A to O, but the repeaters (A,B &C) are in short supply.

I like that - 'chicks'. I guess if you crossed a Fasan with a Rotbart you'd end up with a Fart.

I find the chicks give me two great shaves then die.

NNathwani said:
Got my schick L the other day....

Shaved with this last night (first injector shave) and its definitely on the mild side but got a great shave with it. Really difficult to yourself damage with this and a nice change from the DE. I've heard it been described as a cross between a DE and a straight but I would say it's like a cross between a DE and a cartridge razor.

Thanks for that - Courtesy of a very nice fellow member here, I have an L on the way; looking forward to receiving, could be an interesting change of pace.

OK I'm being dim again now & I'm sure I could look it up, but how old would an L be??

Leslie145 said:
NNathwani said:
Got my schick L the other day....

Shaved with this last night (first injector shave) and its definitely on the mild side but got a great shave with it. Really difficult to yourself damage with this and a nice change from the DE. I've heard it been described as a cross between a DE and a straight but I would say it's like a cross between a DE and a cartridge razor.

Thanks for that - Courtesy of a very nice fellow member here, I have an L on the way; looking forward to receiving, could be an interesting change of pace.

OK I'm being dim again now & I'm sure I could look it up, but how old would an L be??
According to the info in the link in post 12 it's 1965-1980.

Greetings

I am a big fan of Injectors and have three PALS and several Schicks. The only minor point I would disagree with (and it is purely a matter of personal taste) is that I find the G Models delightful easy to use shavers not fierce like the previous E models.

My favourite two models are the G's and the I's, again we all have different tastes and I like shortish handles on my razors I own a J3 Golden 500 I love the shave it gives but the handle is just a trifle shorter than a yard broom.

The I models, J's and K's all have exactly the same head geometry, the only difference between all of them are the handles they have and of course some have the Hydro- Magic facility for easy blade cleaning but the head geometry remains the same, so even though the K models look very 'girly' they shave the same as the I's and J's.

There is a noticeable drop in aggressiveness with the next model, the L, but they are still jolly good shavers.

The M Adjustable models (there are at least three perhaps four) slight variants of this model offer every aggression level by moving the safety bar downwards and upwards nearer and further from the blades edge thus altering the blade gap. The PAL adjustable does not do this, the blade gap remains the same and the adjuster moves the safety bar in and out altering the distance between the blades edge and the safety bar,in other words the blades protrusion, this is (IMHO) not such an effective method but they shave well enough.

From a collectors point of view (which I am not) the F types fetch a lot of money as they were only made for a year and thus they are few and far between. The scissor type D are again very collectable and sell for substantial sums. The early models which were the proper magazine razors fetch a lot of money as well but generally they need to be loaded manually with one blade as the blades were sold ready loaded into the magazine.

From a practical shaving viewpoint you will do well with any model from the G onward, this is just my opinion some folk like the more aggressive nature of the E's for me they are a bit 'scrapey'

The PALS do feel different although when you look at the heads they seem just like the Schicks, IMHO they deliver a slightly more aggressive shave and are a bit more angle sensitive but they shave well.

As for blades I have been lucky enough to try several vintage ones courtesy of an extremely kind member here and what have been with razors I have purchased but I can honestly say that the Personna Stainless Coated blades (sold only by Connaught in Britain) are my favourite ones. They are plenty sharp enough and last me for about six or seven shaves. Some vintage blades are sharper for sure but less smooth and forgiving.

Regards
Dick.

Agree with Dick in that the G Type is a fair bit milder than the Es or Is. I tried a NOS Schick blade (made in USA) this morning but it was fairly rough and after the first pass I switched to a Personna, which I find to be excellent. I only have one Pal injector at the moment but find it on the mild side, a bit like a Schick L. Would love to try an F type, but as Dick says, there aren't many about.

Hiya,

Good post, Dick,

Interesting to hear about you preferring some currently made blades over any others and the Major seems to like em also. You're right about using blades only as sharp as you need em to be. Good to have a few decent easy to find options.

Maybe 20 different injector blades have found their way over my face through the years and I culled a couple that worked well for me, and a few more better than that. I am still trying any injector blade I happen upon and just added a twinjector Gillette blade to the rotation. The right one will definitely add to the shave experience.

I have two Ls (I think) but the embossed logos are slightly different. Also, one sounds like it's loose with no blade in. Would it be ok to put up some pics so someone more knowledgable could help me out?

Bluebriz said:
I have two Ls Would it be ok to put up some pics so someone more knowledgable could help me out?

Fine with me. There's probably other people who have had that issue and maybe some fix is available.

Ok,
So here are some pics.
First pic shows them side by side, and at first glance they look the same.

[attachment=8257]

In the next pic I've flipped them so you can see the Schick logos are a little different and the left one has a little triangle on it.

[attachment=8258]

On the undersides of the heads the patent information is a little different on each.

[attachment=8259]
[attachment=8260]

And this is the one (the razor on the left from earlier) where the blade holder part feels loose, but with a blade in it felt fine. I haven't shaved with either razor (yet) though!

[attachment=8261]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523722.773730.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523722.773730.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523781.804150.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523781.804150.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523882.770373.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523882.770373.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 42
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523895.121070.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523895.121070.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 41
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523982.553456.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376523982.553456.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 37
Have a significant other?? Blade them both up and see how they work on leg hair. If no problema... Then you've got 2 good razors to use.

Johnus said:
Have a significant other?? Blade them both up and see how they work on leg hair. If no problema... Then you've got 2 good razors to use.

She's scared of all my razors, mostly calls them knives! I'm willing to put myself in harm's way, but enjoyed a great shave with a type G tonight so it won't be just yet. I have 6 injectors of various kinds plus a NOS of something I've never used so I don't mind waiting!

Any idea about the different logos and patent numbers though? They still both appear to be the same kind of razor, just wondering about the differences.

This probably one for Martin or someone from over the pond. I have just purchased a sealed pack of injector blades distributed by Consumer Value Stores (Div of Melville Corp, Woonsocket). I am guessing they are generic blades but made by who ? And are they any good ?

missingskin said:
This probably one for Martin or someone from over the pond. I have just purchased a sealed pack of injector blades distributed by Consumer Value Stores (Div of Melville Corp, Woonsocket). I am guessing they are generic blades but made by who ? And are they any good ?

Greetings

I'm just an old boy from Norfolk (this Norfolk) and what I now state is mainly as a result of what I have read.

With injector blades there are not very many choices of manufacture ie Schick which are now made in China, Personna/GEM which is now all the same company and made in the USA, PAL which I think are also now owned by GEM/Personna and Dorco from South Korea. I believe nobody else are making injector blades.

Pal injector blades are widely used in Lab work for tissue slicing but are not rated highly for shaving, The Personna PTFE coated blade we all know and are the only ones available here in the UK from Paul at Connaught's. That leaves the Dorco's I do know they manufacture Injector blades for USA chains as indeed they do with standard SE blades. I have tried the SE blades and they are crap just like their DE blades but I have never tried any injector blades made by them. The Dorco SE blades say Made in South Korea on the packet.

I strongly suspect they will be Dorco or PAL, perhaps as you say Martin knows.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom