Late to the party as ever... Fountain Pens

I'd noticed that my handwriting had gone past the "doctor" stage to be completely illegible to all (including me) so I did a little research, asked a passing oracle (thanks Sunbury :)) and plumped in - kicking off with a pen that saw me through O-levels (10 of them), A-levels (5 of them) & a degree... a Parker 25 (which was always filled with Parker Quink in Turquoise).

By no means an expensive pen, but a familiar one... well one thing has led to another and I now have a 15, a 45, a 17 "Lady" and a UK duofold (and a second 25...) and some bottles of ink (a black Quink - mostly acquired because I had an itchy nib finger couldn't wait for the order to arrive and a couple of bottles of Diamine - Damson and Aqua Blue - that I ordered online).

What can I say - the service from http://www.cultpens.com is magnificent - ordered it late Friday (too late I thought), got home on Saturday afternoon to a P739 from Sheila the postie...

Why those colours? Well the black Quink because for some reason it was £4 when the blue was £7... the Damson Diamine because it's a different and the Diamine Aqua Blue because it looks to be a pretty close match for the Parker Quink in Turquoise that I used in my formative years... Oh and I spotted in my local Sainsbury's that 10 packs of Parker cartridges were 70% off - 89p for 10.

I have noticed though that the Quink is a lot slower to become smudge resistant than the Diamine inks - the Quink takes around 5-6 secs, the Diamine is dry in under 2 - so the Diamine is great for throwing my appalling handwriting into very sharp definition :icon_sad:

Side anecdote: We were only allowed to use blue or black ink at school and I had to fight to be able to continue to use turquoise - which I was allowed to do on the technicality that the dictionary that the headmaster had described it as a "greenish blue" (ergo: it's blue and therefore allowed)

I have tried to use fountain pens the maximum possible.

There is a slight nostalgia to it which no gel pen can give...

But I like the thin nib ones rather than the parkers...

Might order one from neep as some of the pens in his site look pretty good

I have one that I used when I was a school. A steel Parker but that was because we had to use ink and not biro's. I always struggled as I'm left handed, it was very easy for to smudge.

Can you buy inks that dry extra fast?

If so I'll be tempted to get back into using it.

At the moment I use Parker Gel cartridges for my Parker biro's and form my cross pens it's just the usual biro refill that comes with it.

I use diamine in all my pens - currently I'm mostly using a Waterman Expert (a gift from my previous form) with Sapphire Blue and Sheaffer Preludes with Monaco Red (marking) and blue-black.

I covet a Visconti Homo Sapiens, and several Pilots. And some others, to be fair.

The Safari is a decent pen, popular with the lads at school with good reason.

Diamine do international standard short cartridges (which won't fit your Lamy) and very reasonably priced bottles in a rather nice bakelite-lidded design.

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Diamine_Ink_Bottles.html

They are going to last me literally years each, I reckon. In fact the Monaco Red already has.

Edit: I see the question I was answering has gone while I typed :). Never mind, I'll leave it up on the off-chance it's useful to anybody else.

thanks rick.

what do you guys use to clean the nibs of your pen if you fill it that way of course?

i used to use the blotting paper that came with lamy but its messy.

thanks to fiona i dont make a mess at all now and use a piece of shammy leather

I have a Lamy and a pen from our very own Rod Keep - a Padauk wood fountain pen which I put cartridges in. Very nice writer although I don't know much about pens. Oh and I have a Cross silver rollerball which was a graduation present. The day I got it it fell out of my top pocket and hit the stairs, leaving a sizeable dent in the lid!
Ballpoints I'm not keen on. I always feel I have to push the pen to get it to work. Cartridge pens glide. My dad swears that ballpoints ruin handwriting.

Back
Top Bottom