London 2012

Glad you had a great day, Peter - I must admit I'm jealous that you got to see Mo Farah's historic second gold. I always enjoy watching track and field, but I don't recall ever feeling jealous for someone who was there before. Whilst the roar came across on TV, I'm willing to bet (and I'm no betting man) that it captured barely 1% of the atmosphere.

Glad you enjoyed it Peter. I was glued to the screen at home too.

"We did it our way and have had a ball."

And we still are! £500m for the elite while cutting £145m from school sport, and, to me, the worst of all. Camoron announcing "competitive sport" to be done in schools, not exercise and training, where any is done. Another politician who knows nothing pandering to fellow bigots. On any level you are taught "Get fit to play, don't play to get fit". We have shown what wonderful ability and expertise we have in this country, and, sadly, what ignorant gobshites who belittle their often unpaid efforts.
Lets all get involved in the 'legacy', and deny these self agrandising leeches who've put nothing in!
"Britain delivered" - Really? We paid, but wasn't it multinationals in an "offshore" tax haven, taking advantage of wonderful volunteers who had to pay for the privilege. We certainly never came close to delivering financially or in jobs created. Our terrific creatives were largely volunteers too.
Loved the sport - especially people like our volleyball team who got no funding - but the failures are the ones who've rewarded themselves most. As a final insult, the auction of effects will go "into general Olympic funds"! No scrutiny, no responsibility, no accountability.
Please don't moan about "politics" as you will have seen, it is all about politics. Lets be honest, and revel in the successes, but also learn from the mistakes, failures and corruption - then we'll have a golden legacy.
When Kabbadi is included instead of high entry cost sports, everyone has a chance!
Terrific coverage by-and-large, unless you read the Telegraph - what is it with them?

RIP Sid Waddell. Most of the most wonderful commentary for the masses came from him. John Arlott for the pie-&-pint brigade!!!!

love'n'joy
Lloyd

I think you have made your point on the Olympic costs many times over Lloyd. I for one know where you stand and don't really need or want to hear it again.

Glad you enjoyed it so much Peter, I was at horse guards last week for the beach volleyball semis. I thought it was superbly organised and staffed by the professionals of our armed forces. Hyde park wasn't such a positive story.

Nice to include remastered footage of Lennon singing "Imagine" I'm no Beatles fan, but I always feel some regret that I'm too young to have heard him perform during his lifetime - I was only a few months old when he was shot.

I'm proud, but Great means Big, as in Bigger than Brittany.
The NBC commentator during the opening ceremony said
"If there was an award for country name that makes you smile, Djibouti would win the gold,"
I like Brittany, worked there for a while, and I'm content to live in its big neighbour.

I am glad we didn't let it slip with the closing ceremony - should have plugged our brewery industry with a taster for each athlete though! Loved the "wish you were here" cover and visuals, absolutely fantastic.
I'm looking forward to the paralympics - I know it's wicked, but I can't help giggling that a "drug cheat" will be anyone who hasn't taken their meds!!!

love'n'joy
Lloyd

I was dissapointed with some of the boxing judges, the Welsh guy Fred Evans was outclass in the one final no arguments there, but the Italian guy won that super heavyweight fight easily, terrible decision.

Jamie

I was really disappointed with the Aussie baiting. Usually I'm the cheerleader for rubbing Aussies noses in it - but fairly. One of the reasons for the success is that after their great Sidney Games, we spent ages there studying, and Australians were flown in by the plane load to help plan and run things. Shane Sutton, the head coach of Sky/gb cycling is Australian too.
And Boris today -
"Johnson said London was committed to ensuring a sporting legacy from the Olympics - and to providing thousands of jobs and homes."
No mention of failing to come even remotely close to the targets already missed, even though massively overspent.

It's as well to remember the nature of patriotism. Interesting observation I heard - It would appear that those who require massive financial rewards to perform, are exactly the wrong people we should ask to perform. Loyalty, satisfaction, etc as rewards seem to produce better results. Anyone going to tell the Politicos?

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom