Neighbour built conservatory on the boundry**UPDATE**

RE: Neighbour built conservatory on the boundry

Go with the pergola and grow stuff over it to cover, I would use the wall for football until the plants grow :D

Good Evening Gents,
Today I received an e-mail from the planning enforcement, saying that; they inspected the structure and needs planning permission so the neighbour is given 28 days to apply for a planning permission or remove the structure.
I want to say thank you for all your support, ideas and suggestions. They are most welcome and appreciated

Well that's a good first step toward a possibly favourable outcome! He will submit plans showing his structure extends to the boundary but not over it so you will need to object to his application showing that it does indeed encroach on your property - and I'm thinking of the wall, let alone the guttering.

You need to decide what outcome you would like - wall moved to his land, compensation, demolition? He might agree to compensation and then just not pay it.

Good luck!

Bechet45 said:
Well that's a good first step toward a possibly favourable outcome! He will submit plans showing his structure extends to the boundary but not over it so you will need to object to his application showing that it does indeed encroach on your property - and I'm thinking of the wall, let alone the guttering.

You need to decide what outcome you would like - wall moved to his land, compensation, demolition? He might agree to compensation and then just not pay it.

Good luck!
Thanks Bechet, I will book an appointment with the Citizens Advice and I will object the plan and ask it to be removed.

Things are moving, then ...

Keep your eye on the process and be in touch with the Council on this regularly. Get the name of the Officer handling this case. It's personal. Make it personal.

Again, don't let this get on top of you - there are procedures to follow and a process to go through.

Best of luck! Keep us informed how you go and if you've any other queries or concerns.

pjgh said:
Things are moving, then ...

Keep your eye on the process and be in touch with the Council on this regularly. Get the name of the Officer handling this case. It's personal. Make it personal.

Again, don't let this get on top of you - there are procedures to follow and a process to go through.

Best of luck! Keep us informed how you go and if you've any other queries or concerns.
Thanks a lot Paul, Yes I will
Thank you

Sezer74 said:
Thanks Bechet, I will book an appointment with the Citizens Advice and I will object the plan and ask it to be removed.

I'm not sure CAB will be of that much help but you can only ask, as mentioned you'll get a chance to object once the plans are submitted. The council should notify you and give you a chance to have your say and that is the time to seek advice from the planning office.

Also I don't think they would have asked for retrospective planning permission over "just" a boundary dispute so your neighbours may have also exceeded their permitted build. Again you can ask planning what that is and usually check the plans on-line, if not you're entitled to view the plans anytime.

They didn't but you can build a conservatory/extension without pp as long as you don't exceed the permitted build allowance (volume) or if say you were replacing a structure of similar scale, building control yes not a full planning app required.

They probably found something else they didn't like (besides boundary dispute) that's why I think they asked for full retrospective pp.

So if the neighbour had screwed his loaf and not been greedy, he could have built that without pp! I'm amazed! I had thought that as soon as 'permanent' got involved - bricks and mortar - you needed pp.

I'm winging it a bit but as long as the conservatory is within a certain size, at least a certain proportion of glass to brick, no knock though (permanent removal of outside rear doors/patio etc) and no utilities then no pp or bc is needed. Once you start knocking through then it's considered a full extension and characteristics like thermal efficiency need to be considered and of course conservatories are cack when it comes to that.

antdad said:
I'm winging it a bit but as long as the conservatory is within a certain size, at least a certain proportion of glass to brick, no knock though (permanent removal of outside rear doors/patio etc) and no utilities then no pp or bc is needed. Once you start knocking through then it's considered a full extension and characteristics like thermal efficiency need to be considered and of course conservatories are cack when it comes to that.

The build is classed as a lean to if its not incorperated into the main residence. In the picture supplied you can see French doors into the house still fitted. Retrospective planning applications are a real b*****d, so I'd say Sezer is on a winner. The drainage from the structure should also be looked at, in my area a soakaway would have to be dugout and formed 5meters from the build. I recon this mans ignorant behaviour is going to cost him dearly. It would probably be cheaper for him to offer to build you a mirror image conservatory off the shared wall, thereby increasing the value of your property:icon_razz:

I had a good look at the extension/conservatory guide both on private companies and government web sites, Yes you can have an extension/conservatory without pp within the given limits; that is up to 4m height and up to 3m depth(length) if semi-detached/4m detached. this one is 3.7m,
The wall and the boundary problem is apperantly a civil matter and got nothing to do with council, hence he suggested me to consult CAB.
Next week I will ask if his guttering, fascia or the whole wall is encroaching on my land, and clarify that as well.
Thanks a lot for all the support and suggestions, makes me feel more confident and not alone.

Back
Top Bottom