London 2012

antdad said:
Blimey I'd forgotten ELO were British or worse Brummies.

Why are you decrying the denizens of this great city? ELO are just one of the many great groups to have sprung up here - I can think of loads off the top of my head - Black Sabbath, Roy Wood, Joan Armatrading, that lot who sing 'Here it is Merry Christmas' ..... er, come on you West Midlanders, help me out.

UKRob said:
antdad said:

Why are you decrying the denizens of this great city? ELO are just one of the many great groups to have sprung up here - I can think of loads off the top of my head - Black Sabbath, Roy Wood, Joan Armatrading, that lot who sing 'Here it is Merry Christmas' ..... er, come on you West Midlanders, help me out.

How could you have forgotten the fact that "here it is, Merry Christmas" was by the incomparable Slade? I even say that as someone who has never been closer to the West Midlands than Gaydon and Leicester.:icon_rolleyes:

I can't help but feel a sense of "after the Lord Mayor's Show" today. I'm a bit miffed that the BBC won't have coverage of the Paralympics (the one brief period of a week and a half once every four years when I turn into a militant disabled type); with a bit of luck the "right on" types at Channel 4 will do it justice.

UKRob said:
antdad said:

;) Duran Duran, Ocean Colour Scene and UB40.

UB40 doesn't count though coz de is all black and before you say it I include Ali Campbell in that description.

Many years ago, I was at a party. I knew that around 10pm Steve Cram was going to have a crack at the 1500 metres world record. I asked the host if we could turn on the TV. The party came to a halt as we watched. That was the night Cram beat Saïd Aouita in Nice, becoming the first man ever to run 1500 metres in less than 3:30:00, on 16th July 1985.

Watching the 5000 metres race again and listening to Steve Cram is a reminder of what a gifted commentator he is. His choice of words, timing and pauses are superb.

While being at a great event is special, you miss the intimacy of TV coverage and the detail it offers. I so enjoyed watching the recording of the full race and the views of the stadium from so many different angles.

I'm back down to earth now. But like millions of others, so happy at what I've witnessed these past 16 days.

Mowed the lawn today. Where did all that grass come from?

Fido said:
Many years ago, I was at a party. I knew that around 10pm Steve Cram was going to have a crack at the 1500 metres world record. I asked the host if we could turn on the TV. The party came to a halt as we watched. That was the night Cram beat Saïd Aouita in Nice, becoming the first man ever to run 1500 metres in less than 3:30:00, on 16th July 1985.

Watching the 5000 metres race again and listening to Steve Cram is a reminder of what a gifted commentator he is. His choice of words, timing and pauses are superb.

While being at a great event is special, you miss the intimacy of TV coverage and the detail it offers. I so enjoyed watching the recording of the full race and the views of the stadium from so many different angles.

I'm back down to earth now. But like millions of others, so happy at what I've witnessed these past 16 days.

Mowed the lawn today. Where did all that grass come from?

Glad you enjoyed the rerun with commentary, Peter. I think Mo's reaction as he crossed the line in the 5,000 metres has to be the best I've seen in track and field since Kelly Holmes got her second gold in Athens.

Fantastic commentary from Cram.

They had a camera on him while he was doing it and he was on his feet in high excitement but the tone of his voice never changed.

Some great commentary from ex-athletes while, for me, Gary Lineker was very poor as a linkup presenter.

Tall_Paul said:
Some great commentary from ex-athletes while, for me, Gary Lineker was very poor as a linkup presenter.

As someone who is allergic to Association Football, I'm not used to his presentation style. All I can say is that, if he's no better presenting Match of the Day than he was the Olympics, then I feel sympathy for football fans (which isn't a commonplace occurrence).

Lineaker is paid shedloads by BBC, very little extra to actually "work", so would be madness not to us him. I don't think anyone could do a great job, when reacting to uncontrolled events, not even being in charge of the picture feeds - it was OBC, not BBC doing coverage, BBC was broadcasting. He is respected by athletes, which, like the others save Inverdale, have been there and done it. As a sport broadcaster he was good - far better than the 'presenters' at sailing and marathon for example who wanted to whip-up the jingoism. I don't need to be instructed on how to feel.

love'n'joy
Lloyd

lloydedwards said:
Lineaker is paid shedloads by BBC, very little extra to actually "work", so would be madness not to us him.

Which was exactly the point I made about using servicemen and women - that should have been the plan from the start instead of G4S.

Lloyd - please, please don't go off on one about them again - I think we all agree.

Rob:icon_rolleyes:

Boab said:
... I was at horse guards last week for the beach volleyball semis. I thought it was superbly organised and staffed by the professionals of our armed forces. Hyde park wasn't such a positive story.

Glad you enjoyed your time at Horse Guards Boab. Your comment made me smile as the Forces guys and girls at Horse Guards are from my neck of the woods here in the Fatherland. The majority you will have met came back from Afghanistan a couple of months ago and have been happy to support the Olympics - or at least be there with a smile on their faces :)
It's because of this type of attitude that i'm proud to be part of that shrinking organisation. Any complaining was done behind closed doors and certainly not after they had deployed to London (to my knowledge).
I was particularly impressed with the self restraint one Royal Engineer soldier showed when he was spat at and called a baby killer by a G4S employee.

Now.. to get them on leave - and myself... :icon_razz:

The day after Wiggos win, his wife tweeted that it was the Forces personnel that made the day special. Seem there was a lot of 'above and beyond' judging by the tweeter traffic.
I wont mention them Rob, but what about Coe repeating loudly and unchallenged a falsehood he was forced to retract in 2007? Or the £2m black hole Lord Moynihan is suddenly leaving at BOA.
I'm really looking forward to the Paralympics, there should be less sleaze.

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom