Neighbour built conservatory on the boundry**UPDATE**

RE: Neighbour built conservatory on the boundry

Gents thanks a lot for the advice,
I think I better wait until I hear back from the planning enforcement team. After that I will consult to a solicitor. I am not worried about the relations with neighbour as he proved himself to be a p**s taking c**t
I been told that conservatories can be 4m high, this is just under 4m high and 3.7m long

The right to light issue, would be my concern, which is why I asked for a pre photo. If the fence was the 6ft as is the one on the other side, then its not really taken much. But if it was a continuation of the 4ft or so one coming off the build. Then at a guess, I'd say its a lot darker in your back room than before, which would royally piss anyone off. When building extentions the effect on neighbours is always taken into account, consisting of height, width(from house) and length(neighbour to neighbour). That said, unless the local council takes the viewpoint that your neighbour has been unreasonable. You would almost certainly be looking at a long drawn out, costly dispute. Of which the outcome through the courts could eventually go to the toss of a coin(no rhyme or reason applicable to the outcome). Add to that the animosity of your neighbour, and the fact that people in your area will undoubtedly choose sides. Then ask yourself, if lifes long enough for this to really matter that much. If yes, man the barracades, if no, tell your neighbour he owes you one, and move on.
Sorry, got a bit carried away. But previously watched a good friend driven to a nervous breakdown over a very similar thing to this. IMO, its built, put some hanging baskets up and have a drink.

Thanks a lot Martyn, my main concern is, if it is going to affect the value and quick selling abilities of the house in the future if I decide to sell.

I tell you what would look good there, give you a little outdoor shelter in summer without cutting out light otherwise, fill in the gap well and visually disguise what is otherwise a sore thumb sticking out of next door ...

Pergola!

729d8l.jpg

Grow some wild roses or honeysuckle up the uprights, let it grow over ... sorted.

When we had our conservatory built, we were told that if the structure were predominantly brick or had permanent fixtures (plumbing/heating/electricity) then the structure must be built using "building regulations" and applied for "planning permission". If neither were done, you could file a complaint with the local planning council which shouldn't cost you anything and they could enforce the neighbors to take it down or modify it because the wall can't be built 'on' the property line. The wall is in breach of "easement" rules.
We left a gap of a foot between our wall and the existing fence because of this.

@Bechet

Yes it is...I imagine the wall by outside door/window frame is the same depth as the internal party wall. Half that measurement and you have the amount of infringement which'll probably be at around 5".

I was a roofer for 28 years and the one thing i can be sure of is that nothing should overhang your property. The guttering is therefore a problem

Mr_Smartepants said:
When we had our conservatory built, we were told that if the structure were predominantly brick or had permanent fixtures (plumbing/heating/electricity) then the structure must be built using "building regulations" and applied for "planning permission". If neither were done, you could file a complaint with the local planning council which shouldn't cost you anything and they could enforce the neighbors to take it down or modify it because the wall can't be built 'on' the property line. The wall is in breach of "easement" rules.
We left a gap of a foot between our wall and the existing fence because of this.

I been told exactly by another builder that I asked.
Lets see what the planning enforcement says, I hope they are fair. As they are pensioners with a disabled child and I am foreign with a non Christian name.

Holyzeus said:
I was a roofer for 28 years and the one thing i can be sure of is that nothing should overhang your property. The guttering is therefore a problem

Is it technically Cem's now? As in he could remove it and use it elsewhere? Like when trees overhang? :D

I did a couple of roofs that had quite complicated solutions to the guttering because nothing could overhang.

Sezer74 said:
As they are pensioners with a disabled child and I am foreign with a non Christian name.
Well (that's) told us all we need to know. You can't win this argument or the Daily Mail will have it as front page news for a week :icon_razz:

Seriously though, looking at the fence line, the wall is over the boundary.
How are they going to clean the windows, clean the gutters, clean the roof? They need to access your property.

Do you know WHEN the neighbours had the discussion with you about how it would affect you? Get it written on a calender, write out the conversation now, so if or when the council get involved you can provide proof of what was said.

Possible outcomes:
1. No change, and you get a frosty relation with your neighbours from now on.
2. Its demolished, moved in a foot and ditto.

There was no discussion, one day he came around and said, I will get a conservatory built, - I replied OK fine and how is it going to affect me? He answered: Nothing, instead of a wooden fence there will be a brick wall and that's it.
I assumed that they would built it next to the brick wall, I am not familiar with building works and rest of the legal stuff.
Last week when I came back from work found out that it has been used as an outer( 3rd ) wall.
When I asked if this is allowed and legal, he went absolutely mad using very aggressive and threatening language, got the builder on the phone, then asked me to speak to the builder.
Builder said he can cut the fascia and guttering of ( in that case where the rain water will go?) I replied as: I will be reporting this to the council and won't be talking about it until I hear from them.

... and that's where it should stop for now.

Just that sounds like the builder knows the plans might well have overstepped the mark, but he may well have been given assurances that it was all squared and good with you.

See the Council. Cool and calm, though, as things can take time to work their way through. Remain reasonable and don't put up red lines with anyone ... the process will take its course. There is a right and wrong in here and if the Council don't act (as in no breech of Planning Law) well, you can still see a Solicitor over boundary disputes, even just to clarify the situation in writing so that YOU know and anyone who might buy your home or their home will know.

Meanwhile, make the best of it.

Don't let it grind you down, get you angry or worked up. That pergola really would look nice and perhaps that wall would afford some real privacy for your outdoor patio space.

Go easy, lad. See what the Council say ...

Back
Top Bottom