Moderation Discussion (branched from Nishy's Farewell Thread)

jb - can I ask that we deal with one point at a time, please? It will just get too complicated, otherwise, with crossed communications and misunderstandings. Up to you, of course.

At a time when all hell was breaking lose, Nishy asked his question, you jumped in so I moved the lot, maybe locked the thread, I can't remember - and moved on to the next breakout of someone behaving "a bit emotionally high" and dealt with that. There are many more of you than I and it could well be that some babies were thrown out with the many tubs of bathwater I removed. You were out for whatever you were out for and may have been treated as roughly as I was being treated. The fact is that it was all a complete waste of time. You achieved nothing because you went about things the wrong way. If you have a grievance or grievances, address them to Admin. Admin are the people - the only people - who can change anything.

Of course there is inconsistency! Are the Mods supposed to read every single thread? Behave! Not going to happen! That's why we have the 'Flag' system - you don't like a post, you flag it and a red flag appears at he top of my pages, I click it and am taken directly to the problem post and given moderation options. Trust me, if I deleted all the flagged posts you would think moderation had gone Spanish Inquisition on you!

As I've said elsewhere recently, I don't give reasons for deleting a post anymore because members used to argue the toss endlessly, so now I rely on the "as we see fit" part of the use of forum agreement.

I find TSR to be the most easily understood place on the internet and, usually, a hell of a lot of fun. I love it!

Can I ask the mods a genuine question , do you follow a set of forum guidelines when moderating or are they your own personal guidelines ?

Reactions: Len
@JohnnyO - of your suggestions a few posts back, may I suggest you make them to Admin? Only they can create a general moaning forum for you. A thread just gets lost in time and space. Whilst I think it a grand idea for reasonable men, I fear it would turn into a moderation nightmare.

You make a very valid point about what must all the shenanigans of the last few days look like to newbies and potential newbies? One of a Mods jobs is to bear that in mind.

They have some guiding principals from Boab & HM but there is no point in appointing moderators if you don't trust their judgement.

You can only trust their judgement if you see what is happening & actually see the deleted posts otherwise it could be misplaced trust in their judgement.

Reactions: Len
It just strikes me as strange that newbies would get involved in knocking a forum they've just joined.

I'm not knocking the forum I would just like somethings clarified , which if they were we may possibly see more members posting a bit more .
Surely a member is a member or does a higher poster have more say

Take your point @Bechet, I guess the difficulty is that more reasonable members ( I'm already choosing to be offended on behalf of our women ) would just get on with it as, historically, we have always managed to do. If members feel it's pointless raising concerns constructively with Admin I guess the ' moany thread ' may not be enough to satisfy.

As for me, just the threat of Vinny ( not Joe ) calling me Treacle is mooore than enough to keep this old rascal in line !

JohnnyO

Back
Top Bottom