Is There A Risk Of Sepsis?

I've just read this post and had to laugh...Let's get this in perspective. There is a chance of food poisoning every time you eat out, there is a chance of being hit by a bus every time you cross a road, there is a chance of crashing every time you get on a plane, There is a chance of a multi car pile up every time you drive on a motorway, in fact there is a chance of dying every single day. Sepsis from a fly on your razor is the very least of your troubles, if you worry about that kind of thing then there is no hope for you and you may as well end it all now.

I ask because I used to be made from cast iron, now it's more like cotton wool. With age I seem to get more ill effects.
I have just come out of hospital having a kidney infection, caused by a kidney stone and they thought I might have blood poisoning. It was the moving of the stone making cuts inside. If you want to know pain, that was pain and it just would not go.
Which is when I thought, I cut myself all the time when shaving and wonder if I should take more procortions with the blades, between shaves?

Brian.
Take your razor apart and clean and dry it well together with the blade every time. Make sure you clean all surfaces because you may have blood on it. Let your soap air dry. Rinse / wash your brush well after use and let it dry on a well ventilated space. It is best to store your razor away from damp areas. From time to time oil moving parts with camelia oil. For stainless razors give the razor a light coating if not in use.

Look after your tools and they will look after you. Stainless is only stain resistant. Chrome can deteriorate if not maintained.

Why would you put a dirty instrument with which you might draw blood to your face? It amazes that people talk about heirlooms to hand down but do not care for these expensive precision instruments each time they use them.

You are right to be concerned. It's not paranoia about germs. You are using a cutting instrument against your skin. You should treat it with respect and use proper hygeine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've just read this post and had to laugh...Let's get this in perspective. There is a chance of food poisoning every time you eat out, there is a chance of being hit by a bus every time you cross a road, there is a chance of crashing every time you get on a plane, There is a chance of a multi car pile up every time you drive on a motorway, in fact there is a chance of dying every single day. Sepsis from a fly on your razor is the very least of your troubles, if you worry about that kind of thing then there is no hope for you and you may as well end it all now.

Very much my take on the subject.

Don't also forget, you cut, you bleed, bleeding out would wash the germs, fly crap or what ever out. You would also wipe off a cut, getting a bit of alcohol in a after shave or edt also would kill any germs.

That said my great uncle died from Sepsis through a cut with a straight after visiting a barber shop. But, in context, around 1930, and relatively poor and probably a barber not in the best end of town. No doubt the hygiene rules, regs, etc mattered as they do today.

Take your razor apart and clean and dry it well together with the blade every time. Make sure you clean all surfaces because you may have blood on it. Let your soap air dry. Rinse / wash your brush well after use and let it dry on a well ventilated space. It is best to store your razor away from damp areas. From time to time oil moving parts with camelia oil. For stainless razors give the razor a light coating if not in use.

Look after your tools and they will look after you. Stainless is only stain resistant. Chrome can deteriorate if not maintained.

Why would you put a dirty instrument with which you might draw blood to your face? It amazes that people talk about heirlooms to hand down but do not care for these expensive precision instruments each time they use them.

You are right to be concerned. It's not paranoia about germs. You are using a cutting instrument against your skin. You should treat it with respect and use proper hygeine.

If it was absolutely necessary to take out a blade and clean it after every shave to avoid infection, then why are there not more deaths of people who use disposable razors?

Particularly in the developing countries where hygiene is perhaps not the greatest?

I mean no disrespect, but I'm frankly shocked by the responses to this thread.

I have no qualms about dirt, or eating out or travelling on public transport. I fully subscribe to the adage "A speck of dirt never hurt." But using a door handle or travelling on public transport, or even going to the toilet in a public lavatory is a far cry from applying a sharp blade to your skin with the chance of drawing blood, at minimum cutting a hair which will retract into your skin.

In a medical situation, you always use a sterilised instrument , a new sealed blade, a clean field area. If I use contact lenses I am advised that to ensure all surfaces are clean my hands are washed well and dry.

I'm not saying anyone is at risk of death but try to avoid skin infection and problems.

Those of you taking a relaxed attitude to hygeine, I would urge you to reconsider your choices when shaving. I mean no offence by my comments. This is meant in a generous spirit towards my fellow forum members, and out of concern for their well-being.

Reactions: BJS
Hygiene isn't the greatest in the western world either. You may wash your hands after using the loo, did the bloke who used the loo door handle before you? Did the bloke in the pizza shop wash his hands after using the loo or picking his nose or scratching his butt? Fancy a peanut or crisp on the bar? did the last person with their hands in there wash their hands. How dirty is the average steering wheel or office phone or that pen you used in the bank? Dirt and germs are everywhere we just have to live with them I'm afraid.

I rinse my razors under hot water (blade in) after use, towel dry, hang them in the bathroom. I've done this for the best part of 45 years with carts, disposables, DE and SE razors and I'm still alive. Besides, if by any miniscule chance there's any blood left on the blade after washing it's my blood so I'm not really going to infect myself. If folk want to be meticulously clean with their equipment then that's absolutely fine, especially if there is an underlying medical issue, OCD, whatever but for me personally I find it all a bit unecessary.

If it was absolutely necessary to take out a blade and clean it after every shave to avoid infection, then why are there not more deaths of people who use disposable razors?

Particularly in the developing countries where hygiene is perhaps not the greatest?
There is a correlation between when you clean blood from a razor and the risk of transmission.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._HIV_disease_transmission_risk_in_barber_shop

In a public context a lot of regulation has been put in place to reflect this over the last 30 years. I am not saying anyone here is going to infect themselves with a serious disease, just urge you all to clean your razors soon after using them.

Hygiene isn't the greatest in the western world either. You may wash your hands after using the loo, did the bloke who used the loo door handle before you? Did the bloke in the pizza shop wash his hands after using the loo or picking his nose or scratching his butt? Fancy a peanut or crisp on the bar? did the last person with their hands in there wash their hands. How dirty is the average steering wheel or office phone or that pen you used in the bank? Dirt and germs are everywhere we just have to live with them I'm afraid.

Exactly what I say when I see the state of nail bitters hands or someone chewing on a finger nail.

I rinse my razors under hot water (blade in) after use, towel dry, hang them in the bathroom. I've done this for the best part of 45 years with carts, disposables, DE and SE razors and I'm still alive. Besides, if by any miniscule chance there's any blood left on the blade after washing it's my blood so I'm not really going to infect myself. If folk want to be meticulously clean with their equipment then that's absolutely fine, especially if there is an underlying medical issue, OCD, whatever but for me personally I find it all a bit unecessary.

Agree completely.

If I buy a razor second hand or sell one it gets cleaned in antibacterial soap and boiling water, but my daily routine is the same as the above.

For the paranoiacs amongst us, if you really want to get your razor clean no less then two hours in an industrial blast furnace should do it. ;)

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a sterile blade. Even new from the packet. Clean, yes. Sterile, no.

Therefore if I wash both razor and blade properly and leave them to dry (bacteria like water and in fact need it), I am pretty much returning the blade to its original state of cleanliness.

Good prep and technique prevents cuts etc and alcohol based products or alum treats them if they occur.

On the basis of this I'm not going to lose any sleep

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom