Is There A Risk Of Sepsis?

If you are concerned you could store your razor elsewhere and only take into the bathroom to shave.

That's exactly what I do, all my shaving gear sits atop my dresser... This also protects from the high moisture environment of the bathroom.

Atomised fecal matter is an issue in every bathroom, unless everyone in the household agrees never to flush until the pan lid is firmly down. Now you have brought it to mind it does put one off buying second hand items a little, I currently use isopropyl which to my (limited) knowledge is superior to barbicide but still...

Is there a risk of sepsis wet shaving?

I take the de blade out of the razor between shaves, to rinse off and dry.

Yesterday when I went into the bathroom to shave, there was a fly sitting on the razor blade and this got me thinking.

Also, our toilet is in the same bathroom, so goodness knows what's floating around in the air in the bathroom.

What are your thoughts?

Brian.
The modern neurosis about germs is down to advertising agencies trying to sell more and more products.
The truth is for us to have a strong defence system we have to come into contact with some germs (which we do everyday) to build up antibodies.
Here and Here
Good hygiene is very important but being neurotic about it may be counterproductive.

Last edited:
I have been DE shaving for about 5 years.

My razor is kept in the bathroom and the only time the blade is taken out of the razor is when I replace it.

I'm not dead yet.

I have never understood the point of taking out a blade and drying it.

Even with AC SE blades where I can easily get a more than a month of shaves from a blade (I shave 3 times a week) the blade stays in the razor.

Too much faff to clean it after each shave, but each to their own.

I ask because I used to be made from cast iron, now it's more like cotton wool. With age I seem to get more ill effects.
I have just come out of hospital having a kidney infection, caused by a kidney stone and they thought I might have blood poisoning. It was the moving of the stone making cuts inside. If you want to know pain, that was pain and it just would not go.
Which is when I thought, I cut myself all the time when shaving and wonder if I should take more proportions with the blades, between shaves?

Brian.

Sorry to hear, I'm also a former... The pain oh my goodness! After my first, the Doctor told me I'd come the closest a man can to experiencing child birth :D

If you're feeling neurotic about it nothing we can say will change that. For the last six years I've been DE shaving my razor has lived in the bathroom and the only time the blade comes out is when I'm changing it. After use it gets rinsed under the tap and left to dry for the next time.

Look at it this way, your razor spends its working life in warm soapy water, how dirty can it get?

Personally I think you're worrying over nothing, but if it'll make you feel better get some Barbicide and use that before every shave. It's hospital-grade so you can't get much better.

I too store all of my shaving gear in another room other than the bathroom, not because of any other reason other than space and moisture. As far as germs are concerned I think sensible precautions would keep you from getting anything nasty in your body, but I don't think we need to be as careful as Sheldon Cooper :D
You're at greater risk just catching the tube in London...:eek:

The Big Bang Theory, an American sitcom. Sheldon Cooper played by actor Jim Parsons. Sheldon has many problems including OCD and he is ultra clean, he even wears bus pants ( trousers ) when he uses public transport so his normal trousers don't get contaminated! He keeps his toothbrush under a uv light in the bathroom ect
Very funny, worth a watch if you've not seen before :).

Ah I see! American sitcom, like Friends then? (Showing how out of touch I am here!) Sheldon sounds like a Chandler, only exaggerated and amplified for generation Z.

I've not owned a telly for going on 5 years now and actively try to avoid to popular culture so I'll not seek it out but thanks for explaining.

I ask because I used to be made from cast iron, now it's more like cotton wool. With age I seem to get more ill effects.
I have just come out of hospital having a kidney infection, caused by a kidney stone and they thought I might have blood poisoning. It was the moving of the stone making cuts inside. If you want to know pain, that was pain and it just would not go.
Which is when I thought, I cut myself all the time when shaving and wonder if I should take more procortions with the blades, between shaves?

Brian.
I have had four kidney stones pass through this year. My ex said it's worse than labour, and is the only thing that makes me cry apart from Shadowlands, Beaches, Terms of Endearment :) ...

Reactions: BJS
I can't see how using a de razor is anymore prone to sepsis than back when some of us where using carts. Cartridges tend to catch stubble between blades and I was always thwacking the blades on the sink to remove stubble during strokes. I think back then most of use saw shaving as chore and as such probably extended blade life, I usually toss my blade after three, whilst the carts saw much longer use. I keep my daily razor upright on a stand, and not lying around on the sink or in the cabinet, unlike the cart days. i think the whole ritual of wetshaving is very 'hygienic' as it promotes good pre and post shave care.

Nope, not at all. the fear of infection is driven by capitalism. put a doubt in someones head and then sell them the solution.
This antibacterial soaps and dish washing liquid obsession is going to end in tears. resistant bacteria anyone.
Me, I regularly lick the kitchen floor for the real world inoculation shot

Back
Top Bottom