November 2017 Acquisitions

The Gotta is strictly speaking...not a new acquisition. A few years ago my brother-in-law got this NOS razor from an old barber in Hereford as a Christmas present for me. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. I dug it out a couple of weeks ago and sent it to @Fergiebilly to allow him to work his magic. It arrived back yesterday and now will be stored for a special shave mid month

The Gotta is strictly speaking...not a new acquisition. A few years ago my brother-in-law got this NOS razor from an old barber in Hereford as a Christmas present for me. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. I dug it out a couple of weeks ago and sent it to @Fergiebilly to allow him to work his magic. It arrived back yesterday and now will be stored for a special shave mid month
Corker of a Razor that Gotta..It Took a Beautiful Shaving Edge..:D:D

Billy

A reverse aquisition - had my Pitralon Swiss confiscated at airport as it is a 160ml bottle.
What an idiot - I knew 100ml was max, but took the chance and lost out ☹️
To make matters worse, he insisted on confiscated a tub of German shaving soap, despite it clearly being labeled as Rasierseife. I insisted it be opened, and it was a croap similar to Cella, but the Joker was having none of it and binned them both (or maybe took home for personal use?) [emoji35]

33e77aa858796a19fdd23219e4d7b274.jpg
If I press the like button on this post it doesn't mean that I liked what happened to you lol.

knc52.jpg

300 Voskhods (plus 3 Sputniks and 3 Rapira SS that came as a gift). Hopefully, the last batch of blades i buy till i die (i am currently at 5250+ blades).

Uneven edges and all, like true Rapiras (i opened a Rapira SS and the edge difference was even greater than the Voskhods, but at least in these blades, the rapira logo is properly printed, not like the Voskhod that i bought from a local store, that the part of the logo isn't printed, because too close to the edge).

knc52.jpg

300 Voskhods (plus 3 Sputniks and 3 Rapira SS that came as a gift). Hopefully, the last batch of blades i buy till i die (i am currently at 5250+ blades).

Uneven edges and all, like true Rapiras (i opened a Rapira SS and the edge difference was even greater than the Voskhods, but at least in these blades, the rapira logo is properly printed, not like the Voskhod that i bought from a local store, that the part of the logo isn't printed, because too close to the edge).
That's some quantity of russian made blades, i've also got a fondness for them too..they will last you a lifetime, and you can leave the remaining amount in you last will & testament.:D

Congrats @Obelix , they finally arrived. No customs then?
You really have blades for life :)
I never tried the Voskhoda and I am still searching for my go-to blade. Maybe I should buy a pack and try, many people swear it's amazing.

They were in the customs from October 28 until yesterday. But i didn't pay anything at the end. Maybe they were banging their heads against the wall, trying to understand what the sender was meaning. The Russian supposedly guy, sent them with a woman's name, as private, not as company. In the content, it's declared "les crayons" (after all, who in Italy doesn't speak french, right?! :rolleyes: ). Finally, in the area "valeur" (which i suppose one should write the value of the content), it's written 300 smudge. I mean, there is a sort of an incomprehensible writing below 300, like the signs you make up and down when you test a new pen. :D Probably at the customs they spent 5 minutes trying to decipher all this and at the end they though "to hell with it, i am going for lunch break". :p

So, at the end, like you had envisioned, all went well. Ordered in October 4, delivered November 7 and the postman actually did bother to come all the way to the door and ring the bell, instead of doing his "alternate version routine" of "it's rainning, i will pretend nobody was home and just leave you a notice to go to the post office and take it yourself". It could have been much worse! :oops:

That's some quantity of russian made blades, i've also got a fondness for them too..they will last you a lifetime, and you can leave the remaining amount in you last will & testament.:D

Actually, a member of the forum PMed me yesterday and made me present that Rapira blades have uneven edges. And it's true... I think quality control is a real problem in Rapira factory. So, i am rather happy that i have 300 of the rapira factory and 4950 from other factories. My only other Russian blade, is 1200 Astra SP. And i don't worry about them.

This is an unused Voskhod that i bought from a reputable italian shop:

2jaenb4.jpg

2j13b7t.jpg

As you can see, 1) there is a slight difference in the edge width and 2) the Rapira logo isn't fully printed.

The blades i received today (from Russian), have the Rapira logo fully printed, but they also have uneven edges, maybe even slightly more so. And i unwrapped a Rapira SS and the uneven edges are even more prominent than in the Voskhod. Also, the wax wrapper of one of the russian delivered Voskhods has a wrinkle and one edge is uneven, like it was sort of torn. Hey, but the logo is fully printed this time!

I don't know what's going on, but i have used 2 Voskhods from the italian tuck and it was the smoothest gliding blade WTG that i have used. Which is why i decided to make the "final push" and get 300 more from Russia. I suspect that there will be many duds, because all of this means poor attention to QC.

There are theories, that 1) Fake rapiras exist, 2) Ebayers sell Rapiras that didn't pass QC, 3) Factory has poor QC and blades come out with uneven edges.

I am more inclined to believe #3, but after i will have shaved with the new ones and compared them with the "italian tuck", i will be more certain. Thing is, bought locally, i would have paid about 57 EUR. Now i paid 22 EUR. Even if all are duds, i can live with that.

Actually, a member of the forum PMed me yesterday and made me present that Rapira blades have uneven edges. And it's true... I think quality control is a real problem in Rapira factory. So, i am rather happy that i have 300 of the rapira factory and 4950 from other factories. My only other Russian blade, is 1200 Astra SP. And i don't worry about them.

This is an unused Voskhod that i bought from a reputable italian shop:

2jaenb4.jpg

2j13b7t.jpg

As you can see, 1) there is a slight difference in the edge width and 2) the Rapira logo isn't fully printed.

The blades i received today (from Russian), have the Rapira logo fully printed, but they also have uneven edges, maybe even slightly more so. And i unwrapped a Rapira SS and the uneven edges are even more prominent than in the Voskhod. Also, the wax wrapper of one of the russian delivered Voskhods has a wrinkle and one edge is uneven, like it was sort of torn. Hey, but the logo is fully printed this time!

I don't know what's going on, but i have used 2 Voskhods from the italian tuck and it was the smoothest gliding blade WTG that i have used. Which is why i decided to make the "final push" and get 300 more from Russia. I suspect that there will be many duds, because all of this means poor attention to QC.

There are theories, that 1) Fake rapiras exist, 2) Ebayers sell Rapiras that didn't pass QC, 3) Factory has poor QC and blades come out with uneven edges.

I am more inclined to believe #3, but after i will have shaved with the new ones and compared them with the "italian tuck", i will be more certain. Thing is, bought locally, i would have paid about 57 EUR. Now i paid 22 EUR. Even if all are duds, i can live with that.
Point taken, but you will always get fakes, i've been lucky with all the russian made blades i've got,'so far', i bought them directly from the seller.stating the obvious, but what ever product you buy you'll always get a batch of dodgy ones every now and then when it massed produced, and poor attention to QC quality,the workers in these factories earn a pittance, so they won't be too bother if they see thousands of blades been made each day and the odd batch isn't to expected standards, but for the cost, as you've already stated i can live with that...what ever the blade i only use it twice, then it's binned and move on to a fresh one..life's to short.Regards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom