Option Five DE Razor

Great shave w/ the O5 this morning
wvwrae.jpg

My O5 has just been delivered :) And with those magical words on an extra label:" von zollamtlicher Behandlung befreit",
which in English means free from customs duty. Result! It could have something to do with the fact that O5 wrote "value 20 CH" on the declaration, which is about 18 €uros something... cough, cough, which is well under the limit for customs handling. How clever of them :cool:
I can't wait to try it out: after carving my chin up with a feather blade on Sunday ( the second or third time I've tried to get on with feather blades, never again, I looked like an extra from village of the damned when I was finished :eek: ), I think I'll try it for the first time with a Polsilver SI.
And, according to the GLS tracker, my new ( to me ) Merkur Vision that I bought from Chad, is being delivered today too. What a fantastic day! :D

Last edited:
My O5 has just been delivered :) And with those magical words on an extra label:" von zollamtlicher Behandlung befreit",
which in English means free from customs duty. Result! It could have something to do with the fact that O5 wrote "value 20 CH" on the declarartion, which is about 18 €uros something... cough, cough, which is well under the limit for customs handling. How clever of them :cool:
I can't wait to try it out: after carving my chin up with a feather blade on Sunday ( the second or third time I've tried to get on with feather blades, never again, I looked like an extra from village of the damned when I was finished :eek: ), I think I'll try it for the first time with a Polsilver.
And, according to the GLS tracker, my new ( to me ) Merkur Vision that I bought from Chad is being delivered today too. What a fantastic day! :D
When I first read your post, I thought " @GuitarTech must have been desperate to get hold of a Vision, if he bought it from Chad". Then the penny dropped, and I realised that it's the person, not the African country. My excuse is that it's been an arduous Christmas and Boxing Day, and someone had to drink that rather nice wine.
Good for you on the expense (lack of extra) bonus.

When I first read your post, I thought " @GuitarTech must have been desperate to get hold of a Vision, if he bought it from Chad". Then the penny dropped, and I realised that it's the person, not the African country. My excuse is that it's been an arduous Christmas and Boxing Day, and someone had to drink that rather nice wine.
Good for you on the expense (lack of extra) bonus.

Well, actually he's called cheesepiece on the forum, I should've mentioned that. It would've saved a lot of confusion :)

On monday morning i managed to get 2 cuts on my chin. Had to give it 3 days to heal. Never happened before at this spot with a DE. I hope it was due to a Crappy blade (Gillette Ruby) i normally dont use... so beware. It feels very safe, but still can bite!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

On monday morning i managed to get 2 cuts on my chin. Had to give it 3 days to heal. Never happened before at this spot with a DE. I hope it was due to a Crappy blade (Gillette Ruby) i normally dont use... so beware. It feels very safe, but still can bite!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Yeah, I've managed to cut myself too with it, using a polsilver, and also on my chin, which is my problem area anyway. You should've seen how my chin loooked after attempting to shave with the futur with a feather blade in it. I looked like one of the extras from the village of the damned :eek:
My thirst for adventure has ebbed momentarily, so at the moment I'm sticking to my Mergress XL, it's become my go to razor, with either a polsilver, ASP or personna red blade. Set at 2.5, and throw the blades away after 3 days of three pass shaves. My recipe for success at the moment :cool:

I have received mine O5 just before Christmas. Was lucky enough to get it without any customs so the price I have paid was the final which made me happy.

By now, I have used it ~10 times and I am still impressed how good it is.

But first - something about the look.
I own more than 300 razors now (my preciousssss) and the O5 design is something totally new and fresh among the standard look of DE razor. I like it very much.
It's solid piece of good looking metal tool with fancy design.
The only imperfection I could find is the "connection" between the head of razor and the handle. It's not 100% precise like for instance in Feather razor (which, for me, is the role model of the quality and workmanship) but it does not matter.

Regarding the shaving - I have used few different blades - starting with Feathers, through NOS Polsilvers (my favourites), Tritons and finally London Bridge (these are my main blades). All of them fits very fine with O5.
The shave was really close but as well very mild. I have always reached BBS without any irritation.
What is really different from other razors in my rotation is the "work specification"

WTG - it is really loud (which I like), most aggresive pass but very effective (usual razors are the loudest with ATG, least aggresive WTG and most ATG, least effective WTG and most ATG)
XTG - is milder than WTG and as well very effective
ATG - is really mild (which was very surprising for me) but still very effective

In general, for me, it works a little bit different but the final effect is really great.

I am fully satisfied with the O5 and it jumped to the top 3 of my rotation razors (together with Rockwell 6S and Oristo razor)

And just for information, below is the list of the razors I have used during last 1,5 year to which I could compare O5 (this is really long list)

Merkur Progress long handle
Merkur Progress short handle
Merkur Futur
Merkur Vision
Feather AS-D2
Weber with Muhle R89 cap
iKon OC
iKon SB
iKon OSS
iKon Slant
iKon X3
ATT S1 Slant
ATT S2 Slant
Barbaros TR-1
Standard Razors
Parker A1R
Oristo
Rockwell 6S
Maggard V2A
Maggard V3
Maggard MR18C
Muhle R89
Muhle R41
Gillette Black Beauty
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette Fatboy
Rimei
Wilkinson Classic

I must admit that the closeness I get shaving with Option Five is best of my DE razors. When I used Gillette cartridges like Fusion I always got very close shaves which are almost impossible to get with DE razors. But shaving with DE razor is so much funnier and enjoyment. Option Five gives this same feeling of closeness and 24 hrs after shave I notice the stubble is less than after I shaved with my other DEs. But Option Five is not the easiest razor. It takes more time as I have to pay more attention when shaving with it.

Hello fellow shavers,

How is everyone doing?

We would like to thank you for the warm welcome you gave to the new Option Five DE razor.

If you haven't tried it yet, now is the perfect time to give it a try.

We offer 10% OFF & FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING on www.optionfive.ch for all orders placed before the 1st of March.

Discount code: optionfive10

If you have any questions about the razor please contact us at john@optionfive.ch

Happy shaving!

Your Option Five team

which in English means free from customs duty. Result! It could have something to do with the fact that O5 wrote "value 20 CH" on the declaration, which is about 18 €uros something... cough, cough, which is well under the limit for customs handling. How clever of them :cool:
I can't wait to try it out: after carving my chin up with a feather blade on Sunday ( the second or third time I've tried to get on with feather blades, never again, I looked like an extra from village of the damned when I was finished :eek: ), I think I'll try it for the first time with a Polsilver SI.
And, according to the GLS tracker, my new ( to me ) Merkur Vision that I bought from Chad, is being delivered today too. What a fantastic day! :D

Probably more to do with the fact that Switzerland is part of the Free Trade Area, so no customs duty is payable regardless of value.

i signed up specifically for this, i think i got one of these recently in the post and will be giving it to my husband but im wondering if you can get extra blades? I got the razor from Gratisfaction UK and i had to pay the postage but i dont want to give the present if its just going to last a few months.

Back
Top Bottom