Personal torture

Ok so I have decided, (probably against my better judgment ) to try and shave with kit that you can walk into a shop and buy,Just for fun,for one week,but no cartrage razors,but a de razor and at minimal cost. This shouldn't be that difficult since shops round dartford have started stocking things of use. Things I have got to day
A Wilkinson sword brush,at£3.99(asda)
Palmolive classic at 49p(asda) interesting smell that palm extract.
So I can't use the any things from the razor draw all the lovely gillette's,straight razors,rolls razors,blades,brushes,soaps,creams,due to the fact that they have been ordered over the web, so now the razor,it's a toss up between the boots one,(that looks strangely like a gillette 3000)
or a wilkinson sword classic, but it all depends on what I can get, open to suggestions between the two?

I've heard more good things about the boots one.
I didn't like the boots one when I first started, before I'd got the hang of DE shaving, but I'm tempted to try again.

I think this is a great idea by the way.
Interested to hear how it goes. Bet you get the full kit for less than a modern cartridge razor with 2 cartridges and a can of goo.

Thanks, I was looking at the boots one this afternoon,and was very tempted ,but want to see boots at bluewater for the wilkison classic, this should be a very interesting experiment, since I have grown accustom to the luxury of my vintage razors,I probably will have withdrawal issues from them :icon_lol: I do have to say the wilkinson sword brush has the last chicken in the butchers shop look when put next to the thiers issard brush might take a pick and post it in a mo.

20120514170.jpg

Ok when you have stoped pissing your self with laughter, at the last chicken in the butchers shop look of the wilkinson sword brush. I know it looks a bit manky when compaired to the Thiers Issard brush, but let's call it a tool for the job shall we! I am confedent that it will do the job for witch it was made for, well ish.

RB73 said:
Is that one on the right a fly fishing lure.

I know it looks a bit like one don't it , beginning to wounder if it is one, :icon_lol: rest assured this sorry looking object ain't the worst brush in dartford, o'no not by a long shot. in wilkinsons I spotted ,a brush for under £1, I had to be physically restrained by the wife not to get it. It was sooo bad I think I would willingly use a toilet brush instead,one with a bit of poo on it!!

John said:
RB73 said:

I know it looks a bit like one don't it , beginning to wounder if it is one, :icon_lol: rest assured this sorry looking object ain't the worst brush in dartford, o'no not by a long shot. in wilkinsons I spotted ,a brush for under £1, I had to be physically restrained by the wife not to get it. It was sooo bad I think I would willingly use a toilet brush instead,one with a bit of poo on it!!

Could give it a run out over at five arches/cray meadow :icon_razz:

RB73 said:
John said:
RB73 said:

Could give it a run out over at five arches/cray meadow :icon_razz:
When I have finished with it ,I can post it to you willingly ,the trout would probably like the bristles better than my face:idea::icon_lol:

I used to use a wilki razor back in the early 90s as my go to de, to be honest at the time i never thought about the idea of vintage razors. Also this new fangled thin called the interweb was kinda jus starting out at the time and ebay was a distant thought in some now rich cnuts brain.
Anyway although not very ferce the wilki always served me well

:icon_lol:
fatboy1971 said:
I used to use a wilki razor back in the early 90s as my go to de, to be honest at the time i never thought about the idea of vintage razors. Also this new fangled thin called the interweb was kinda jus starting out at the time and ebay was a distant thought in some now rich cnuts brain.
Anyway although not very ferce the wilki always served me well
:icon_lol:
I know how you feel, if a man wants to go to the high street and buy himself something nice to shave with ,forget it you might as well strip all your cloths off and slither across broken glass to get any satisfaction, as you can probably tell by the insulting brush in the comparison picture,yes you can buy things that will do the job,but it's not what you want and the chances are you ain't going to like it much. The freedom of choice ? Forget that the dice are well and truly loded:mad:

ok so I couldent dicide between the boots or the wilkinson sword classic, so have got both with some palmolive shaving cream
20120515173.jpg

pictured so you know what to look out for
first impressions of the boots DE razor, well its cheap and I do love the bendy plastic handle, but some people have said some good things about it so see how it shaves.
the wilkinson sword classic, once again plastic but with a mettle core in the handle,so will be an intresting shave.
the cost.....
the boots DE razor £3.79 sold with 5 blades
the wilkinson sword classic £4.16 sold with 5 blades
the palmolive shaving stick £0.49p
the palmolive shaving cream £2.03p
the wilkinson sword brush £3.99p
so the cost is still pretty low I have noticed that ASDA sell personna DE blades in a pack of 10 for £1.89 (made in israel)
so tomrow morning let my personal hell begin then.... ah I should point out that I did walk into John lewis and buy a Kent BK2 brush and some tayolr's sandlewood shaving cream a while back, so some nice things are avalable(not that somebody new to DE shaving will know that)

first up the wilkison sword classic palmolive cream and the "bog brush"......
20120516174.jpg

shaving with the wilkinson clasic, is pritty good all things considering,it managed to shave good enough to give me a passable shave, looking from a distance its very good so a thumbs up for that at least, but now the nitty gritty, running the razor around my face felt dead, no feed back at all and as for the 30 dregees angle, its in there some where, looking at this razor from some one new to DE shaving it would prove to them that it is possable to shave with out a cartridge razor,but it will not teach you a god dam thing about DE shaving at all, so for instance if you started with one, and then joined TSR and was recominded a real one, say a EJ the step up will be a big one, due to all the bad habbits you would have picked up with the wilkinson, its goner be hack and slash time,Now for that "bog brush" oops the wilkinson sword brush, what can I say about it?........................................................................................................thinking..........................................still thinking ...........................................................................Ok its not that good with soap, but works much better with the palmolive cream, and I even painted the lather to thicken it up on my face so its of some use, but not exzatly the last word in luxury, that's about as polite as I will go with that brush. And now the cream pritty good for the money, it works, but for my face its flagging behind the shaving stick,lacking that soapy lube for the blade to glide on,agin its there, but only just enough to get the job done. Tomorow it's the Boots DE so razor wise I know roughly whare I stand.... But how good is it?

al_kaholik said:
While you are at Asda getting some personnas, get yourself a tube of Groomed shave cream. :)

will be shopping on friday so will pop in to asda :idea:

cruciate said:
Loving this thread :)
Keep em coming!

you know what, I am looking forward to shaving with the boots razor tomorrow It should be intresting to see how it compairs to my vintage tech razors :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom